Overclock Past MSI Afterburner Limit

Most older graphics cards have some true overclocking potential, but that potential is often restricted by the limits of MSI Afterburner.

However, it is possible for this potential to be unlocked, allowing for extra use and performance to be squeezed out of these ancient beasts,

which is why I'm showing you how to overclock your GPU past the limits provided by MSI Afterburner.

Things You'll Need:

MSI Afterburner

Cheat Engine

Cheat Table For Overclocking

Overclocking Know-How

Once you download all the files you need, follow these steps:

1. Install MSI Afterburner

AfterburnerSetup.PNG.8fef7530bc2c4347b324ed678066d08b.PNG

Once you download the MSI Afterburner setup, run it and install as any other program.

Once it's done, open it.

2. Install Cheat Engine

CESetup.PNG.75f870f5fc5429aad86159611a5d4c5a.PNG

Although the setup may look different from your usual program, just follow the installation process.

3. Setup Cheat Tables

Remember the cheat table from the "Things You Need" list? We will need to move it to the proper directory so we can use it.

If there isn't a folder titled,"My Cheat Tables" in your documents, you will need to create it. Just right click and create a new folder.

Then, name it,"My Cheat Tables".

CheatTableFolder.PNG.88234fef8ba64f36cb60743106604529.PNG

Then, move the MSIAfterburner.CT file we downloaded earlier to this folder.

4. Start Overclocking

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for ANY DAMAGE to your graphics card. Continue at your own risk!

Now that we have installed all of the programs we need, we need to launch them.

Click on these new shortcuts on your desktop.

DesktopShortcuts.PNG.89b208df930beeb0d619e1e98c0169f9.PNG

Now, switch to the Cheat Engine window and click on the magnifying glass.

CE.PNG.aeb9421c8d1411b5e219d9b8f603634e.PNG

Then, select MSI Afterburner and click "Open".

SelectProcess.PNG.156d8895947ea99fff705fdda66d32bc.PNG

Now, you should be prompted to load the associated table. Just click "Yes".

LoadTable.PNG.c51500199f4797739463ff220aaafc16.PNG

Now, you should have a list of values at the bottom of the window.

CheatTable.PNG.ec2800f2dc02b67e993494b4d8c0a608.PNG

Each value is self-explanatory and should be easy to get used to.

First, double-click the number of the value you want to modify. (Change "____ Limit" only, as the values of the clock speeds themselves are for debugging purposes.)

Then, you should be prompted to enter the value you want to replace it with. Type the value you would like to set it to, and press "OK".

ChangeValue.PNG.a56aa7c0b53fe44d9d25f24779a87d74.PNG

Then, go to MSI Afterburner and move the associated slider.

CoreClock.PNG.04baa44a57ebc6ae620f3841efe8dad5.PNG

Then, your should have your maybe-dangerous overclock!

Now, you can enjoy extra performance in your favorite video games! (And many more!)

MSIInfo.PNG.ba611b751e2b80e74efdae3f5da8d37e.PNG

Cool!

side note, there is a member guides subforum.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

So sliders are usually locked on the BIOS-level... is there any actual change pushing these sliders higher by software-level hack?

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

You do realize that MSI Afterburner and EVGA Precision, simply communicate with the Nvidia drivers. The driver isn't dumb. And the driver OC values are acquired from GPU BIOS...

Unless you can prove otherwise, I am most confident that the new values are simply ignored or normally max is picked

1 minute ago, Heliian said:

My card crashes with msi afterburner alone thanks. 

then don't push it so high??? like you don't just infinitely max out the card and it runs, stability is a very important and precise thing to work with, your mileage will vary

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

7 minutes ago, Heliian said:

My card crashes with msi afterburner alone thanks. 

Some cards don't oc well. Some on the otherhand (my laptop) have really good overhead. That hd3200 almost doubled in perf after I oced it.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, DaJakerBoss said:

then don't push it so high??? like you don't just infinitely max out the card and it runs, stability is a very important and precise thing to work with, your mileage will vary

Yes, it's perfectly stable.  I was merely commenting that there was no need for anything beyond that in my case. 

On 3/2/2021 at 6:46 PM, GoodBytes said:

You do realize that MSI Afterburner and EVGA Precision, simply communicate with the Nvidia drivers. The driver isn't dumb. And the driver OC values are acquired from GPU BIOS...

Unless you can prove otherwise, I am most confident that the new values are simply ignored or normally max is picked

Pretty sure you would modify AB .cfg and change unofficial OC mode from 0 to 1. That would increase the sliders on "older cards" or just not use after burner at all. 

There's plenty of legacy cards that where not bios capped. Most of the time if people want/wanted more clocks would water cool because a lot of video cards where not capable of maxing sliders.

My 9600gso would be a good example. But I no longer have the card to demonstrate unfortunately.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2021 at 4:46 PM, GoodBytes said:

Although this is true in most cases, the limit usually isn't capped to MSI Afterburner's limit, and most GPUs become unstable or crash before hitting the hard limit set on the GPU's BIOS.

• 1 year later...

I cant seem to modify the percentage limit of the voltage, it only shows 0 as the max voltage and thats not accurate, is this a problem with nvidia gpus? do i need an AMD one?