Cheap SAS HBA

I recently came across a Seagate cheetah 15.7k 450gb HDD. However, it is using a SAS interface (image attached) I need a relatively cheap and easy way to get this drive up and running. Since my motherboard only has a SATA controller, I will need a sas HBA. Does anyone know of a good pcie sas HBA or even SATA to SAS command adapter? I don't want to spend to much money on this. But I really want to get this hard drive to work.

(Sorry if this is the wrong place for this question)

If anyone can help that would be great, thanks:)

sas.jpg

Ebay has lots of them, look for the ones with the lsi controller. Many are dell/IBM branded. Here is a example https://www.ebay.com/itm/LSI-9210-8i-6Gbps-SAS-SATA-8-Ports-HBA-PCI-E-RAID-Controller-Card-US-seller/132628492132?hash=item1ee1462f64:g:AiUAAOSwNA1a~9Wu

But with the price of the hba, you could just get a much faster 500gb ssd.

11 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Ebay has lots of them, look for the ones with the lsi controller. Many are dell/IBM branded. Here is a example https://www.ebay.com/itm/LSI-9210-8i-6Gbps-SAS-SATA-8-Ports-HBA-PCI-E-RAID-Controller-Card-US-seller/132628492132?hash=item1ee1462f64:g:AiUAAOSwNA1a~9Wu

That one looks pretty good, although the ports on it look very difficult from that is on the hard drive. Is there a convertr that can convert that into a SATA power / sas data interface?

22 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Another thing. They eBay listing says it is a raid controller. Will it still work with only one drive connected (I am not familiar with sas) 

Also, the reason that I want to do this is because I want the bragging rights of saying "my hard drive spins twice as fast as yours"

16 minutes ago, Skeledog said:

That one looks pretty good, although the ports on it look very difficult from that is on the hard drive. Is there a convertr that can convert that into a SATA power / sas data interface?

You'd need a Mini-SAS SFF-8087 to SFF-8482 cable. 

3 minutes ago, Skeledog said:

Another thing. They eBay listing says it is a raid controller. Will it still work with only one drive connected (I am not familiar with sas) 

Also, the reason that I want to do this is because I want the bragging rights of saying "my hard drive spins twice as fast as yours"

Yes, it'd work with a single HDD.

11 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

You'd need a Mini-SAS SFF-8087 to SFF-8482 cable. 

Yes, it'd work with a single HDD.

4 hours ago, Skeledog said:

Only makes sense if done purely for fun.

From practical point of view it will be slow, loud, and with its size counting in controller/cable price it will be more expensive per GB than SSD. It will also require x8/x16 slot and cause boot delay which is multiple times longer than whole boot process on modern pc. In another words - counterproductive.

That said i have a couple of 73GB SCSI 15K seagate cheetah drives in win98 pc, in raid0 on pci scsi raid controller. Just for fun. And they are about as loud as dremel at max rpm.

image.png.913a1db049986e3bb77642fea179a6a1.png

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>