Corsair HX 650 Questions

Chris Greene
Go to solution Solved by boghubodaghi,
53 minutes ago, Chris Greene said:

So I would be better of even getting a cheap Thermaltake 430w white or something like that for my budget Ryzen build I gather?

No that's not a good idea, I'd get something better like the CM MWE V2 or CX non modular.

Here is my power supply Id ideally like to use in a budget Ryzen build. Curious if the missing pin in the 24 pin would affect that, and I should just opt for a newer power supply? No OC, cheap Ryzen board, 1060 3gb and maybe like a 1600 or 2600 Ryzen any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated, I'm super noob to this all, but this old PSU of mine was babied and I think it could still be used. (although I could be wrong and is why I am asking) 

Missing 24 pin? what do you mean by that?

That psu is semi modular, you can't loose the 24 pin.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

the psu in question is from 2009 and has a pin missing from its 24 pin array from my research I think its called the -5v 

IMG_20210226_222610807.jpg

That PSU is over a decade old, and is based on the super low end S12 II. Meaning lacking protections, low end, and group regulated. Get a half decent PSU instead.

4 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Missing 24 pin? what do you mean by that?

That psu is semi modular, you can't loose the 24 pin.

They aren't asking about the 24-pin connector missing, they are asking if the missing pin in the 24-pin connector is affecting anything. Which, no, it won't. It has been unpopulated for almost 20 years now.

Edited by seon123
Something something

:)

So I would be better of even getting a cheap Thermaltake 430w white or something like that for my budget Ryzen build I gather?

Thank you for the replies. As well as that I would assume qualifies this PSU as a Legacy part if I'm not mistaken. So in all reality I should bring it to my local RoHs

53 minutes ago, Chris Greene said:

No that's not a good idea, I'd get something better like the CM MWE V2 or CX non modular.

7 hours ago, Chris Greene said:

the psu in question is from 2009 and has a pin missing from its 24 pin array from my research I think its called the -5v 

That pin was removed a very long time ago. It's normal for it to be missing.

7 hours ago, Chris Greene said:

You'd be better off keeping the old HX650 than a cheap Thermaltake PSU.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

35 minutes ago, Spotty said:

You'd be better off keeping the old HX650 than a cheap Thermaltake PSU.

@Chris Greene This ^^^^

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER