Threadripper Server/Workstation

Budget (including currency): $4000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mainly used as a workstation, a lot of data processing, also running multiple databases. 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QFybDc it will be running ubuntu server and will rarely need a graphics card. I have a 3080 that I can use until I can buy a less expensive card to put into it.

If you guys have any better recommendations for parts I would love to hear them. 

LGTM. Maybe more ram, but you can add another 4x32gb later on anyway.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

5 minutes ago, igormp said:

LGTM. Maybe more ram, but you can add another 4x32gb later on anyway.

I'll look into it see if it is beneficial to buy all 256gb right now. I currently have a server with 96gb ram which has been fine. I anticipate I might upgrade to 256gb in the future but at that point I might just go with AWS.

3 minutes ago, DevonHayes said:

I'll look into it see if it is beneficial to buy all 256gb right now. I currently have a server with 96gb ram which has been fine. I anticipate I might upgrade to 256gb in the future but at that point I might just go with AWS.

How long will that server be used for? If you're planning on using it for at least over 500 hours per year, then it might be more worth to use locally instead of AWS.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

12 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If you plan to use this for genuine server/workstation applications why not go AMD EPYC?

From my knowledge the applications benefit from the faster cores of the Threadripper. I do not plan to go above 256gb of ram. I looked into the EPYC cpus but they seemed to be more expensive for less performance the one advantage being able to support more ram. I was looking at the 7502p but that one is hard to find in stock and is over $700 more than the 3970x. I'm not super familiar with Threadripper/EPYC cpus so if there was something I overlooked please let me know. If there is any specific cpu that you think would be better than the 3970x in this build I would love to hear about it. Thank you for the response. 

19 minutes ago, igormp said:

How long will that server be used for? If you're planning on using it for at least over 500 hours per year, then it might be more worth to use locally instead of AWS.

I bought the last server because AWS is really expensive for what I need. This budget is roughly how much my company would spend on AWS for one year. I hope to use this sever for well over 500 hours per year. 

Id probalby go ecc here. Not much more, and why not.

Id get a tlc ssd, those QLC ones can get pretty slow and don't have great endurance, and it won't cost much more.

This board might be better https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=TRX40D8-2N2T#Specifications

Gets you impi support so a igpu is included and better remote management

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id probalby go ecc here. Not much more, and why not.

Id get a tlc ssd, those QLC ones can get pretty slow and don't have great endurance, and it won't cost much more.

This board might be better https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=TRX40D8-2N2T#Specifications

Gets you impi support so a igpu is included and better remote management

I think I will be going with that board now, thank you. I also changed the sdd to a TLC one. Do you think using ECC memory is worth the extra $200+?

Just now, DevonHayes said:

I think I will be going with that board now, thank you. I also changed the sdd to a TLC one. Do you think using ECC memory is worth the extra $200+?

Id probably say its worth it. Reasonble change of memory errors with 128gb of ram. But without ecc you have no idea how many memory errors your getting.

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id probably say its worth it. Reasonble change of memory errors with 128gb of ram. But without ecc you have no idea how many memory errors your getting.

Yeah that makes sense and in the long run will definitely be worth $200. Is there any specific brand you recommend? I would like to go with 4x32gb 3200mhz and NEMIX has a kit for that but open to any suggestions. Once again, thank you for the help.

13 minutes ago, DevonHayes said:

Yeah that makes sense and in the long run will definitely be worth $200. Is there any specific brand you recommend? I would like to go with 4x32gb 3200mhz and NEMIX has a kit for that but open to any suggestions. Once again, thank you for the help.

I don't really have any picks. Just make sure its unbuffered ecc and it should work fine.

9 minutes ago, DevonHayes said:

From my knowledge the applications benefit from the faster cores of the Threadripper. I do not plan to go above 256gb of ram. I looked into the EPYC cpus but they seemed to be more expensive for less performance the one advantage being able to support more ram. I was looking at the 7502p but that one is hard to find in stock and is over $700 more than the 3970x. I'm not super familiar with Threadripper/EPYC cpus so if there was something I overlooked please let me know. If there is any specific cpu that you think would be better than the 3970x in this build I would love to hear about it. Thank you for the response. 

It really depends on the application. If yours benefits from higher single core performance you might be better off going socket AM4 or opting for a Core i9.

Where the AMD EPYC platform shines is scalability and highly parallel workloads.

You get octa-channel memory, 128 PCIe lanes, support for more than 256GB of RAM, dual socket support, better validation for hypervisor applications, among other things.