Help with Acer Aspire Switch 10 E (Windows 8.1 - x86)

Hello there!

While i was scramming through my old belongings, i found my old "Convertible Tablet/Netbook" from Acer (Aspire Switch 10 E - Aspire SW3-013). I thought myself, that i might use it for light gaming, i.e. Counter-Strike 1.6 and thelike. For that, i installed ThrottleStop, so my CPU always stays on Max Multiplier (Turbo Mode). But whenever i activate it, it goes from 1.33 to 0.4GHz and locks itself there until i reboot my Device. Could it be that they implemented a security mechanism to prevent the cpu staying on that high Speed for Cooling Purposes? The weird thing about is , that after i reboot it, my CPU is locked to 1.55GHz for around 30 Minutes. And if i start ThrottleStop again, it goes back to the 0.4GHz. That actually made me confused. 

The Specs of it are:

CPU: Intel Atom Z3735G @ 1.33GHz

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 620

Motherboard: Acer Gummi V1.09

BIOS: INSYDE Corp. V 1.09  10/07/2015

Memory: 1GB DDR3 SoC Single Channel

Hard Drive: Hynix HBG4e 32GB SoC SSD

And the final question to this would be: is there any way to boost it with any software? i mean i know i may be able to boost it with SetFSB but idk the Correct Number for my Device. (I.E. Custom Intel

Graphics Drivers that are running better than the Stock Drivers from Intel) I thank everyone for taking their time and trying to help me or advice me anything in general :)

Walter

15 hours ago, Waftyshoof said:

i installed ThrottleStop

If you are having problems, post a screenshot that shows how you have ThrottleStop setup. Make sure the power limits are set appropriately or it will throttle.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Full load and full speed without a hint of throttling.

image.png.28a8516061825c520169657eb8ee9460.png

Hey there!

if i am being honest: i never actually used anything else but taking off the hooks from speedstep, disable turbo, c1e and crank up the multiplier to max and activating high performance mode on my normal laptop. And it just worked. So if you can tell me how to set the voltage, i might just do that.

Walter

ltt ts config 1.jpg

ltt ts config 2.jpg

ltt ts config 3.jpg

13 hours ago, unclewebb said:

If you are having problems, post a screenshot that shows how you have ThrottleStop setup.

Are these Screenshots enough? Or did i miss anything?

1 hour ago, Waftyshoof said:

SpeedStep

ThrottleStop and Windows have no control over your CPU when SpeedStep is disabled. 

At full load, my Atom Z is consuming 2 W. Not sure if you or the BIOS set your turbo power limits to 60W and 80W but that is definitely overkill. Setting the turbo power limits to 5 W is probably way more than enough. Set the turbo time limit to the default value, 28 seconds and do not check the Clamp option.

After you enable SpeedStep, your CPU should be running at 1833.33 MHz. To adjust the voltage, increase or decrease the Voltage ID value. My Atom was set to 0.5700 V to be stable at 1866.66 MHz. If you go too low your tablet will crash.

An Atom CPU running at 1800 MHz is about as powerful as a Core i CPU running at 600 MHz. The Atom were designed for low power consumption. These were great CPUs when surfing the net and checking your email. Not sure what games are possible on a device that was so under powered. 

1 hour ago, unclewebb said:

ThrottleStop and Windows have no control over your CPU when SpeedStep is disabled. 

At full load, my Atom Z is consuming 2 W. Not sure if you or the BIOS set your turbo power limits to 60W and 80W but that is definitely overkill. Setting the turbo power limits to 5 W is probably way more than enough. Set the turbo time limit to the default value, 28 seconds and do not check the Clamp option.

After you enable SpeedStep, your CPU should be running at 1833.33 MHz. To adjust the voltage, increase or decrease the Voltage ID value. My Atom was set to 0.5700 V to be stable at 1866.66 MHz. If you go too low your tablet will crash.

An Atom CPU running at 1800 MHz is about as powerful as a Core i CPU running at 600 MHz. The Atom were designed for low power consumption. These were great CPUs when surfing the net and checking your email. Not sure what games are possible on a device that was so under powered. 

What i did earlier was to update my BIOS from the official Acer Support Website, as i had some issues with my docking keyboard and that BIOS update fixed that. Maybe that could've done that. Can you look into the picture and tell me if that is fine now? And what about my PP0 Power Level? is that supposed to be at 100? And what does it even do?

The Part of changing my Voltage: Do i change the Voltage ID or how do i change it?

As i said: i can clearly run some older Games, i.e. Counter-Strike 1.6 at around 100 FPS on 5v5 PUG Server and a knockoff off Counter Strike called "Battle Teams" where i get around 75 to 100 FPS prior while it was locked at 0.48GHz . And thanks for helping me out so far ❤️

ltt ts config 4.jpg

Did you check SpeedStep? Is your CPU running at full speed yet? Your power limits look OK and the PP0 Current Limit set to 100 is OK too.

