Galaxy Fold vs Iphone?

OttoVonBismarck

Hi there,

i'm thinking about upgrading this year when we get to see both the fold 3 and the iphone 13 (pro max equivalent).

What are people's thoughts when it comes to comparing the current fold 2 and the iphone 12 pro max? Do the folds slow down dramatically like previous samsungs i have had (s6 edge and S8+ both were terrible experiences after about 2 years)

If a buddy's S20+ is any indication: Modern Samsung is still just as bad, if not worse. If I'm not mistaken, he used it for maybe a month and a half before ditching it for an 8T.

Obviously not a Fold 2, but it sure as hell doesn't bode well for it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

User of both a Note 10+ and a Z Fold 2, nothing to complain about. Buy an iPhone only IF you have other Apple products like a MacBook and such. If not, an Android (flagship from the looks of your initial post) phone would be the ticket.

By way of feedback, I can only comment about the Fold 2 which I'm presently using, but no comparison with any iPhone as I'm not an iSheep (sorry). I upgraded my Fold 2 from the original Fold, andI must say the Fold 2 is much more refined phone compared to the Fold. Scree size is great for reading my eBooks and mangas, the camera is decent enough and takes pretty good pics, how it compares to the iPhone, I can't say, you'll have to check online reviews/comparisons for that.

I'd suggest you get a case to go with the Fold 2 should you be predisposed that way, handling the Fold 2 without a case is not for the feint hearted. And I'd suggest the Spigen Slim Armor Pro, that's the one I'm using. It adds bulk to the phone but it provides the best protection for this expensive phone. 

For audio, I have a Sony WH-1000X M3 for when I don't wanna deal with cables, and for wired, I have an iBasso DC-02 with various IEM's for my listening pleasure.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2 hours ago, GamerDude said:

but no comparison with any iPhone as I'm not an iSheep (sorry).

🍿🍿🍿

12 hours ago, OttoVonBismarck said:

Hi there,

i'm thinking about upgrading this year when we get to see both the fold 3 and the iphone 13 (pro max equivalent).

What are people's thoughts when it comes to comparing the current fold 2 and the iphone 12 pro max? Do the folds slow down dramatically like previous samsungs i have had (s6 edge and S8+ both were terrible experiences after about 2 years)

Two different beasts, I'd say.

The Z Fold 2 is the all-out phone for those who want the most features possible and are willing to make compromises to get there. It's a clever design, and you will feel like a badass when you start using it like a tablet... but foldable phone tech is also early, so you'll be dealing with a relatively fragile screen, a (fairly subtle, but present) crease and a thicker body when the phone is folded up. The Z Fold 3 will likely just be a refinement of that.

The iPhone 12 Pro Max, on the other hand, plays it safe but also does what it does extremely well. It's faster than the Z Fold 2, takes better photos, and will be both slimmer and more durable. It's definitely not a one-handed phone, but then neither is the Fold unless you avoid using its main feature.

I understand Samsung's approach to software has improved over time, but that it's not immune to the "bit rot" that seems to plague some Samsung phones with subsequent updates. If you want the most consistent performance over time... yeah, get an iPhone.