Looking For An APPROVED Usb Wlan 5ghz Internet Stick

TheRealDannyyy

I'm currently the owner of an Edimax stick. Since switching to Win10, this thing has only made problems. Despite forcing 5ghz and doing all the recommended "fixes" with services, it's still up to chance for it to keep a steady connection or disconnect. I'm fully aware that a lan cable or pcie-slot network card would be better but I'm looking for an USB stick regardless.

Does anyone with Windows 10 have a recommendation for an approved, working USB Wlan 5ghz Internet Stick?

15 minutes ago, TheRealDannyyy said:

a steady connection or disconnect

Have you checked your power settings under the Device's properties? Windows has a nasty habit of enabling "power save" mode on the devices, causing it to turn off (or disconnect) when it feels it's not in use, regardless of whether you are actually using it or not.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Have you checked your power settings under the Device's properties? Windows has a nasty habit of enabling "power save" mode on the devices, causing it to turn off (or disconnect) when it feels it's not in use, regardless of whether you are actually using it or not.

Yes I did literally everything possible. I'm honestly just looking for recommendations now, no other potential "fixes".

14 minutes ago, TheRealDannyyy said:

Yes I did literally everything possible. I'm honestly just looking for recommendations now, no other potential "fixes".

USB should be the last resort for a WiFi adapter. They’re not the most reliable compared to PCIe/m.2 as they have a higher failure rate.

If USB is the best you can do, try to get one where the antennae can be mounted in different positions away from the actual USB port on the PC (like this one or this one). There are more axes for manipulation of the antennae, which can assist with better wireless reception.

14 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

USB should be the last resort for a WiFi adapter. They’re not the most reliable compared to PCIe/m.2 as they have a higher failure rate.

If USB is the best you can do, try to get one where the antennae can be mounted in different positions away from the actual USB port on the PC (like this one or this one). There are more axes for manipulation of the antennae, which can assist with better wireless reception.

I already have an antenna type stick and am aware that USB isn't the best solution. However I've also looked for PCIe cards and most of them also seem to suck big time with drivers (excluding the built-in MB stuff). Sadly both products you mentioned aren't available in my region (Germany).

Thanks! Would appreciate more product recommendations if possible.

49 minutes ago, TheRealDannyyy said:

I already have an antenna type stick and am aware that USB isn't the best solution.

The “sticks” are not as good. And despite you not having those specific models that I linked to in Germany, it’s the concept that matters. After reviewing your Edimax adapter, I see that it has a similar setup, but is just a single physical antenna; not the dual antennae that are provided on more common adapters.

Your Edimax adapter is also based on USB 2.0, which would have a theoretical maximum transfer speed of 480Mbps. If this adapter is plugged into an older generation port or is sharing bandwidth with other USB-connected devices on the same controller, then its speed will be seriously bottlenecked. Also, keep in mind that USB also provides power, so the more devices you have connected over USB pulling power, the more likely one of those devices are to underperform from insufficient power.

Finally, Microsoft Updates through Windows 10 can break things, especially when it comes to drivers. Check to make sure Windows isn’t set to install additional updates (e.g. drivers) and use the ones provided by Edimax. From a little Googling, the Edimax EW07811UAC is known to have issues with Windows 10.

50 minutes ago, TheRealDannyyy said:

However I've also looked for PCIe cards and most of them also seem to suck big time with drivers (excluding the built-in MB stuff).

I’ve found the greatest success with Intel-based adapters. Broadcomm chipsets are supposed to be good as well; RealTek not so much. Third-party brands will normally take Intel-based chipsets, for example, attach a heatsink and brackets and re-sell, like this Fenvi adapter with an Intel AX210 (WiFi 6e chipset) and include separate antennae for $50. I’d expect this to perform better than a similar product with fixed antennae at the I/O bracket.

If changing out adapters doesn’t solve the problem, then it’s likely not due to the adapter and some other issue(s) that you haven’t addressed yet from your previous “fixes”. Asking for recommendations at this point without knowing the exact issue is likely to be just as good as buying the adapter with the best reviews on your favourite online web shop.

2 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

The “sticks” are not as good. And despite you not having those specific models that I linked to in Germany, it’s the concept that matters. After reviewing your Edimax adapter, I see that it has a similar setup, but is just a single physical antenna; not the dual antennae that are provided on more common adapters.

Your Edimax adapter is also based on USB 2.0, which would have a theoretical maximum transfer speed of 480Mbps. If this adapter is plugged into an older generation port or is sharing bandwidth with other USB-connected devices on the same controller, then its speed will be seriously bottlenecked. Also, keep in mind that USB also provides power, so the more devices you have connected over USB pulling power, the more likely one of those devices are to underperform from insufficient power.

Finally, Microsoft Updates through Windows 10 can break things, especially when it comes to drivers. Check to make sure Windows isn’t set to install additional updates (e.g. drivers) and use the ones provided by Edimax. From a little Googling, the Edimax EW07811UAC is known to have issues with Windows 10.

I’ve found the greatest success with Intel-based adapters. Broadcomm chipsets are supposed to be good as well; RealTek not so much. Third-party brands will normally take Intel-based chipsets, for example, attach a heatsink and brackets and re-sell, like this Fenvi adapter with an Intel AX210 (WiFi 6e chipset) and include separate antennae for $50. I’d expect this to perform better than a similar product with fixed antennae at the I/O bracket.

If changing out adapters doesn’t solve the problem, then it’s likely not due to the adapter and some other issue(s) that you haven’t addressed yet from your previous “fixes”. Asking for recommendations at this point without knowing the exact issue is likely to be just as good as buying the adapter with the best reviews on your favourite online web shop.

The Edimax stick is connected to a 3.0 port from the MB, it has enough energy. It's also not re/disconnecting on the USB side of things but from the network itself. (My internet connection is 60Mbps max, so it wouldn't matter if 2.0 or 3.0 anyway.)

I got in contact with Edimax support a while ago and they told me that their drivers on the website and not necessary and even outdated. I could also confirm this myself, since the website drivers frequently resulted in bluescreens while shutting down. I regardless tested the connectivity of both Windows and website drivers, with the same results.

In terms of the fixes, it's a mix between what I could find on the internet and what they recommended to do:

- sfc /scannow

- Restart WLAN autoconnect service (also tested both automatic and automatic [delayed])

- Advanced power: Wireless adapter settings = Max performance

- Advanced power: USB selective suspend = Disable

- Device manager: Power management = Off

- Device manager: Force 5ghz ac

At this point I'm pretty sure that a Windows update broke their drivers, since it all works perfectly fine on my Win7 PC.

Feel free to suggest other potential fixes, if you got any.

On 2/27/2021 at 2:39 PM, TheRealDannyyy said:

Feel free to suggest other potential fixes, if you got any.

Uninstall the drivers and adapter through Device Manager and allow Windows to install the drivers on reboot.

If that doesn’t work, then I’d say just get another adapter with good reviews from whichever store is available in your area.

1 hour ago, Falcon1986 said:

Uninstall the drivers and adapter through Device Manager and allow Windows to install the drivers on reboot.

If that doesn’t work, then I’d say just get another adapter with good reviews from whichever store is available in your area.

Already did that. I'm pretty sure it's just the drivers in general, not working well with the latest Windows 10.

This is the only more "modern" stick I could find for now. Might pick it up, unless someone has better recommendations:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B00GGLL5TC/?coliid=I2S2NVTPDIZNOD&colid=1CM0J6Q02BG3C&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it