Micron Rev E overclock from 3200 to 3600 memory errors

So, I tried overclocking my Crucial Ballistix 2x16 3200Mhz Rev E memory kit to 3600Mhz. I just used the XMP timings which the respective 3600 memory kit would have which would be 16-18-18-38 and tRC 58 and left the other subtimings on auto (Stock XMP for 3200: 16-18-18-36, tRC 74). So, first Memtest86 run passed but the second one threw an error. So, what's the first place to start to get it 100% stable, specifically for Micron Rev E? CL, tRCD, tRP, TRAS or tRC or even voltage? Mind you, that I wouldn't want to touch voltage if at all possible.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

I'd first set the voltage to 1.45 and see if it's stable there. If it still doesn't work, then work on the timings.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I suggest you to use Ryzen Dram Calculator, its gives you really good starting point.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

I'd first set the voltage to 1.45 and see if it's stable there. If it still doesn't work, then work on the timings.

I'd rather not if I can slightly increase timings instead. I want to sustain longevity, especially now.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

1 minute ago, Hans Power said:

I'd rather not if I can slightly increase timings instead. I want to sustain longevity, especially now.

I ran my memory at 1.45V all day. I also had Ballistix memory running at 3600MHz cl14 this way. No errors, no instability.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Couple things:
- Ballistix, they're not temperature sensitive (can run up to 70C and be fine)
- Most Ballistix users OC daily 1.5v here. It stops being safe around 1.7v. That being said, only frequency and tCL are tied to voltage as in if you shove more power, only those two settings clock better.
- DRAM Calculator is just wrong sometimes...Instead of trying to train CL14, let's just use CL15 with GDM Off?????

If you haven't already (Yes, I can read your signature, but I want to be sure), can you either load up Thaiphoon Thruster to look at the PCB Revision (I don't care about what the die stepping is since it can only be SR 16Gbit Rev.B or DR 8Gbit Rev.E or SR 16Gbit Rev.E) or just look underneath the heatspreaders to see if you can find two rows of dram wafers?

Clocking wise, there is no reason why a normal set of Ballistix wouldn't hit above 3600 there. This IC, afterall, has such a high frequency cap (or maybe not) that we literally cannot know where it stops since our IMCs are the limiting factor. The reason why you didn't past the test is probably because the auto subtimings are not good. 

What I would do first is actually loosen everything manually (by a lot), all primary, secondary, and tertiary timings. Most x86 and other bit based systems nowadays are built for transfer bandwidth of which channel count and frequency of our DRAM is most affected by. Let's try to get the highest sync'ed frequency before we tighten timings since that's actually going to reduce our latency (higher FCLK is better too). 

5600x should be able to do between 1867 and 2000 FCLK while still being 1:1:1 with MCLK and UCLK. Go to BIOS and set a manual FCLK to 1866, vDIMM or DRAM Voltage to 1.5v, vSoC to 1.15, if you want to use Medium LLC for SoC--fine by me, some vCore like 1.25v is fine, and set FCLK == MCLK == UCLK. I would also set VDDG IOD and VDDG CCD to 1090 or 1.09v (this helps with FCLK stability). 

I also wouldn't use memtest86 because it's too slow to catch errors. I much prefer the anta-profile on TM5 or SSE/AVX2 on OCCT. TM5 will primarily hit your RAM in a different way from other programs and OCCT is great all-around tester for RAM, CPU, and FCLK. I'd hit it with a 30 minute session of SSE OCCT and 30 minutes of AVX2, and see if it's stable. 

If it's stable there, push up to 1900 mHz FCLK, keep all the voltages the same, and test again (make sure timings are still loose). Then to 1933 or you can skip to 2000. I haven't personally tested MSI on B550 but it seems like only newer-revisions of Asus (B550 + Dark Hero, no X570) hit 2000 FCLK consistently. 

