AMD Driver Unusual Behavior - Windows stuck at 1280*1024 60Hz

pokerdog

I've been experiencing a very weird issue and googling isn't turning up anything. I've reported the behavior to AMD multiple times but got no response.

What will happen, is that sometimes when waking my monitor from sleep Windows will have changed from my monitor's native resolution and refresh rate to 1280*1024 60Hz. It will not change back unless I disconnect the monitor from the computer or reset the driver. Even times when I wake the monitor and it is still proper resolution, open windows have been moved around and resized. Other times I've walked by my computer while idle, the screen has turned on staying blank and going back to sleep. I suspect this is related.

I first started to notice this with my previous AMD card beginning with driver stack 20.11.2 (November WHQL release for 6000 series). I rolled back and had no issue. Eventually I acquired the 6800 and had no choice but to use 20.11.2 stack. Ever since then with each new driver revision the problem persists and I'm not sure what I can do.

Environment:

Windows 10 20H2

AMD Reference 6800

LG 34GK950F (Native 3440*1440 144Hz connected over DisplayPort)

If anyone has any suggestions it would be very appreciated.

Hey pokerdog!

It is a common issue for most of the LG ultrawide monitors. I have the same issue with my 34GK950F monitor.

You can read more on (I don't know if linking is allowed:

- AMD Community page in Drivers & Software section (look for the thread: "Adrenaline - Ultrawide Resolution Issue on Wakeup")

- LG US Community page under Monitors / UltraGear Gaming Monitors section (most last entries are for the same issue)

You have currently two workarounds:

- turn monitor off and back on (works for me) but annoying as hell and open windows will be messed up

- use HDMi cable, but you will be stuck at 85Hz refresh rate

For me the last Adrenalin driver that works is 20.11.1. (I use an 5700 XT card)

Either AMD releases a fix with one of the next driver updates, or LG releases an updated firmware with an option to disable deep sleep (apparently this is the issue).

Nvidia graphic cards are affected as well, so it is not just an AMD driver issue. LG support is ridiculous...

Thanks for this VidKo, it's somewhat assuring I'm not the only one experiencing this but also annoying that AMD seems relatively silent on the issue. Will just have to keep submitted bug reports while it's in the problem state to try to force their hand.

I think it is LG's issue, as I tested it with Nvidia GPU and had the same issue, which baffles me that it works on AMD Adrenaline 20.11.1 and older versions, but not on any Adrenaline released afterwards. ASUS monitors also had the same issue which was fixed with a new monitor firmware that added an option to disable deep sleep on the monitor.

This is unfortunately an issue where each company will end up just pointing the finger at the other, especially knowing it worked fine with an older driver stack. LG is just ignoring reports of the issue.

• 1 month later...

I installed the latest driver, 21.4.1, re-connected to displayport overnight and returned to not find the resolution changed or evidence that windows had resized at all. Requires more time to test but I'm hoping it's been resolved.