Twitter beats clubhouse, rolls out spaces beta for Android users earlier.

Summary

Clubhouse, the hit audio chat room app, which recently hit a 1 bn dollar evaluation, has a new competitor in Social media major, Twitter. Until now, clubhouse was only available for iOS users. Now, Twitter is rolling out it's clubhouse competitor, spaces to Android users(Spaces beta for iOS already exists). It now seems that Twitter and clubhouse are entering the war for the best audio chats. Clubhouse has promised an android app, but the only way to access it right now is through an unofficial app, on GitHub.

image.png.ade65717a7905a35755b97fe74957e76.png

Quotes

This fast pace has now led Twitter to beat its rival Clubhouse — the app currently leading the “social audio” market — to offer support for Android. Today, Clubhouse remains iOS-only in addition to being invite-only.

My thoughts

Twitter is currently 'uncool' and Clubhouse is all about the coolness. However the tight integration with Twitter means that jumping and using spaces will be much easier. The android release, though still limited, amps up the heat in this segment. I expect to see Mr. Zuckerberg and co. to throw in the towel themselves.

Currently, there is no stopping the clubhouse juggernaut. 

It can be the start of another social media empire(clubhouse), additional ammo for twitter, or maybe Facebook getting more control.

Sources

https://techcrunch.com/2021/03/02/twitter-spaces-arrives-on-android-ahead-of-clubhouse/

https://9to5google.com/2021/02/26/clubhouse-android-development/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clubhouse_(app)

Never really heard of 'Clubhouse', anyway from the looks of it, either twitter will soon replace it, if the implementation of the feature is ok, or at some point in the future a giant like Facebook or Google might end up buying it. Either way I don't have any interest in the feature on twitter or the app.

21 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Never really heard of 'Clubhouse', anyway from the looks of it, either twitter will soon replace it, if the implementation of the feature is ok, or at some point in the future a giant like Facebook or Google might end up buying it. Either way I don't have any interest in the feature on twitter or the app.

I don't think so. Sure, it is not being managed very well, by the looks of it(they haven't finished an android client and come out of beta with unicorn status for nearly 6 months now). This might be a new market. Every medium is being conquered in social media. Yt and tiktok for video, Facebook and Twitter for text and microblogs, Instagram for photos. Maybe, audio might become the next big thing. Twitter is uncool, and people use a platform because of its coolness. Instagram is 'cool', and people use it. Facebook is uncool, and people are leaving. Similarly clubhouse is considered cool cuz Elon uses it.

It will be interesting to see Facebook/Google trying to buy out Google because of the regulatory drama. 

Yikes

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

So this is just a group phone call ?

8 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

So this is just a group phone call ?

Clubhouse is a worse version of Discord for rich celebrities and now Twitter has their own version of that I guess.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

4 hours ago, Fooshi said:

>audio chat

>iOS exclusive currently

LMAO

Just use Discord and have a significantly better experience.

I don't know. The main thing going for Clubhouse is the exclusivity. It is like going to a physical club.

Clubhouse was made to be for entrepreneurs and techies. It went mainstream with Elon Musk twitting that he’ll be on the platform for a chat in which he “spontaneously” called up the Robinhood founder and grilled him on the trading fiasco.

The platform is kinda neat but it has issues. As of a couple of weeks ago, the room sizes were limited to about 6000 users. So for instance when everyone tried to get on that Elon Musk call, only 6000 people could listen in. Others had to watch YouTube streams of it from people who got in.

I don’t know if the platform will be successful over the long run. But as long as people I follow do exclusive calls there, I’ll have to use it.