GTX 1070 displays and works normally but fan does not spin.

Danielwegman

The title says it all. I have a reference evga 1070 that displays and works normally but the fan does not spin which causes overheating to an eventual shutoff. I have already replaced the fan with a new one. I also tried hitting it with a heat gun but no luck. I know this specific card has zero rpm fans at idle but it cooks itself to 90° with no fan spinning and i checked the fan profile and tried setting it to 100% but still nothing. I’m willing to put it in the oven at 200° for 10 minutes if that is the last resort to possibly fix some type of board issue. I cant visibly see any damage on the board. It’s been sitting in the closet broken so i really have nothing left to lose. Thanks for any replies with tips that might bring this back to life. 

Did you try to update the vBIOS at all on the card and it was the wrong one??? I'd try and flash the proper vBIOS on the card to see if that fixes anything, make sure to check the card if there are different revisions as that is vital to a proper vBIOS flash, but take this route as a last resort if possible to not brick it if you install the wrong vBIOS. 

Are you sure there is no other fan control software that is overriding the card's default fan curve? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

9 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Did you try to update the vBIOS at all on the card and it was the wrong one??? I'd try and flash the proper vBIOS on the card to see if that fixes anything, make sure to check the card if there are different revisions as that is vital to a proper vBIOS flash, but take this route as a last resort if possible to not brick it if you install the wrong vBIOS. 

Are you sure there is no other fan control software that is overriding the card's default fan curve? 

I havent tried flashing a new vbios but i will give it a try in a few minutes. I’m not sure if i can find this exact cards vbios though. It’s very hard to find the card itself on ebay or anywhere else for that matter. I’m pretty sure it came from an ibuypower prebuilt pc however many years ago. I dont have any fan controlling software on my pc whatsoever. My current rtx 2060 works fine in the same pci slot and with the same power cable so i know the problem isnt my psu or motherboard. I’ll try updating the vbios and reply back with an update. 

1 minute ago, Danielwegman said:

I havent tried flashing a new vbios but i will give it a try in a few minutes. I’m not sure if i can find this exact cards vbios though. It’s very hard to find the card itself on ebay or anywhere else for that matter. I’m pretty sure it came from an ibuypower prebuilt pc however many years ago. I dont have any fan controlling software on my pc whatsoever. My current rtx 2060 works fine in the same pci slot and with the same power cable so i know the problem isnt my psu or motherboard. I’ll try updating the vbios and reply back with an update. 

Use GPU-Z to determine the EXACT model and rev. This is a must if you want a working graphics card after the vBIOS flash. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

6 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Use GPU-Z to determine the EXACT model and rev. This is a must if you want a working graphics card after the vBIOS flash. 

Awesome, i’ll give it a shot

Personally I'd look to power the fan externally to the GPU and just run it at fixed speed high enough to keep it cool under expected workloads. Seems less risky than messing around with bios or putting the whole thing in the oven.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

44 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Ok so i gave it a shot. It is a reference evga gtx 1070 rev .01. The ONLY vbios version i found was the same one the card had on it from 2016. I flashed it and restarted the pc with no luck again. I had to turn off the pc because the card reached 85° after all that mess. Any other suggestion?

1 minute ago, porina said:

Personally I'd look to power the fan externally to the GPU and just run it at fixed speed high enough to keep it cool under expected workloads. Seems less risky than messing around with bios or putting the whole thing in the oven.

I’m trying to throw this gpu in another computer for a friend so i’d rather not have it jerry rigged. Flashing the vbios was a really quick and easy thing to try. I’m just exploring other options now

2 minutes ago, Danielwegman said:

Ok so i gave it a shot. It is a reference evga gtx 1070 rev .01. The ONLY vbios version i found was the same one the card had on it from 2016. I flashed it and restarted the pc with no luck again. I had to turn off the pc because the card reached 85° after all that mess. Any other suggestion?

Are you able to connect another fan to the card using the same header, or is it a specialty type connector?? I'd just want to see if a different fan will work, to rule out if the current blower fan is going out somehow.

1 minute ago, SpiderMan said:

Are you able to connect another fan to the card using the same header, or is it a specialty type connector?? I'd just want to see if a different fan will work, to rule out if the current blower fan is going out somehow.

