Help With Cpus

Go to solution Solved by SupaKomputa,

It's okay, if you're fine with the AMD be more expensive go ahead, or just buy that intel if you think it's not a problem.

x570 is definitely superior, but that doesn't mean B550 is a bad choice.

I choosing 3 proccesor that can fit in to my price range 400 ish or something close to this

I9 10850k = $437

Ryzen 7 5800x = $616, Lmao price, this probably not in my price range at all 😂. 

Ryzen 9 3900x = $544

Doing streaming, multitasking, video editing, gaming 1080p240hz and future games, maybe some content creation and will not upgrade keep for secondary pc in future. 

Will Pcie 3 bottleneck anything, tech keep getting better, will the be any affect on performance in future. 

1 minute ago, iCoNrant said:

Will Pcie 3 bottleneck anything, tech keep getting better, will the be any affect on performance in future. 

probably not, by the time pcie 3 becomes a bit limit, the cpus and gpus will be much more of a limit

2 minutes ago, iCoNrant said:

I9 10850k = $437

Id get this, cheapest by a good amount, about the same or better in games, and plenty faster for video editing and streaming

Amazon has 3900x for 484$  ... but 3700x is probably a better deal at 329$  ... put the $200 in the budget for a more powerful video card.

Link for 3700x : https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-3700X-16-Thread-Processor/dp/B07SXMZLPK/

Also, I'd suggest staying at 144-160Hz and buying a quality IPS monitor, instead of crappier color accuracy of TN panels for the sake of 240 Hz refresh rate.  From 144 Hz and up, the improvements are much less noticeable. 

39 minutes ago, iCoNrant said:

No, PCIe 3 still have a lot to offer. Gen 4 is at it's infancy and probably will be replaced with gen 5 in 2022.

As for gaming, your load will be GPU bounded, so all three of those option will do well for at least 5 more years.

Content creation will be much faster with gpu rendering. 8 cores is more than enough, the difference is just faster rendering time.

With my config, i still have no problems editing 4K videos.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

probably not, by the time pcie 3 becomes a bit limit, the cpus and gpus will be much more of a limit

Id get this, cheapest by a good amount, about the same or better in games, and plenty faster for video editing and streaming

51 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Amazon has 3900x for 484$  ... but 3700x is probably a better deal at 329$  ... put the $200 in the budget for a more powerful video card.

Link for 3700x : https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-3700X-16-Thread-Processor/dp/B07SXMZLPK/

Also, I'd suggest staying at 144-160Hz and buying a quality IPS monitor, instead of crappier color accuracy of TN panels for the sake of 240 Hz refresh rate.  From 144 Hz and up, the improvements are much less noticeable. 

24 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

No, PCIe 3 still have a lot to offer. Gen 4 is at it's infancy and probably will be replaced with gen 5 in 2022.

As for gaming, your load will be GPU bounded, so all three of those option will do well for at least 5 more years.

Content creation will be much faster with gpu rendering. 8 cores is more than enough, the difference is just faster rendering time.

With my config, i still have no problems editing 4K videos.

10850k probably is the better bet here. Let me give the cpu+mobo price : 

I9 10850k + Z490 Aorus Pro Ax = $745

Ryzen 9 3900x + X570 Aorus Pro WiFi = $829

I getting 10-12 cores is for future game and better experience, BTW getting 3060 ti for 1080p 240hz, not getting 3080 for 1080p 240hz is ridiculous. 

Why people opt for AMD platform as a whole is you don't need to have the expensive x570 motherboard to run the high end cpu.

You can just get a B550 and get the same result with overclocking enabled.

So the price will be on par with Intel, plus you can use 16 cores in the future if you ever need it.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

18 minutes ago, iCoNrant said:

10850k probably is the better bet here. Let me give the cpu+mobo price : 

I9 10850k + Z490 Aorus Pro Ax = $745

Ryzen 9 3900x + X570 Aorus Pro WiFi = $829

I getting 10-12 cores is for future game and better experience, BTW getting 3060 ti for 1080p 240hz, not getting 3080 for 1080p 240hz is ridiculous. 

