Gigabyte GP-PGM - Issues, issues, issues

LukeSavenije

TL;DR

Gigabyte is refusing to support a product they know to be problematic. This is as of the time of writing still in production with the same components. We haven't asked Gigabyte for a public statement.

Most likely problem - Main FETs

To start, a quote from Aristeidis Mpitziopoulos', which in this article will be referred to as Aris, review on Techpowerup about this very unit below.

Jilin Sino-Microelectronics provides the main FETs, and as you can see, they didn't survive my tests. They died in a glorified way, making one of the loudest bangs I have ever heard.

source: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/gigabyte-gp-p750gm-750-w/

This is something alarming on it's own already. The main FETs on the power supply explode after having handled a heavy load. They didn't fail during the actual OPP/OCP testing itself, but a few minutes after when the unit was turned on again. But this is sadly only the component that seems to cause most of this issues...

Gigabyte handling this finding - we tested it and it's fine

From here, Aris attempted to send his findings to Gigabyte. They chose to not recall the unit they sent him and tested around 10 units internally in their RMA division. From here, no issues were found and this was reported back to Aris. This is in every way a flawed way of testing. More about this can be found in the video here:

Gigabyte handling it's consumers - refusing support

Gigabyte has had many reviews on sites like NewEgg that claim DOA units, extreme coilwhine, killed components and much more. Normally I'm not one to react off consumer reviews because of their flawed nature, but when almost a majority of users has failures and there's a ground of suspicion what is the problem it becomes a different story. A few quotes below

Cons: Dead on arrival

Overall Review: Heard a lot of bad things about this PSU, and I can see why. Opened mine and tested it, wouldn't even turn on. I only got this because of the 3070 combo deal and figured I would give it a shot in my build but I'm glad I tested it first before frying all of my components. My advice is to avoid this one and go for a more reliable unit.

Overall Review: -100% do not recommend, if you value your PC -Connected my RGB fan controller hub to the Gigabyte PSU, just like I had with my Corsair PSU via 6-pin to SATA connector. My Corsair PSU hadn't given me this issue. As soon as I powered up my computer I head popping, noticed a burning plastic smell, I believe I saw a spark, and all 6 of my RGB fans connected to the stopped working. Turned it off to discover that the fans were the source of the burning, and the fan controller hub was no longer responsive to the remote that came with it.

Cons: power supply was dead on arrival and was sold as a combo item so now I can not get a refund for the defective power supply.

Overall Review: Don't buy this power supply.

Cons: Came completely dead. Tested it by running a wire from green to black and also while fully plugged into system. Both times it makes a click with a weak fan spin and then immediately stops.

Overall Review: I bought this with a bundle with a 3070 and this is just wrong. They shouldn't sell massively broken products to consumers.

Overall Review: I just received this power supply as part of an RTX 3070 combo. Merely loading a game like Cyberpunk causes the power supply to click and crash my system. It happens every single time.

Cons: Loud Died after a month

Overall Review: Very loud, woke up one morning to find my computer not turning on, turns out the psu died I'm just thankful that it didn't fry any of my other parts in the process. There's a reason they made you buy these in the 30 series bundles because they're worthless

Cons: The coil whine is extremely loud.

Overall Review: Too loud to use.

Cons: Put together my whole build and when I powered it on all I got was a single click from the PSU. After hours of troubleshooting, I picked up a Corsair PSU, swapped it in and the system came to life. Luckily, it didn't damage any of my components. Now I'm stuck with a broken PSU because it can only be returned if I give up the whole bundle. They really need to take this product off the market.

Overall Review: So I was another 3070 combo victim. But decided to go along with it since I was building a 2nd PC for the family as I built my new gaming rig. 750W was overkill but needed some sort of PSU. Unit was nice enough, worked fine for a few hours then I heard this deafening whine coming from the unit. In all my years of PC building (always used Corsair PSUs) never heard that sound. So I shut everything down and did some research. Found some tips that may make it go away, so I let the PC run doing some medium load bench marking to see if it would work itself out. The noise did go away here and there but would always return. Sadly need to remove unit from the build and return it as Gigabyte customer service is near useless. After getting a scratched 3070 (That gigabyte support to me to just return it, ha yeah right!) and now this defective PSU, I've avoided gigabyte in the past but definitely will do so in the future. So many other vendors that have quality customer service.