If we're stable at 2000, great! Now we can start by setting timings. If your kit is really dual rank, we're going to have leave tRFC loose for right now and focus on primary timings. With Gear Down Mode (GDM) and Power Down Mode off:
- tCL = 20
- tRCDRD = 22
- tRCDWR = 22 (this can be significantly tightened to probably 8-10)
- tRP = 25
- tRAS = 40
- tRC = 70
- tRRDS = 10
- tRRDL = 12
- tFAW = 34
- tRFC = 620
- tCWL = 18
- ProcODT = Auto
- ODT (parks) = Auto

The goal is going to be reducing this. tCL can hopefully snag tCL 16, but we'll have to get there. tFAW can be probably tightened to 24 or less. tRFC around 290ns (where tXX/frequency * 2000 = ns) would be cool (assuming DR RevE). Ballistix cannot do as tight tRCDRD as S8B can under OC, but tRCDWR can. tRP, tRAS, and tRC sometimes have latency penalties associated with them; however, as seen per this reddit post, it can sometimes be largely ignored and just try to set the lowest timings. 

With all this information, let me know if you need help. Here is a r/OC spreadsheet of user submitted Zen 3 (and other Zens) OCs

7 hours ago, ForwardVoltage said:

Couple things:
- Most Ballistix users OC daily 1.5v here. It stops being safe around 1.7v. That being said, only frequency and tCL are tied to voltage as in if you shove more power, only those two settings clock better.
- DRAM Calculator is just wrong sometimes...Instead of trying to train CL14, let's just use CL15 with GDM Off?????

If you haven't already (Yes, I can read your signature, but I want to be sure), can you either load up Thaiphoon Thruster to look at the PCB Revision (I don't care about what the die stepping is since it can only be SR 16Gbit Rev.B or DR 8Gbit Rev.E or SR 16Gbit Rev.E) or just look underneath the heatspreaders to see if you can find two rows of dram wafers?

Clocking wise, there is no reason why a normal set of Ballistix wouldn't hit above 3600 there. This IC, afterall, has such a high frequency cap (or maybe not) that we literally cannot know where it stops since our IMCs are the limiting factor. The reason why you didn't past the test is probably because the auto subtimings are not good. 

What I would do first is actually loosen everything manually (by a lot), all primary, secondary, and tertiary timings. Most x86 and other bit based systems nowadays are built for transfer bandwidth of which channel count and frequency of our DRAM is most affected by. Let's try to get the highest sync'ed frequency before we tighten timings since that's actually going to reduce our latency (higher FCLK is better too). 

5600x should be able to do between 1867 and 2000 FCLK while still being 1:1:1 with MCLK and UCLK. Go to BIOS and set a manual FCLK to 1866, vDIMM or DRAM Voltage to 1.5v, vSoC to 1.15, if you want to use Medium LLC for SoC--fine by me, some vCore like 1.25v is fine, and set FCLK == MCLK == UCLK. I would also set VDDG IOD and VDDG CCD to 1090 or 1.09v (this helps with FCLK stability). 

I also wouldn't use memtest86 because it's too slow to catch errors. I much prefer the anta-profile on TM5 or SSE/AVX2 on OCCT. TM5 will primarily hit your RAM in a different way from other programs and OCCT is great all-around tester for RAM, CPU, and FCLK. I'd hit it with a 30 minute session of SSE OCCT and 30 minutes of AVX2, and see if it's stable. 

If it's stable there, push up to 1900 mHz FCLK, keep all the voltages the same, and test again (make sure timings are still loose). Then to 1933 or you can skip to 2000. I haven't personally tested MSI on B550 but it seems like only newer-revisions of Asus (B550 + Dark Hero, no X570) hit 2000 FCLK consistently. 

If we're stable at 2000, great! Now we can start by setting timings. If your kit is really dual rank, we're going to have leave tRFC loose for right now and focus on primary timings. With Gear Down Mode (GDM) and Power Down Mode off:
- tCL = 20
- tRCDRD = 22
- tRP = 25
- tRAS = 40
- tRC = 70
- tRRDS = 10
- tRRDL = 12
- tFAW = 34
- tRFC = 620
- tCWL = 18
- ProcODT = Auto
- ODT (parks) = Auto

The goal is going to be reducing this. tCL can hopefully snag tCL 16, but we'll have to get there. tFAW can be probably tightened to 24 or less. tRFC around 290ns (where tXX/frequency * 2000 = ns) would be cool (assuming DR RevE). Ballistix cannot do as tight tRCDRD as S8B can under OC, but tRCDWR can. tRP, tRAS, and tRC sometimes have latency penalties associated with them; however, as seen per this reddit post, it can sometimes be largely ignored and just try to set the lowest timings. 

