Looking for a new mic.

Silentknight
Go to solution Solved by FanOfKOTOKO,

For ~$70 I think the MXL Tempo is a better choice for a USB condenser mic :x

The DG 5.1 doesn't have a great mic port (or rather, it's not really any better than the default microphone port on your on-board audio) nor does it supply phantom power, so if you want to use the sound card you'll be stuck with dynamics, so you're better off with USB mics for the most part unless you have some sort of interface. That said, you don't really need that much for Vent or Skype.

I'm looking to get a new mic, and I need done recommendations. I would prefer analog to make good use of my soundcard but I would consider a USB based mic. Standalone only I don't need a headset combo. I've heard good things about the yeti, but I have enough clutter on my desk already. Ideally I would be mounting the mic on an adjustable boom (diy IKEA). Any and all suggestions welcome.

Primary use is vent/Skype but also for twitch streaming.

• CPU - Intel x79 3820 @ 4.30 Ghz || Motherboard - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme || RAM - 16GB Corsair Dominator 1866 Mhz 4x4 || GPU - EVGA GTX 680 SLI (2x)

• Case - CM HAF-X || Storage - Corsair SSD 120GB/60GB WD 1TB Black || PSU - Corsair HX1050 || Display(s) - 3x@ 24" 1x Auxillary 19" || Cooling - Corsair H100

Keyboard - Mionix Zibal 60 || Mouse - Logitech G602

The Yeti you can mount up. and from what i hear of people using it(watching Stream) its really good.

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Blue Snowball. 

he didnt want more stuff on this table :)

he didnt want more stuff on this table :)

It's really small. But if you really don't want another thing on your desk get the Mod Mic Op. 

. I would prefer analog to make good use of my soundcard but I would consider a USB based mic.

I guess you mean a mic with an XLR connector not USB here...? Not sure where you're going with that analogue mic thing. You say soundcard. What do you have? The XLR version (which I have) of the Audio Technica at2020 is worth a look. It has very similar sound to a blue snowball

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

i can understand him :P with a big mouse mat, mouse and keyboard and ... yea 3 monitors i ran out of room, i cant even fit a normal keyboard so i use a 10 keyless one :P (wanted a shorter one anyhow tho)

If you want to make use of your sound card then you'll mostly be looking at dynamic mics unless said sound card has phantom power somehow. For ~$100 or under the Shure SM57 or AKG D5 is probably one of the better dynamics you'll find for the price IMO; the SM57 in particular has been used by every US president since Johnson lol

Current PC: AMD FX8320 || PNY GTX 770 || 2x4GB || ASUS M5A97 || Corsair TX 750 V2 || Asus Essence STX || CM Storm Enforcer
Peripherals: Logitech G500S || Cooler Master Quickfire TK || Audio-Technica AT2020 || Focusrite iTrack Solo || Q701 + DT990 Pro

I run 4 monitor on a custom built stand. As for my soundcard I'm using an ASUS Xonar DG 5.1

• CPU - Intel x79 3820 @ 4.30 Ghz || Motherboard - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme || RAM - 16GB Corsair Dominator 1866 Mhz 4x4 || GPU - EVGA GTX 680 SLI (2x)

• Case - CM HAF-X || Storage - Corsair SSD 120GB/60GB WD 1TB Black || PSU - Corsair HX1050 || Display(s) - 3x@ 24" 1x Auxillary 19" || Cooling - Corsair H100

For ~$70 I think the MXL Tempo is a better choice for a USB condenser mic :x

The DG 5.1 doesn't have a great mic port (or rather, it's not really any better than the default microphone port on your on-board audio) nor does it supply phantom power, so if you want to use the sound card you'll be stuck with dynamics, so you're better off with USB mics for the most part unless you have some sort of interface. That said, you don't really need that much for Vent or Skype.

Current PC: AMD FX8320 || PNY GTX 770 || 2x4GB || ASUS M5A97 || Corsair TX 750 V2 || Asus Essence STX || CM Storm Enforcer
Peripherals: Logitech G500S || Cooler Master Quickfire TK || Audio-Technica AT2020 || Focusrite iTrack Solo || Q701 + DT990 Pro

The MXL looks really good, now I just have to wait on my tax return ;p , any recommendations on a shock mount, and is a pop filter really worth it? I know I said only vent/Skype/twitch but you never know what may happen in the future. I also know that others have said my audio coming over vent sounds very girlish >.> and I'm looking for a solution to eliminate that.

I have the AT2020 which is easily mountable. Has absolutely great sound quality through usb connectivity.

I also know that others have said my audio coming over vent sounds very girlish >.> and I'm looking for a solution to eliminate that.

Puberty.

Puberty.

im 27 years old ......

I use a blue yeti mounted on a mic stand - soon to be one that clips to my desk as its hard to get in/out the room with where it is, also going to get a clip on pop shield 

post-17790-0-88554100-1395178179_thumb.j

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I am a big fan of setting up my mic stand to hang from the ceiling. And set it up to swing down when I need it and lock up when I don't only downside is if you have a ceiling fan you will hear vibrations. Yeti is what I use. There is a usb and a xlr same with the at2020. Really the best bang for your buck when it comes to usb mic if you want to stay under 140$. I would show you my set up but I am moving in two days. Got it all packed up.

Can be found on my profiIe