Re-use preconfigured modems

GordonHBrown

Hi

I'm new to this forum so apologies if this question has been asked before.

Is there a way to re-purpose the modems that are supplied by ISPs, except as door stops or geek-art? I'm regularly removing BT Hubs and other routers that suppliers don't want back which seems such a waste but they can't be reconfigured unless someone can tell me how?

Gordon

If they support custom DHCP ranges or even better DHCP relay they can be used as APs.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

33 minutes ago, GordonHBrown said:

Hi

I'm new to this forum so apologies if this question has been asked before.

Is there a way to re-purpose the modems that are supplied by ISPs, except as door stops or geek-art? I'm regularly removing BT Hubs and other routers that suppliers don't want back which seems such a waste but they can't be reconfigured unless someone can tell me how?

Gordon

Sure, but make sure to reset them. To be safe, SSH into the device and do some spring cleaning. Also close those pesky backdoor ports. If you can get your hands on it, re-flashing the OEM OS onto the device would be the best solution. Other than that, they make excellent small home wireless routers and switches or access points. Just don't resell them, that would be considered a crime in many western countries.

15 hours ago, Applefreak said:

Sure, but make sure to reset them. To be safe, SSH into the device and do some spring cleaning. Also close those pesky backdoor ports. If you can get your hands on it, re-flashing the OEM OS onto the device would be the best solution. Other than that, they make excellent small home wireless routers and switches or access points. Just don't resell them, that would be considered a crime in many western countries.

Applefreak that's what I thought but getting firmware is nigh on impossible. I seem to remember once seeing a non-generic flash for routers, have you ever come across it?