Can I get my data back from this drive ?

Justaphysicsnerd

So, the story goes as follows....I had a Laptop, a Dell, I had installed a SATA III SSD (Samsung 860 EVO). Let's just say something happened in which my laptop was thrown with lots of force, the whole laptop shattered to pieces. Fortunately I was able to extract the drive from its enclosure and there was no visible damage. But when I plugged it into my new PC via a SATA to USB adapter/enclosure thingy the drive was not detected in windows or the BIOS. So my question is can I get my data back ? If so, how ? Can I do it myself via some software or would I need to send it to a Samsung service center ? If you are wondering the blue LED on the SATA to USB adapter was lit when I plugged it in.

8 minutes ago, Justaphysicsnerd said:

If you are wondering the blue LED on the SATA to USB adapter was lit when I plugged it in.

Without knowing what SATA to USB dock you are using no-one will know what that light means. Does it mean error? Does it mean it's powered? Does it mean it's reading from the drive? No-one knows. Check the manual for the dock to see what the light means.

You're better off plugging it directly in to the PC. External drive docks can be a bit unreliable at times. If it's still not detected when plugged in to the PC directly it's likely dead.

8 minutes ago, Justaphysicsnerd said:

Can I do it myself via some software or would I need to send it to a Samsung service center ?

If the drive isn't detected by the system then software isn't going to help.

> Moved to Storage Devices

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Without knowing what SATA to USB dock you are using

Its an "Eira" SATA 2.5 inch to USB enclosure and the box didn't come with a manual.

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

You're better off plugging it directly in to the PC

My new PC (a laptop) doesn't support SATA drives, it only supports M.2, you can blame HP for that.

Does the drive appear in the drive manager or the device manager on Windows?

1 minute ago, IAmAndre said:

Does the drive appear in the drive manager or the device manager on Windows?

Nope

1 minute ago, Justaphysicsnerd said:

Nope

Then does the drive itself appear in the BIOS or just the adapter?

1 minute ago, IAmAndre said:

Then does the drive itself appear in the BIOS or just the adapter?

It doesn't appear in the BIOS either

While you are using usb-sata there is no way to be sure is there is an issue with ssd, or the adapter. Have to find a way to attach it directly somewhere...

Also if it is not detected it might have been damaged too, it'll have to be disassembled and inspected at least.  If you need the data the best way would be using some data recovery company. Also samsung is not going to help you here - warranty does not cover physical damage and even if it did they do not care about your data at all.

go to a computer shop and ask them to test the drive for you (to at least see if it is still alive). Also have you plugged in the dock into an USB 3.0 port? Some docks/external drives won't even power if plugged into an USB 2.0 port

Or find a friend with a desktop PC you could plug it in.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2