Windows File share problem over LAN

PC GAMER 01

I'm the biggest noob at networking. This may be a stupid question tell me if it is. I have 2 Windows 10 PC's both plugged directly into the router via gig ethernet. On one of them I have a folder that I have shared using the built in Windows share. For some reason if I go on the 2nd PC and try copy a file over the network from the first PC, I get the same speeds of the internet my router is providing (50mbps). Should I not be getting closer to Gigabit speeds as it's being sent over LAN? I think the problem is that it's not being send over LAN but through the network provider and being sent back to me but I don't know much about this.

4 minutes ago, PC GAMER 01 said:

I'm the biggest noob at networking. This may be a stupid question tell me if it is. I have 2 Windows 10 PC's both plugged directly into the router via gig ethernet. On one of them I have a folder that I have shared using the built in Windows share. For some reason if I go on the 2nd PC and try copy a file over the network from the first PC, I get the same speeds of the internet my router is providing (50mbps). Should I not be getting closer to Gigabit speeds as it's being sent over LAN? I think the problem is that it's not being send over LAN but through the network provider and being sent back to me but I don't know much about this.

It depends on a number of factors, not least of which is what your drives can handle in terms of read/write speeds.

The type of network cabling you have, the age of the system's NICs, among other things.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I have drives that can do at least 140mb/s easily and my cabling is cat5e which is capable of gigabit and the pc's and routers have gigabit ethernet ports

6 hours ago, PC GAMER 01 said:

Should I not be getting closer to Gigabit speeds as it's being sent over LAN?

Not necessarily. You might have the capacity to accommodate 1Gbps over the LAN, but your maximum speed will be limited by the slowest factor in the file transfer. Most times, the limitation is at the speed of the storage interface/controller (SATA will be slower than NVMe) on either 1 or both ends of the transfer. Then there’s also the limitation that can happen at the CPU level, especially if CPU resources are low or being consumed by other background tasks. The next point can be at the router level; not all routers sold as “gigabit” routers can sustain gigabit speeds either initially or for a sustained period of time.

6 hours ago, PC GAMER 01 said:

I think the problem is that it's not being send over LAN but through the network provider and being sent back to me

No. File transfers over the LAN are negotiated at the router/switch level.

You can optimize the bulk transfer of files over the network by using third party programs like TeraCopy, Ultracopier, FastCopy or Robocopy (CLI tool) rather than using Windows Explorer.

16 hours ago, PC GAMER 01 said:

I have drives that can do at least 140mb/s easily and my cabling is cat5e which is capable of gigabit and the pc's and routers have gigabit ethernet ports

That's typically just burst speed not sustained and doesn't include any other overheads like network transfers. The 50mbps you are see is most likely 50MBps (Megabytes per second) as Windows Explorer reports things in bytes not bits 50MBps = 400Mbps.

A typical HDD transferring general files will do between 50MBps to 80MBps, with larger files getting a bit higher than this. The size of the files affects the achieved transfer speed, more files that are small the slower the overall transfer speed will be.

Even if my router was not as good as gigabit ethernet connection I should still be getting at least 10MB/s (That's if it was 100mbps connection) why aren't I?