How do file converters work.

ScriptKiddo

Hey there. I’ve been reading a lot of classic books recently on my kindle Paper white because free PDFs for them are often online somewhere. Because the kindle paperwhite is terrible at PDFs I often convert them to mobi (or the ebook format it likes) through online converters, the problem these online converters Is there often extremely slow if you don’t pay for there online version (because they like to do sneaky things like limit connection speed and not throw a lot of processing power at you with these free versions). I have ok desktop and have wanted to do some upgrades for a while so wanted to know whether these programs are more cpu dependent or gpu dependent so I can plan accordingly. (Obviously I’m not building a entire rig around converting friggen PDFs but I just wanted it to be a factor, if small in my build)

Ignore the grammatical errors, I typed this on a terrible digital iPad keyboard I am not used too and am too lazy to change it :P.

Maybe try Calibre or https://convertio.co/, I find it's the best free online file conversion website.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

12 minutes ago, ScriptKiddo said:

I have ok desktop and have wanted to do some upgrades for a while so wanted to know whether these programs are more cpu dependent or gpu dependent so I can plan accordingly.

Those don't use the GPU at all, and are not that CPU intensive. As mentioned above, give Calibre a try.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Calibre will convert to various formats. 

It should convert pretty much any book within a minute or two, even on very slow computers.  Books are mostly HTML (like web pages) and pictures and formatting, so there's no need to use video cards to process things, just a regular CPU is enough.

You can download free books from Project Gutenberg website in various formats... they're books with expired copyright, so legal. 

There's also archive org which has loads of magazines and stuff free for download, most of them legal ... and there's other more controversial websites which have lots of books.. won't say but you can give me a private message and ask me if interested

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv