Ghosting effect on my new monitor

25mellow

I'm getting quite a lot of ghosting on my new 144hz 1ms response time monitor I'm just asking if there is a solution to this. https://youtu.be/YrseCKXL30g https://youtu.be/oBxEv8s44gw I don't only get in one game I get it in many games and sometimes my desktop. I have the MSI Optix G24C4 Full HD 24" Curved LED Gaming Monitor

Well, the main issue you have here is the fact it's VA panel. Everyone is praising IPS this, IPS that, VA this VA that and everyone is taking a piss on TN based on experience they had from 15 years ago.

Let me tell you something. I had a 144Hz 1ms (GTG) TN gaming monitor and when it comes to sharpness of image in motion, it was just unmatched. Now I have fancy IPS display with 144Hz 1ms (MPRT). That TN actually didn't shift colors all that much where current IPS has a super disgusting yellow tint in bottom right corner unless I look at it from really stupid side angle. It makes almost everything look like sun is shining in that corner. And I can clearly see quite dramatic ghosting despite hyped 144Hz and 1ms response time. Which brings me to the other point...

Everyone is measuring pixel response time in MPRT these days which is basically a bullshit value if you ask me given what I see on what's allegedly suppose to be same thing as monitor I had before it, but with TN panel. The 1ms MPRT is nowhere near as fast as 1ms GTG. And sluggish pixels mean ghosting trails because they can't shift states fast enough, even if monitor runs at 700 trillion Hz.

Bottom line is, all these "reviewers" and "experts" are selling BS wrapped in gospel repeated for so long everyone laughs at TN panels, ignoring the fact all these "experts" are pretty much basing the verdicts on outdated experience using literally prehistoric technology and praising color accuracy like any gamer gives a rats ass about colors precision. And no TN monitor has colors so off that it'll all look like garbage. Especially since you usually don't have time to chase slightly off color pixels or even groups of them. I had TN monitors all my life to this point when I gave in to all this IPS praising nonsense. And sorry, it's nowhere near as good if you're a gamer. Like, NOWHERE. Monitor I have is not best of the best, but isn't some 100€ cheapo IPS either. And given all the praise of IPS tech in general, I've expected better and in all honesty I now slightly regret selling the VG248QE that I had before it. Modern TN monitors have come a long way and barely shift colors under even most extreme angles, have superior pixel response times and you can get them in all crazy refresh flavors. Unless you do graphic design for a living, get a good TN monitor.

But since you're now stuck with what you have, you can try improving it with different settings. I could slightly mitigate ghosting by setting Overdrive to "Speed" in monitor settings. Supposedly it should lower image quality, but I can't really see any difference other than getting much less ghosting. I suggest you look for same settings in your monitor settings. It's usually "Overdrive" or "Anti Ghosting" or "Anti Blur" or something along those lines. It might make it better, but ultimately it's VA panel which behaves pretty close to IPS and they aren't particularly fast no matter how manufacturers are hyping image sharpness due to 144Hz and 1ms response times.

• 11 months later...

I have the same monitor, bought it like a couple weeks ago. I just noticed that whenever i'm scrolling up and down, all of the words have this like shadown under or above them. I don't know if this is normal because this is my first time using a va panel monitor. Have you found a to fix it yet? I also tried setting the refresh rate to normal like most people suggested but still nothing changed.