Graphics card for a media center pc

Hi all,

Just looking for some suggestions for a ideal graphics card for a media center pc. The system will only be used as media center pc and no gaming.

The pc will be running on my 42" LG full HD which will be upgraded once 4k prices drop in a few years times (will upgrade the graphic card also then). Not sure if I need a major graphics card for this and would sooner save myself the money and not have a card that is too good for the needs of the system.

Thanks for the help.

If you're just watching videos at 1080p an APU from AMD will do just fine. No discrete graphics needed.

• Primary PC: i7-3770K@4,6GHz | Thermalright Macho | ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance@1866MHz | 2x Gigabyte 660ti 3GB@1130MHz | 256 GB Samsung 840 | WD Black 1TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 650W | Zalman Z11
  • Secondary PC: i7-860@3,1GHz | Scythe Katana 3 | ASUS Maximus III Formula P55 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | 2x Zotac GTX 280@650MHz | WD Velociraptor 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 750W | Coolermaster Cosmos S

if you want it to have some gaming ability you could get a 750ti 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

If you're just watching videos at 1080p an APU from AMD will do just fine. No discrete graphics needed.

Intel works too. 

Integrated graphics are plenty for watching videos. I'd stick with AMD's more powerful APU options if 4K is a sure thing though.

if you want it to have some gaming ability you could get a 750ti 

He said no gaming.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Intel works too. 

Integrated graphics are plenty for watching videos. I'd stick with AMD's more powerful APU options if 4K is a sure thing though.

Sure, Intel works too. But I tend to recommend APUs for this kind of usage. The price to performance ratio of the AMD solution is so much better than Intels solution, that it imo doesn't make any sense to buy an Intel CPU for a media center PC in this scenario.

• Primary PC: i7-3770K@4,6GHz | Thermalright Macho | ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance@1866MHz | 2x Gigabyte 660ti 3GB@1130MHz | 256 GB Samsung 840 | WD Black 1TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 650W | Zalman Z11
  • Secondary PC: i7-860@3,1GHz | Scythe Katana 3 | ASUS Maximus III Formula P55 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | 2x Zotac GTX 280@650MHz | WD Velociraptor 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 750W | Coolermaster Cosmos S

Sure, Intel works too. But I tend to recommend APUs for this kind of usage. The price to performance ratio of the AMD solution is so much better than Intels solution, that it imo doesn't make any sense to buy an Intel CPU for a media center PC in this scenario.

Going Haswell can have lower power consumption and have a quieter stock cooler. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Thanks for the quick answer guys!

Also like to add this system will have a satellite tv tuner, not sure if this would mean any difference

Going Haswell can have lower power consumption and have a quieter stock cooler. 

That's a good point, but in my point negligible in a Media PC. The 10W difference under load won't make much difference to your energy bill at the end of the year. AND I wouldn't run either stock cooler in my living room.

Also like to add this system will have a satellite tv tuner, not sure if this would mean any difference

No.

That's a good point, but in my point negligible in a Media PC. The 10W difference under load won't make much difference to your energy bill at the end of the year. AND I wouldn't run either stock cooler in my living room.

Why not? The Intel Stock cooler is pretty quiet at low speeds. The cpu shouldn't ever be under high load. Getting an aftermarket cooler also kind of kills the price/performance thing. 

Definitely grab an APU, absolutely no need for a discreet graphicscard. Make sure you get a good aftermarket cooler as well to keep noise down.

Why not? The Intel Stock cooler is pretty quiet at low speeds. The cpu shouldn't ever be under high load. Getting an aftermarket cooler also kind of kills the price/performance thing. 

I don't know what kind of Intel stock cooler you've been running but the couple I've been through sure as hell weren't anywhere near silent.

Because I hate buzzing noises etc. in the living room/kitchen area. It gets me mad. And I'm pretty sensitive when it comes to those noises. But I think we can agree that both AMD and Intel offer viable products for setting up a media PC.

I don't know what kind of Intel stock cooler you've been running but the couple I've been through sure as hell weren't anywhere near silent.

I'm talking about the recent ones from IvyB and Haswell. They're not silent but aren't that loud at all. Have you tried turning down the speeds all the way down and actually using it in a case with good airflow?

I'm talking about the recent ones from IvyB and Haswell. They're not silent but aren't that loud at all. Have you tried turning down the speeds all the way down and actually using it in a case with good airflow?

I've used them on an open test bench and they were both noisy and hot as hell under normal gaming load (Sandy Bridge-E and Haswell). There's no way what so ever that I could ever recommend using them in a media center, which in my opinion is a quite noise sensitive matter.

I've used them on an open test bench and they were both noisy and hot as hell under normal gaming load (Sandy Bridge-E and Haswell). There's no way what so ever that I could ever recommend using them in a media center, which in my opinion is a quite noise sensitive matter.

We're talking about a low load environment though. 

I dont know where you hear noise from. if its low load you will be fine on stock coolers. my high school has 30 PCs in a room, all new I5s. guarantee you they are all on stock coolers, in a room with all of them, its still dead quite. 

my vote is you will be fine on stock cooler. either intel or amd is fine for this build, integrated graphics on intel is not bad at all, not unless your gaming. we do some light Photoshop work on integrated and that's fine.

Thanks for the quick answer guys!

you should post iin the build planning section if you want feedback on your media center build. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire