Troubles With An Oldie

Kilrath
Go to solution Solved by Radium_Angel,
1 minute ago, Kilrath said:

Thats what i was thinking, just didnt want to call the guy a liar and go to his door and he puts it in his old system and it boots making me look stupid lol. Wanted to make sure there wasnt some sort of issue people have ran into running that chip and this board.

So simply tell him it doesn't work *on your system*

That way there is no hurt feelings.

I had a AM3 system laying in the closet so i put it to work as a personal game server. It is a Sabertooth 990FX Rev 1.01 Board with a FX-8150 in it. Fired it up and it works perfectly fine. It has its Bios flashed to newest revision 1604 and i cleared CMOS. I bought a FX-8350 used off a person who swears up and down he just pulled it from a working system his kid was using (i know, sometimes people lie) but when i install it into the board i get no post, Black screen, no beeps but fans of course start up. The board has LEDs to show what component is being initialized i guess and it is stuck on CPU. If i put the 8150 back in, it fires right up again.

Inspecting the CPU there was what looked almost like corrosion or baked on TIM around the base of a couple pins and a few pins were SLIGHTLY bent (if you looked down the row you could see a tiny bit sticking out past the rest). I took it to work to clean it better and i just straightened those pins that slightest little bit but havent been home to test it yet.

The question i guess is (before i call this guy a liar), is there a way for me to absolutely verify the chip is dead without having to find another am3 board to test it in? I heard the FX chips can be very finicky and even though a board says it will work, the 8350 has had issues posting on some. The Sabertooth 990FX from what i was to understand was one of the highest end boards of the time.

32 minutes ago, Kilrath said:

without having to find another am3 board

Nope, you'll need a board to test with.

Just verify your existing board supports it. It may not...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

10 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Nope, you'll need a board to test with.

Just verify your existing board supports it. It may not...

Yea on the CPU list page it says the fx-8350 for Sabertooth 990fx (no revision listed) on bios 1604.

2 minutes ago, Kilrath said:

Yea on the CPU list page it says the fx-8350 for Sabertooth 990fx (no revision listed) on bios 1604.

If it's supported, then chances are the chip is bad. Especially if by putting the old chip back in, everything works.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

If it's supported, then chances are the chip is bad. Especially if by putting the old chip back in, everything works.

Thats what i was thinking, just didnt want to call the guy a liar and go to his door and he puts it in his old system and it boots making me look stupid lol. Wanted to make sure there wasnt some sort of issue people have ran into running that chip and this board.

1 minute ago, Kilrath said:

So simply tell him it doesn't work *on your system*

That way there is no hurt feelings.