You don't need a $285 (829-544) motherboard, you'll find plenty of decent B550 boards for around $200 or even less.  You also don't need x570 chipset. 

I'd say get 8 core now or whatever has a reasonable price and buy your 12-16 core in 6-9 months when the shortages will decrease and the prices will not be so inflated. You'll survive with just 8 core for a while. Processors don't lose that much value on the used market, and you'll easily find buyers for the cpu when you decide to upgrade.

Also if we go by cpubenchmark (not a great benchmark resource, but better than nothing)  ... 10850k scores 23480 points,  3900x scores 32850 points and 3700x scores 22800 points.   (and a bit off topic but 5600x scores 22180, so 6 cores can almost keep up with 8 cores of 3700x due to better ipc and internal improvements, food for thought)

So you do get more performance with 3900x, and therefore higher price would be reasonable, easier to accept.  

But if we go with 3700x which is closer to the 10850k performance, you're down to let's say $350 cpu + 200-250$ mobo = $500-600

And... is the 10850k supplied with a cpu cooler?  The 3700x actually comes with a stock cooler that's decent, you won't overclock much on it, but if your budget is tight you can live with the stock cooler for a few months.

ps... and really, reconsider the 240 hz thing.  I'd suggest going for image quality and higher resolution instead of that high refresh rate. 144-160 hz is plenty. 

23 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Why people opt for AMD platform as a whole is you don't need to have the expensive x570 motherboard to run the high end cpu.

So the price will be on par with Intel, plus you can use 16 cores in the future if you ever need it.

22 minutes ago, mariushm said:

You don't need a $285 (829-544) motherboard, you'll find plenty of decent B550 boards for around $200 or even less.  You also don't need x570 chipset. 

I'd say get 8 core now or whatever has a reasonable price and buy your 12-16 core in 6-9 months when the shortages will decrease and the prices will not be so inflated. You'll survive with just 8 core for a while. Processors don't lose that much value on the used market, and you'll easily find buyers for the cpu when you decide to upgrade.

Also if we go by cpubenchmark (not a great benchmark resource, but better than nothing)  ... 10850k scores 23480 points,  3900x scores 32850 points and 3700x scores 22800 points.   (and a bit off topic but 5600x scores 22180, so 6 cores can almost keep up with 8 cores of 3700x due to better ipc and internal improvements, food for thought)

So you do get more performance with 3900x, and therefore higher price would be reasonable, easier to accept.  

But if we go with 3700x which is closer to the 10850k performance, you're down to let's say $350 cpu + 200-250$ mobo = $500-600

And... is the 10850k supplied with a cpu cooler?  The 3700x actually comes with a stock cooler that's decent, you won't overclock much on it, but if your budget is tight you can live with the stock cooler for a few months.

ps... and really, reconsider the 240 hz thing.  I'd suggest going for image quality and higher resolution instead of that high refresh rate. 144-160 hz is plenty. 

I know people always said that you don't need x570 but they got the features that I wanted so beat it

5 minutes ago, iCoNrant said:

I know people always said that you don't need x570 but they got the features that I wanted so beat it

The only difference between B550 and x570 is that the chipset creates pci-e 4.0 pci-e lanes on x570, and pci-e 3.0 on B550 chipset

You still get pci-e 4.0 lanes for the video card and the first m.2 connector, you still get support for the 5xxx processors and so on. 

b550 boards are "refreshed" / updated designs, often with better heatsinks on the VRMs and better quality VRMs (because they use newer vrm controllers and more efficient mosfets/power stages while x570 designs are stuck with the parts that were available when the chipset was released and designs made for it) , better memory support, and you may get 2.5 gbps ethernet, wifi , you may get better onboard audio chips, and usb type c front panel headers.

