can dynamic mics sounds slightly worse from damage or would i notice if it got damaged

Smackaroy
Go to solution Solved by Aereldor,

Sounds like a grounding problem. More likely a bad cable, maybe pin 1 on the microphone isn't connecting properly, although damaging those is almost impossible

i recently got a sm7b and i was always very careful handling it but my anxiety is worried i have broken it. the mic still sounds clean there is no hum but now my anxiety it saying it's slightly damaged so the frequency response  is slightly worse.

so my question is  can dynamic mics be slightly damaged so the frequency response is slightly worse or if they are damaged would it sound awful or have no sound at all.

hopefully my anxiety will shut up after this has been answered

I'm pretty sure if its damaged there will be a noticeable decrease in sound quality

Sounds like a grounding problem. More likely a bad cable, maybe pin 1 on the microphone isn't connecting properly, although damaging those is almost impossible

7 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

no im not saying it's damaged im saying my stupid anxiety thinks it's damaged. ok and you saying that they are almost impossible to damage has helped so thank you   

6 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

oh i meant to say "no hum" not "now hum"

7 minutes ago, Smackaroy said:

oh i meant to say "no hum" not "now hum"

Why are you even worried about this? Did you drop it? Considering that you could beat someone to death with a shure mic and it would be relatively undamaged, I can almost guarantee it's fine

6 hours ago, Aereldor said:

Why are you even worried about this? Did you drop it? Considering that you could beat someone to death with a shure mic and it would be relatively undamaged, I can almost guarantee it's fine

im not really sure i quess i just get really protective over new things i buy. ok thank you for all the help  

The OP has an SM7B which is much less durable than an SM58. I've seen SM57s and SM58s that look like they've been dragged behind a car going down the highway that still sound fine. The SM7B isn't quite as durable, but they're still pretty tough.

If you're that anxious, then it's probably psychological. We are amazingly good at tricking ourselves into thinking we're hearing something we aren't. Here's a good example:

I got an audiophile friend (who is actually pretty good at critical listening) who refuses to use any solid-state amp to RAVE about my Quested AP700, which is 100% solid-state with (gasp!) 5532 op-amps in the input circuit. How? I put my push-pull 1625 tube amp on top of it and powered it up. The speakers were being driven by the Quested.

The moral of the story is not that people can't hear the difference between a tube amp and a solid-state amp- I certainly can and I'm not the only one. The point is that our auditory memory isn't as good as we like to think.