Power supply recommendation - 850w sufficient or get 1000w?

grck

I am upgrading my PCs power supply to support some hobby mining additions, and would like confirmation on whether an 850w PSU will be sufficient, or if I should get a 1000w PSU. I am hoping the 850w will work as there is a small form factor 850w PSU that I would like to use over a larger 1000w one.

I have referenced this OuterVision power consumption calculator with my following build:

9700k running stock <4.9ghz, <1.2v

2x 16GB DDR4 modules

1x M.2 NVMe SSD

3x SATA 7.2k RPM HDDs

6x 120mm fans

I will be running a GigaByte GC-TITAN RIDGE ThunderBolt PCIE card to allow for an eGPU running on its own power supply to be connected to the PC. I do not believe this connection will take up much power, however I have added the most power hungry PCIE card to the above calculator - an SCSI RAID Controller Card (27w) - just as a buffer in case this will draw more system power than I imagine. I have also added a few USB 3.0 devices as a buffer - I use a powered USB hub for my devices so there shouldn't be any actual system power draw from these.

With 90% CPU utilization and 24/7 computer and GPU utilization time - and with my above overestimates to avoid any potential issues - the calculator recommends as 350w PSU:

image.png.f146228714f61458c02dcd4582d8de87.png

I will be running 3x 2070 RTX GPUs off system power that will draw ≤ 150w watts each with their clocking.

So, with the calculator totals, including buffer additions, and my actual GPU power draw, an 800w PSU would seemingly be sufficient, and the 850w power supply I hope to use should work without any issues.

Is there anything I have missed in my calculations/should I get a 1000w PSU to be safe? I am naïve when it comes to power consumption as I have never really had to consider power usage as part of a build before, so any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Depends on the rating, since you are only getting around 6% above maximum usage, you should get 1000W if you will run all components at 100% to allow for future upgrades and maximum future performance, only do this if the budget allows it.

16 minutes ago, Iphone5cisthebest said:

Depends on the rating, since you are only getting around 6% above maximum usage, you should get 1000W if you will run all components at 100% to allow for future upgrades and maximum future performance, only do this if the budget allows it.

Thanks - the 850w PSU I would like to go with is 80 plus gold (if that's the rating you refer to) - a Gigabyte P850GM.

With my '800w' calculations above, that is with the GPUs running at 100% and the CPU at 90%. I don't think I would ever upgrade beyond this, and the smaller form factor of the 850w is preferred. Price is also about double for a 1000W which is also a bit of a factor, but stability trumps all...

From the sounds of it, the 850W should be work well then, and 1000W would only be more useful as futureproofing?

5 hours ago, grck said:

Thanks - the 850w PSU I would like to go with is 80 plus gold (if that's the rating you refer to) - a Gigabyte P850GM.

With my '800w' calculations above, that is with the GPUs running at 100% and the CPU at 90%. I don't think I would ever upgrade beyond this, and the smaller form factor of the 850w is preferred. Price is also about double for a 1000W which is also a bit of a factor, but stability trumps all...

From the sounds of it, the 850W should be work well then, and 1000W would only be more useful as futureproofing?

Yes, the 850W should work fully, unless you want to futureproof.

5 hours ago, Iphone5cisthebest said:

Yes, the 850W should work fully, unless you want to futureproof.

Great, thank you! I will go ahead with the 850w.