Some x570 boards are cut down in features because the extra heatsink and fan on the chipset adds cost and increases the risk of failures (so higher rma/warranty costs for manufacturer) 

Maybe explain what are the features instead of telling us to "beat it" , maybe you're confused about some things, or you're not aware of some things ... or just say if you don't want our help and we'll stop trying to help you out 

35 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The only difference between B550 and x570 is that the chipset creates pci-e 4.0 pci-e lanes on x570, and pci-e 3.0 on B550 chipset

You still get pci-e 4.0 lanes for the video card and the first m.2 connector, you still get support for the 5xxx processors and so on. 

b550 boards are "refreshed" / updated designs, often with better heatsinks on the VRMs and better quality VRMs (because they use newer vrm controllers and more efficient mosfets/power stages while x570 designs are stuck with the parts that were available when the chipset was released and designs made for it) , better memory support, and you may get 2.5 gbps ethernet, wifi , you may get better onboard audio chips, and usb type c front panel headers.

Some x570 boards are cut down in features because the extra heatsink and fan on the chipset adds cost and increases the risk of failures (so higher rma/warranty costs for manufacturer) 

Maybe explain what are the features instead of telling us to "beat it" , maybe you're confused about some things, or you're not aware of some things ... or just say if you don't want our help and we'll stop trying to help you out 

1 hour ago, SupaKomputa said:

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I think twice before I getting x570 motherboard instead of b550 .

First : I need Bunch of Usb ports at the rear I/O.

Second : I need WiFi "6" for my motherboard so when become a secondary pc, it will be useful down the road.

Third : I need front panel Type C for my case (Important), this is the reason that b550 cant give me.

23 minutes ago, iCoNrant said:

Second : I need WiFi "6" for my motherboard so when become a secondary pc, it will be useful down the road.

Third : I need front panel Type C for my case (Important), this is the reason that b550 cant give me.

1. usb ports : plenty of motherboards with TONS of usb ports on the back

2. There's a few B550 boards that have WiFi 6, but it often makes more sense to buy a separate pci-e x1 card with WiFi 6 ... often there's features removed to make room for the wifi 6 onboard, or you can get cheaper board + wifi card and get same price, or slightly more expensive but way more stuff on io shield so a plus.

3. There's a bunch of MSI boards that have USB Type C header.  There's also a bunch of Gigabyte boards who have it. In fact, should be more popular on B550 boards as usb type c front panel header was not that common when x570 boards were made. 

btw....  you need wifi6 for when it becomes secondary pc?  FFS  ... a 5-8 port gigabit switch is 10-15$  ... your wireless router probably also has multiple gigabit ports in the back. This is not a valid excuse for requiring wifi6 imho.

You have for example Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro V2 at $200 which has everything but wifi 6:   https://www.gigabyte.com/ro/Motherboard/B550-AORUS-PRO-V2-rev-10#kf

Has 10 usb ports on the back, 2.5g ethernet, AlC1220 sound, usb type c header, very good VRM etc etc

A WiFi 6 card can be as cheap as $25 on Amazon, cheaper on ebay : 

https://www.amazon.com/Cudy-WE3000-3000Mbps-Wireless-Bluetooth/dp/B082NZYDDM/

https://www.amazon.com/Network-PCIE-Wifi-6-Card/dp/B089FCX3C3/

https://www.amazon.com/EDUP-Bluetooth-3000Mbps-802-11AX-Wireless/dp/B082F5D4SM/

if you want built in wifi 6, you have boards like 

265$ Asrock Taichi : https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jKLwrH/asrock-b550-taichi-atx-am4-motherboard-b550-taichi

290$ MSI MEG Unify : https://pcpartpicker.com/product/NgDkcf/msi-meg-b550-unify-atx-am4-motherboard-meg-b550-unify

Here's all the B550 boards on PC Part Picker that claim to have at least 1 usb type c header: 

ASRock B550 Extreme4
ASRock B550 PG Velocita
ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ax
ASRock B550 Steel Legend
ASRock B550 Taichi
Asus ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING
Asus ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Asus Strix B550-XE Gaming WiFi
Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2
Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2
Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AX
Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO V2
MSI B550-A PRO
MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI
MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA
MSI MAG B550M MORTAR
MSI MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI
MSI MEG B550 UNIFY
MSI MEG B550 UNIFY-X
MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI
MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI
MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS
MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE WIFI

8 minutes ago, mariushm said:

1. usb ports : plenty of motherboards with TONS of usb ports on the back

2. There's a few B550 boards that have WiFi 6, but it often makes more sense to buy a separate pci-e x1 card with WiFi 6 ... often there's features removed to make room for the wifi 6 onboard, or you can get cheaper board + wifi card and get same price, or slightly more expensive but way more stuff on io shield so a plus.

