My ram cache is not falling on "C" (870 evo) instead its falling on "E" drive which is my 2nd HDD

Dwarakan

I bought my PC and assembled back in 2016, when i first bought it i used a 512gb HDD for "C" drive and had 2 more HDD for more storage. When i bought 870 EVO in 2018 and changed my "C" drive into it with full complete fresh installation but i did not remove the 512GB since i had partitioned it so couldnt format the remaining drive so i just formatted old "C" drive in 512HB HDD and installed fresh windows 10 on 870 EVO. I dint know the cache of the system is still on the 512GB HDD till now. while i recently formatted the 512 HDD to make it into a single drive as it was 2 partitioned as before and everything was completely fine for a brief time. Until i noticed that my PC was super slow since my last format of "C" drive and the cache drive is still in the HDD. When i end up using all my RAM(8GB only) space the memory cache is taken from HDD and not from NVME drive which is "C" drive. This really slowed my PC and was unable to work since the cache memory is written to normal HDD. I do wonder how default cache dont turn up in "C" drive. Now i disconnect that drive and try restarting my system to check it would help but not even BIOS screen is showing up to do something. Please help me to understand how a memory cache is not allocated to "C" drive which every is currently in use rather than old HDD which it was during the first time system boot. Is it a motherboard BIOS thing or anything else.

MY previous drive details

1. 512GB HDD "c"

2. 1TB HDD "d"

3. 2TB HDD "e"

My current drive as fallows

1. 500GB 870 EVO "c"

2. 1TB HDD "d"

3. 512GB HDD "e"

4. 2TB HDD "f"

Is there any way to fix this or formatting all my hard disk and reinstall windows fresh with every drive empty is only solution.

Note: i have files date back 10 yrs and so i would try to back it up with new drive and i need to know if this preset will fallow there too by just coping the drive or like cloning..

Do an image backup of Windows, use macrium reflect or the built in Windows image backup in settings. Once completed you can format the drive with Windows on it and then restore Windows from the image backup you just created. You could wipe all drives in the computer or just the ones that the problem occurs on, so the C and E drives then restore from the image backup, it will get Windows and all of its apps and files. You could also just do a file history backup that saves all of your pictures, documents, and files. It doesn't get your programs/applications or Windows settings but it does get your User Data. In either case with an Image or File History backup you don't want to format the drive those are saved to, so save it to one of the drives you don't need to format or to an external drive. 

You could also if it's just a partition that has your cache data, you can use Aomei partition assistant to transfer the partition needed to the correct drive. You would just need to resize it's current partitions to fit the new one and then essentially clone it over to the correct drive. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Thanks for the reply, i would need additional drive to clone too. Rather i would buy a 8TB  and transfer all the files i need and format all this other drive.

1st, i need to know how did this happened , is it possible to happen like this. This is my 3rd build pc and i have never seen this happen in previous as it all had ssd as standard while i bought it so it had no problem. I still wanna know whats the main cause of this problem the bios or motherboard that first allocate the drive status and things while first boot.

2nd, i cannot on my pc now, screen is black and no output from board to monitor. even though all hdd and system works and spin no display. not even the bios startup to press "dell" key window to see. so an solution for this would be much appreciated.

33 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Do an image backup of Windows, use macrium reflect or the built in Windows image backup in settings. Once completed you can format the drive with Windows on it and then restore Windows from the image backup you just created. You could wipe all drives in the computer or just the ones that the problem occurs on, so the C and E drives then restore from the image backup, it will get Windows and all of its apps and files. You could also just do a file history backup that saves all of your pictures, documents, and files. It doesn't get your programs/applications or Windows settings but it does get your User Data. In either case with an Image or File History backup you don't want to format the drive those are saved to, so save it to one of the drives you don't need to format or to an external drive. 

You could also if it's just a partition that has your cache data, you can use Aomei partition assistant to transfer the partition needed to the correct drive. You would just need to resize it's current partitions to fit the new one and then essentially clone it over to the correct drive. 

just to be clear, is this what you're talking about? because there is no 'ram cache' in windows 10 afaik... 

virtual-memory-windows-10.jpg.a30176326eefa3b6a19f2253f1090491.jpg

and if that is the case, can't you just change the drive letter? 

I think even if you can't, there'll be probably ways to do it anyway - which I don't know, I just wanted to clarify what we're talking about, and reinstalling an OS to change a 'cache' seems rather extreme to me. 🤔

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

just to be clear, is this what you're talking about? because there is no 'ram cache' in windows 10 afaik... 

virtual-memory-windows-10.jpg.a30176326eefa3b6a19f2253f1090491.jpg

and if that is the case, can't you just change the drive letter? 

I think even if you can't, there'll be probably ways to do it anyway - which I don't know, I just wanted to clarify what we're talking about, and reinstalling an OS to change a 'cache' seems rather extreme to me. 🤔

You may be right i guess. I  will check this , can you point me how to open this window. BUT now my system lies dead with no output to monitor or even bios screen to start with, any solution for it?!

1 hour ago, Dwarakan said:

You may be right i guess. I  will check this , can you point me how to open this window.

To be honest I'm not clear about how you have a partition for the virtual memory, and I also don't know why you think it's on the 'wrong' drive - which may be, but it's very unusual, even if the user sets this it should still be automatically on the OS drive, by default. 

in almost all cases its best to let windows handle this. 

Anyways here's how you get to the setting. 

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-virtual-memory-size-windows-10?amp

Also FYI I can't imagine *thats* why your pc was slow, I think there might be something else wrong with it, because this page file system doesn't even get used typically, it's more of a safety net if anything as far I understand it. 

mine is set to 5888mb by the system btw (which I guess can change) 

20210305_072332.thumb.jpg.559a5687bdc41de9b0888d5780458347.jpg

zero 'page file' usage 🤷🏼

1 hour ago, Dwarakan said:

now my system lies dead with no output to monitor or even bios screen to start with, any solution for it?!

I don't have a solution for that, how did this even happen - what where you doing last when it worked? 

kinda sounds like maybe the hard drive is bad or something but without further information I have no idea why it's not booting up, that's curious. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

12 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

To be honest I'm not clear about how you have a partition for the virtual memory, and I also don't know why you think it's on the 'wrong' drive - which may be, but it's very unusual, even if the user sets this it should still be automatically on the OS drive, by default. 

in almost all cases its best to let windows handle this. 

Anyways here's how you get to the setting. 

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-virtual-memory-size-windows-10?amp

Also FYI I can't imagine *thats* why your pc was slow, I think there might be something else wrong with it, because this page file system doesn't even get used typically, it's more of a safety net if anything as far I understand it. 

mine is set to 5888mb by the system btw (which I guess can change) 

20210305_072332.thumb.jpg.559a5687bdc41de9b0888d5780458347.jpg

zero 'page file' usage 🤷🏼

I don't have a solution for that, how did this even happen - what where you doing last when it worked? 

kinda sounds like maybe the hard drive is bad or something but without further information I have no idea why it's not booting up, that's curious. 

Now i have a more weird thing. i removed all my drives including NVME, i have a pc for parents and it has OS in HDD(system is old config windows 7 though). I inserted that and everything worked just fine, it booted up and went into OS. When i tried again removing this working hdd and my 870EVO again it dint boot up same blank screen no bios what so ever. Then i changed RAM to different slot and strangely it booted up and went inside OS. This seems so strange because during HDD(my parents) booted up it was in same RAM slot as before.

Well anyway now its working i have kept all my other hdd out of it... I will keep your suggestions in mind for next time if something similar happened and my trick wont work.... Big Thanks.