Can somebody explain what is/how to play DOTA 2?

MrTomnus

I've been gaming pretty much all my life but I have never played e-sports before. I once tried to play League of Legends but it didn't go so well. I just watched the Free to Play documentary by Valve and it really got me interested in trying Dota 2 out. Trouble is, I have absolutely no idea how it works... And my understanding is that there is no practice mode? You just have to learn by playing a ranked match?

Either way, it would be really helpful to me if somebody could explain to me how a match works and how all the mechanics work too, as detailed as possible (I guess I mean something like an idiot's guide :P).

Thank you in advance :) 

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

I logged on, my brain melted, I logged off.

There is an offline mode for you to practice though.

Nothing to see here - move along.

I logged on, my brain melted, I logged off.

There is an offline mode for you to practice though.

Okay, I didn't know that. Thank you :)

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

I like to play Starcraft II better because it's less stressful....god DOTA games are just demanding as hell x3

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

I've been gaming pretty much all my life but I have never played e-sports before. I once tried to play League of Legends but it didn't go so well. I just watched the Free to Play documentary by Valve and it really got me interested in trying Dota 2 out. Trouble is, I have absolutely no idea how it works... And my understanding is that there is no practice mode? You just have to learn by playing a ranked match?

Either way, it would be really helpful to me if somebody could explain to me how a match works and how all the mechanics work too, as detailed as possible (I guess I mean something like an idiot's guide :P).

you start on this magical and wonderful place called the tutorials.

Then you practice with bots (ai)

Then you go onto casual online then you rank up and join a team.

Me and my mates formed our own team and are going to compete in the join dota 2 leauge!

If your ever lookin to practice with any one add luc401 , i currently have 450 hours in the game and id consider my self to be quite good.

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

I'd like to download the game as well, after these reviews. :D

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

• 2 weeks later...

As a 1300 hours + player dont make the same misstake as i did and go into this game solo get a friend to play because the game is barely playable solo(on eu servers)

Oh and if your gonna play eu learn russian for the optimal experince :)

The bot practice is actually really useful and I understand how it can be to much to take in just because there are like 100 characters, but practice limits you to 20 of the easy to play characters and beginners start with a "limited roster" (after about 20 matches they throw you into the deep end and put you into regular matches) so don't be too scared it's actually stupid easy. I'll explain the gameplay.

You pick a character a hero or champion so to speak these characters are either ranged or melee(I don't know how to tell by looking at there card if they are melee or ranged but after a few hours of playing you'll have put it to memory.)

Ok so now you have a ranged or melee character these characters have 3 main stats Strength, agility and intelligence

Strength - associated with HP,

Agility- associated with armour and attack speed     (very basic rpg elements)

Intelligence- associated with mana

When your character levels up these base stats go up and you level up by collecting xp. one colects xp by killing or assisting in killing opponents or by killing the endless waves of minions. (still just an Rpg stat tree)

Each champion is unique in their abilities. Most have 4 which you get to upgrade 1 per obtained level (still just a RPG) you'll have to read the character cards (I call them cards because i am reminded of a television show called chaotic but whatever) and see what each character can do. 

*Important side note- each character has a primary main stat which in addition to increasing your HP, armour, or mana with also raise your base attack. The higher your raise your Primary main stat the more basic damage you will do (basic damage is just your regular attack) this primary stat also gives you an idea of what items to buy

Speaking of item. In addition to experience you also get gold when you either get the last hit on a minion/creep or assist in or kill an opponent that gold allows you to purchase items that will boost either your strength, agility, intelegence , base damage, max health, max mana, movement speed, attack speed, or  armour. many of these items progress on a evolution tree which branch into new items when combined with other items. These later items have unique modifiers such as passive critical chance increase, passive enemy attack slow or active mass damage (there is a list of suggested items on the left side of the store which does a good job suggesting useful items for your character but after a few hours of game play you can start getting creative for example a shadow blade is a item that give you the ability to go invisible for 20some seconds and allows you to walk around, it's not suggested for tidehunter but I like to go invisible and then use my ultimate in the centre of a group fight which stuns all the enemies)

I think that's about all the basics The game is called Defense of the Ancients and that's what you do. You've got 3 lanes and each match is 5vs5. Each lane has 3 enemy towers and lead to the enemy base where sits there ancient...it's just another tower that you have to destroy. and that's it you try to destroy there tower while defending yours.

Basic strat- 2 top, 1 mid, 2 bottom, new to the game then you should take top or bottom lane because any character can do well in top or bottom but some characters make better mids than others so just leave that to who ever wants to be in the mid. Then it's just ebb and flow.

EDIT- Stratagy extended.

Things to keep in mind. Retreating to your base is a good idea, if you're low on health and mana and dont have an item to replenish them then get back to your base it will replenish you but it's also a long way to run so it's a good idea to invest early game in a pair of boots, they give you +50 movement speed which will allow you to get back faster.

Courier- this guy is very useful, he will deliver items that you buy from the store when you are defending or pushing the towers but also note that there are 3 types of shops.

The shop at your base allows you to buy most items

The secret shop which allows you to buy specalty items

and the lane shops which allow you to by a limited selection of items(these should be taken advantage of because they allow you to get the item without having to wait for the courier)

Generally useful items:

WARDS -they are sticks that you put in the ground. There are two types of wards one which when placed allows you to see what that ward can see on the mini map and the other allows you to see invisible characters in the area.

BOOTS - makes you move faster and have many evolutions, they are versitile.

Dust of appearance - when used makes invisible characters in the area visable.

Tango- allows you to heal 4 times 100 health(prompt to use and then go click on a tree) will slow regen health

Healing salve/clarity- fast regen of health and mana but regen stops when you take damage.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

As a 1300 hours + player dont make the same misstake as i did and go into this game solo get a friend to play because the game is barely playable solo(on eu servers)

Oh and if your gonna play eu learn russian for the optimal experince :)

Yep, you'll learn what cyka means pretty fast.

"An Excellent Signature"