With all this information, let me know if you need help. Here is a r/OC spreadsheet of user submitted Zen 3 (and other Zens) OCs

Nice! That was very detailed! Actually I managed to get it Memtest86 stable with stock voltages by increasing tRCDRD from 18 to 19. But it still throws errors in OCCT. So I just increased DRAM Voltage to 1.4 and am running OCCT Memtest again.

7 hours ago, ForwardVoltage said:

Couple things:

- tCL = 20
- tRCDRD = 22
- tRP = 25
- tRAS = 40
- tRC = 70
- tRRDS = 10
- tRRDL = 12
- tFAW = 34
- tRFC = 620
- tCWL = 18
- ProcODT = Auto
- ODT (parks) = Auto

Also just checked Taiphoon Burner and it is indeed Rev E or E-Die. I already noticed that it's Dual Rank and that the product description ends with M16FE which indicates Rev E. Thanks again of all the details - I gonna dive into it eventually but for now I'd be content to reach 3600 without too much of a timing penalty.

Unbenannt.PNG

Alright, so far no errors after half an hour of OCCT memory test with CL 16, tRCDRD 19, tRCDWR 18, tRP 18, tRAS 38 and tRC 58 @1.4v. Everything else is still on auto. I'll let it run the full hour, though, just to make sure.

28 minutes ago, Hans Power said:

Alright, so far no errors after half an hour of OCCT memory test with CL 16, tRCDRD 19, tRCDWR 18, tRP 18, tRAS 38 and tRC 58 @1.4v. Everything else is still on auto. I'll let it run the full hour, though, just to make sure.

Are you at 4000 MT/s with 2000 MHz FCLK?

Just now, ForwardVoltage said:

Are you at 4000 MT/s with 2000 MHz FCLK?

Noo, still trying to get 3600 stable, lol. Unfortunately it threw errors at the last 6 minutes so increased the voltage slightly. Btw, do I run the risk of early degredation when I go up to, let's say 1.45v or even 1.5v? This system needs to run for the next 6 years at least and I want 100% stability if at all possible.

Even at 1.45v I still got memory errors for the second run. I think I gonna go back to XMP. I'm really not keen on degrading my chips early on by putting loads of voltage through them since hardware these days is becoming unobtanium. Maybe I get back to (memory) overclocking as soon as my chips hit a performance wall for what I want to do which should be still a few years away.

On 3/2/2021 at 12:39 AM, Hans Power said:

Even at 1.45v I still got memory errors for the second run. I think I gonna go back to XMP. I'm really not keen on degrading my chips early on by putting loads of voltage through them since hardware these days is becoming unobtanium. Maybe I get back to (memory) overclocking as soon as my chips hit a performance wall for what I want to do which should be still a few years away.

Alright, cheers.

Setting up voltage is not much risk to the RAM, its a slightly bigger risk on the memory controller but then we have people like Buildzoid who never managed to blew up a single 14nm CPU... His go to strat is 1.5v out of box! Now we all know Intel have stated in the past for Skylake that anyhting over 1.35v can damage the IMC but to be fair that is unlikely and is just them trying to cover thier asses if somehting goes wrong... UwU

Try 1.4v? Or try to increase it to 17-19-19-39 on the timings?

Logical way of doing it:

*3600MHz CL16-18-18

*3800MHz CL17-19-19 (GDM will make it 18-19-19)

*4000MHz CL18-20-20 (Might have to go to 21 or 22 here)

*4000+ *Infinity Fabric Rage Quits The Chat*

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,5MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Zen-II-X6-3600+ (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9893pts | R23 score SC: 1248pts @4.2GHz

R23 score MC: 10151pts | R23 score SC: 1287pts @4.3GHz

R20 score MC: 3688cb | R20 score SC: 489cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2607MHz (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro

• 5 months later...

@ForwardVoltage I purposely made an account to tell you how much of a good dude you are. The world needs more people like you let alone more people willing to actually give someone who needs their help troubleshooting an issue their them time or day. Respect @ForwardVoltage, your good deed will never go unnoticed as I shall always remember your legacy.

• 9 months later...

@ForwardVoltageI also made an account to solely congratulate you as one of my role models. I will follow you into the far reaches of PC building. Where Voltage pushes I will flow.