Press the Voltage ID adjusters to increase or decrease the CPU voltage. 

image.png.dde73fc23c03403c01cd1a997bfe586b.png

42 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

Did you check SpeedStep? Is your CPU running at full speed yet? Your power limits look OK and the PP0 Current Limit set to 100 is OK too.

Press the Voltage ID adjusters to increase or decrease the CPU voltage. 

image.png.dde73fc23c03403c01cd1a997bfe586b.png

Yes i did check SpeedStep, and the max Voltage ID i can pick is the one shown in the screenshot. I just found out that, if all cores run at the same time, it gets stuck at 1.55GHz. If it only runs a single core and a single threat, it goes up to 1.7GHz. Is there anything to increase the GHz of all cores simultaneniously? 

Oh and is it possible to Undervoltage the CPU with IXTU?

44 minutes ago, Waftyshoof said:

Undervoltage the CPU with IXTU?

Intel XTU does not support the Atom CPUs. To undervolt the CPU, use ThrottleStop to decrease the Voltage ID. These CPUs come with a fixed minimum and maximum voltage. You cannot use software to go beyond the max or go below the min. These voltage limits are hard coded within the CPU. They do not use the FIVR like modern Core i CPUs use. They have more in common with the older Core 2 Duo, including performance.

https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Atom/Intel-Atom Z3735G.html

CPU World shows that the CPU speed drops down when 3 or 4 cores are active. The CPU running at 1583 MHz when fully loaded sounds correct for your CPU. Intel Turbo Boost is working as designed. This is not an unlocked K series CPU. I am lucky that my Atom Z3740 allows the full multiplier to be used and is not limited by how many cores are active. Your Z3735G is not so lucky.

https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Atom/Intel-Atom Z3740.html

On 3/1/2021 at 9:03 PM, unclewebb said:

Intel XTU does not support the Atom CPUs. To undervolt the CPU, use ThrottleStop to decrease the Voltage ID. These CPUs come with a fixed minimum and maximum voltage. You cannot use software to go beyond the max or go below the min. These voltage limits are hard coded within the CPU. They do not use the FIVR like modern Core i CPUs use. They have more in common with the older Core 2 Duo, including performance.

https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Atom/Intel-Atom Z3735G.html

CPU World shows that the CPU speed drops down when 3 or 4 cores are active. The CPU running at 1583 MHz when fully loaded sounds correct for your CPU. Intel Turbo Boost is working as designed. This is not an unlocked K series CPU. I am lucky that my Atom Z3740 allows the full multiplier to be used and is not limited by how many cores are active. Your Z3735G is not so lucky.

https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Atom/Intel-Atom Z3740.html

Thanks for the info on that! But my issue with the fact that my CPU still does not lock into Perma-Turbo with TS is still intact. Do you have any ideas on why that might be the case? Is that also due to the "unlucky" factor?

3 hours ago, Waftyshoof said:

Perma-Turbo

What speed does your CPU run at when running the TS Bench - 4 Thread test?

The older Atom Z3745 that I have can run this test at 1866 MHz.

The Atom Z3735G that you have maxes out at 1583 MHz when all cores are active. ThrottleStop should show the 19.00 multiplier for each thread.

2 hours ago, unclewebb said:

What speed does your CPU run at when running the TS Bench - 4 Thread test?

The older Atom Z3745 that I have can run this test at 1866 MHz.

The Atom Z3735G that you have maxes out at 1583 MHz when all cores are active. ThrottleStop should show the 19.00 multiplier for each thread.

That's my issue: Whenever i start up ThrottleStop and press on "Activate" it goes down to the 0.48GHz. And it actually stays there, even if i run TS Bench or Prime95.

On 3/1/2021 at 12:27 PM, Waftyshoof said:

I just found out that, if all cores run at the same time, it gets stuck at 1.55GHz.

You said this was working correctly so what have you changed since then?

Post a screenshot of ThrottleStop 9.3 while running a TS Bench - 1 Thread test.

Does the 1 Thread test run at 0.48 GHz? Did you try increasing the turbo power limits?

On 3/3/2021 at 8:29 PM, unclewebb said:

You said this was working correctly so what have you changed since then?

Post a screenshot of ThrottleStop 9.3 while running a TS Bench - 1 Thread test.

Does the 1 Thread test run at 0.48 GHz? Did you try increasing the turbo power limits?

No i had the same exact things left like i showed you earlier. But the thing is: i got into an endless BSOD loop, so i had to bring it to factory settings back.

dunno why that happened but ohwell.