What happened to BFG?

da na

Firstly, I am not talking about the BFG from DOOM. I am talking about the company that made GPUs and PhysX cards in the mid 2000's. 

Anyone know what happened to them? Their cards were quite popular, and they were one of the first companies to sell factory overclocked card profiles.

I remember them well. I used to have a bfg card. A bfg 9800 gtx+. That was a great wee card in its day.

BFG went out of business after the 200 series cards.. I had a 260 from them I had to RMA that got fried in a tropical storm when I lived in Hawaii and they wouldn't honor it since they were folding at the time. This was in like 2007/2008? Ended up going down to the Best Buy in Honolulu and buying an XFX HD5770 that is still in use to this day in a media PC at my in-laws house. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I was kinda expecting to find something about how the next DOOM game wouldn't have the BFG or something. I'm glad they're keeping that.

Oh yea the old Tech companies.. in my day, I remember, BFG, Soyo, Abit, LanParty ATI, 3Dfx, Alpha heat sinks with their hexagon pins (instead of flat fins) and the fans pulled air up through them.. I remember 3rd party North bridge chip sets,(Nforce from Nvidia being better than AMDs own chipset for their CPU.) oh it was so much fun back then.

3 minutes ago, DavidKalinowski said:

Oh yea the old Tech companies.. in my day, I remember, BFG, Soyo, Abit, LanParty ATI, 3Dfx, Alpha heat sinks with their hexagon pins (instead of flat fins) and the fans pulled air up through them.. I remember 3rd party North bridge chip sets,(Nforce from Nvidia being better than AMDs own chipset for their CPU.) oh it was so much fun back then.

yeah... Diamond was another big one... I think theyre still around but owned by some other company now.

1 hour ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

yeah... Diamond was another big one... I think theyre still around but owned by some other company now.

I forgot about Diamond, there some of their cards laying around my high school computer class room.

AIBs of ages gone

nobody remembers Sparkle and they technically aren’t even dead yet 

88A96EE0-53C2-44A3-AEA7-1A4EEB23A6F9.jpeg.3862104430a2be7ff499721f281aec31.jpeg

12 hours ago, 8tg said:

AIBs of ages gone

nobody remembers Sparkle and they technically aren’t even dead yet 

88A96EE0-53C2-44A3-AEA7-1A4EEB23A6F9.jpeg.3862104430a2be7ff499721f281aec31.jpeg

OMG I DO! Now that you mentioned them and I saw their logo, I do remember Sparkle

7 minutes ago, DavidKalinowski said:

OMG I DO! Now that you mentioned them and I saw their logo, I do remember Sparkle

I never had a Sparkle card but I have seen one, friend had one a few years back. It was a purple-ish blue kinda color and was a GTX 2_0 (either a 260 or 280 can't remember)

PNY is still around. I had a PNY 5200, and it was by far the worst card I have ever owned in my entire life.

The company I miss almost as much as BFG is Epox. They made great boards...

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022