3. There's a bunch of MSI boards that have USB Type C header.  There's also a bunch of Gigabyte boards who have it. In fact, should be more popular on B550 boards as usb type c front panel header was not that common when x570 boards were made. 

btw....  you need wifi6 for when it becomes secondary pc?  FFS  ... a 5-8 port gigabit switch is 10-15$  ... your wireless router probably also has multiple gigabit ports in the back. This is not a valid excuse for requiring wifi6 imho.

You have for example Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro V2 at $200 which has everything but wifi 6:   https://www.gigabyte.com/ro/Motherboard/B550-AORUS-PRO-V2-rev-10#kf

Has 10 usb ports on the back, 2.5g ethernet, AlC1220 sound, usb type c header, very good VRM etc etc

A WiFi 6 card can be as cheap as $25 on Amazon, cheaper on ebay : 

https://www.amazon.com/Cudy-WE3000-3000Mbps-Wireless-Bluetooth/dp/B082NZYDDM/

https://www.amazon.com/Network-PCIE-Wifi-6-Card/dp/B089FCX3C3/

https://www.amazon.com/EDUP-Bluetooth-3000Mbps-802-11AX-Wireless/dp/B082F5D4SM/

if you want built in wifi 6, you have boards like 

265$ Asrock Taichi : https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jKLwrH/asrock-b550-taichi-atx-am4-motherboard-b550-taichi

290$ MSI MEG Unify : https://pcpartpicker.com/product/NgDkcf/msi-meg-b550-unify-atx-am4-motherboard-meg-b550-unify

Here's all the B550 boards on PC Part Picker that claim to have at least 1 usb type c header: 

ASRock B550 Extreme4
ASRock B550 PG Velocita
ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ax
ASRock B550 Steel Legend
ASRock B550 Taichi
Asus ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING
Asus ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Asus Strix B550-XE Gaming WiFi
Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2
Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2
Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AX
Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO V2
MSI B550-A PRO
MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI
MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA
MSI MAG B550M MORTAR
MSI MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI
MSI MEG B550 UNIFY
MSI MEG B550 UNIFY-X
MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI
MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI
MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS
MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE WIFI

I'm doing too many research already :

Msi board usb port too less. 

Asus higher price point than others and also less usb ports. 

Gigabyte b550 v2 not available at my country yet. 

ASRock boring and losing features.

36 minutes ago, iCoNrant said:

All of those can be had in B550.

- On higher end B550 you can have lots of usb ports (including headers).

- Wifi 6? Get a blank wifi motherboard (like Asrock B550 steel legend or Pro4) and buy a wifi 6 Intel card. Wifi in a motherboard are not build in but an addon card that you can replace in the m.2 wifi slot. You pay for the extra service in wifi motherboard just to plug the card.

- Do your research, most if not all B550 motherboard have USB 3.2 headers to plug in to that USB-C. All B550 or x570 (except ITX) have at least one USB 3.2 headers.

11 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

All of those can be had in B550.

- On higher end B550 you can have lots of usb ports (including headers).

- Wifi 6? Get a blank wifi motherboard (like Asrock B550 steel legend or Pro4) and buy a wifi 6 Intel card. Wifi in a motherboard are not build in but an addon card that you can replace in the m.2 wifi slot. You pay for the extra service in wifi motherboard just to plug the card.

- Do your research, most if not all B550 motherboard have USB 3.2 headers to plug in to that USB-C. All B550 or x570 (except ITX) have at least one USB 3.2 headers.

Is just nice to have WiFi have in it, but I understand your point. 

Ya, I know you mentioned before but I just don't want mess things up you know. 

It's okay, if you're fine with the AMD be more expensive go ahead, or just buy that intel if you think it's not a problem.

34 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Thank you, b550 is a good chipset, but some features missing on each manufacturer so x570 is the way to go now.