I’m not sure if it’s a specialty connector but i’ll pull off the shroud and check. I dont want to pull apart my rtx 2060 just to swap a fan. I’ll check it now. 

Just now, Danielwegman said:

I’m not sure if it’s a specialty connector but i’ll pull off the shroud and check. I dont want to pull apart my rtx 2060 just to swap a fan. I’ll check it now. 

Just use a 4 pin case fan, usually they are 4 pin headers. 

Just use a 4 pin case fan, usually they are 4 pin headers. 

It isnt a standard case fan header. 

image.jpg

It isnt a standard case fan header. 

~Snipped Photo~

Damn... Does the fan free spin and not have any issues turning (resistance)??

Just now, SpiderMan said:

Damn... Does the fan free spin and not have any issues turning (resistance)??

Yes the fan spins freely. I replaced it a few months ago hoping it was just a dead fan issue but its a deeper issue than that

Just now, Danielwegman said:

Yes the fan spins freely. I replaced it a few months ago hoping it was just a dead fan issue but its a deeper issue than that

Right, I knew you said that but was just ruling out the possibility of a second bad fan (what are the odds haha). Can be an issue with the fan controller on the graphics card going out. 

Just now, SpiderMan said:

Right, I knew you said that but was just ruling out the possibility of a second bad fan (what are the odds haha). Can be an issue with the fan controller on the graphics card going out. 

I pulled apart my rtx 2060. It shares the same header. Swapping it now to see if it spins. 

5 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Again no luck. The card powered on and displayed but still no fan spin. I’m thinking the oven is my best bet. I really have nothing to lose on this card. 

Again no luck. The card powered on and displayed but still no fan spin. I’m thinking the oven is my best bet. I really have nothing to lose on this card. 

You can try baking the card. I've never done this but I've heard that you should do it in an oven that you will not cook food inside of. 

You can try baking the card. I've never done this but I've heard that you should do it in an oven that you will not cook food inside of. 

Ive heard that too so maybe blasting it with a head gun for longer is a better solution. 

34 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Blasted it again and ensured that i got the solder melted for the fan header and most of the other spots nearest it. Still no fan spin. Contemplating sending it to louis rossman but i’d have to get in touch with them to see if it’s something they would do for a reasonable price. Thank you for your suggestions. I really appreciate it. 

2 minutes ago, Danielwegman said:

Blasted it again and ensured that i got the solder melted for the fan header and most of the other spots nearest it. Still no fan spin. Contemplating sending it to louis rossman but i’d have to get in touch with them to see if it’s something they would do for a reasonable price. Thank you for your suggestions. I really appreciate it. 

No problem, sorry to hear the fan is still not working. 

2 hours ago, Danielwegman said:

So the card reached 85 degrees while idle? Or did you put it under a load? If the former, seems like there's something else going wrong with the card too? I don't think it should go to that high of a temperature when not under a load of some sort.

1 hour ago, Stockholmes said:

So the card reached 85 degrees while idle? Or did you put it under a load? If the former, seems like there's something else going wrong with the card too? I don't think it should go to that high of a temperature when not under a load of some sort.

Its slowly climbing in temp because i have wallpaper engine running on startup and two monitors. So not really “idle” but still not doing anything. It’ll climb to 85 degrees in a matter of minutes. The fan doesnt cool down the card so it just keeps rising and rising until thermal shutoff

3 hours ago, Danielwegman said:

Its slowly climbing in temp because i have wallpaper engine running on startup and two monitors. So not really “idle” but still not doing anything. It’ll climb to 85 degrees in a matter of minutes. The fan doesnt cool down the card so it just keeps rising and rising until thermal shutoff

I don't know much about wallpaper engines but I would've thought they're not *that* power hungry. I guess I was wrong. Either way, you should disable them until you solve your problem.

On 2/28/2021 at 11:40 PM, Stockholmes said:

I don't know much about wallpaper engines but I would've thought they're not *that* power hungry. I guess I was wrong. Either way, you should disable them until you solve your problem.

I dont use this gtx 1070. I was just testing different fixes hoping to bring it back to life