Cons: When testing out the power supply, it was dead on arrival and would not turn on. When calling the customer service of the power supply, they told me to contact Newegg and see if they could replace the product. I am very confused with who to contact about this power supply and why it was dead on arrival.

Overall Review: I would not recommend this product until I receive a replacement to test it.

Cons: - Cables not labelled - Deafening coil whine

Overall Review: - Have to take the loss because NewEgg won't refund me or replace it with another model since I bought it in a bundle. My only option is to receive the exact same PSU which will probably either be DOA or have the similar coil whine issue based on other reviews.

Overall Review: I was trying to turn my dell Optiplex 7020 into a sleeper build, everything went well until I turned on the PSU. Heard a loud spark so I checked everything. My GPU (Strix 2060) and everything still works as I am writing this, but my boot SSD died with the spark. As much as this PSU is getting I would not recommend this and if you were the person who bought a 3070 combo with this do not use the PSU.

Cons: Does NOT provide enough juice for a RTX3070. Had a bunch of crashes and spent a whole day diagnosing what may be wrong. Initially I thought it was the card however I decided to listen to the reviews on here, even though most had a DOA unit mine seemed to work except the card was crashing a few minutes into games. It is not strong enough to power the card it was bundled with and I am stuck since I cannot return this. NEWEGG will not take returns on this package.

Overall Review: Replaced with a Corsair unit that the instability so far has gone away. Cables on the Corsair are also much beefier than they are on this one.

These are a few of the more elaborate reviews. As of the time of writing, 142 out of the 242 reviews on the PSU are 1 star or "egg", all coming down to either extreme coil whine, system instability or the unit dying with no way of returning it without including the 3000 series card they bought it with. Even if it's understandable that Newegg/Gigabyte doesn't want a scalper to buy this and attempt to return the PSU, with a genuine failure this is an outright stupid thing to do.

Source: https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-gp-p750gm-750w/p/N82E16817233029?Description=gigabyte psu&cm_re=gigabyte_psu-_-17-233-029-_-Product

What now? - Forced recall and public apology

Honestly, the best thing Gigabyte can do right now is putting on a forced recall on the unit. There are no exact numbers out there on the actual failure rate of the unit, but this isn't down to an early production sample unit or the occasional "lemon" you get with mass production. This is a widespread issue that can only be solved by using different parts in the PSU. They can either choose to take it off the market, issue a full recall and give people their money back, or introduce a revision/newer version of the product with higher end FETs from for example Infineon, with likely also a lower OCP/OPP setting.

7 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Overall Review: -100% do not recommend, if you value your PC -Connected my RGB fan controller hub to the Gigabyte PSU, just like I had with my Corsair PSU via 6-pin to SATA connector. My Corsair PSU hadn't given me this issue. As soon as I powered up my computer I head popping, noticed a burning plastic smell, I believe I saw a spark, and all 6 of my RGB fans connected to the stopped working. Turned it off to discover that the fans were the source of the burning, and the fan controller hub was no longer responsive to the remote that came with it.

(I'm not going to nest quotes...)

Not that I'm defending what seems to be a horrible product/customer service, but this specific review sounds more like they reused the existing (incompatible) modular cables than it failing the way the rest describe.

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB / Seagate 1.5TB HDD | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

1 minute ago, AbydosOne said:

Not that I'm defending what seems to be a horrible product/customer service, but this specific review sounds more like they reused the existing (incompatible) modular cables than it failing the way the rest describe.

Agree.

Unfortunately, this is a common occurrence.  😞

9 minutes ago, AbydosOne said:

oh, of course some of these can be caused by different issues

it's just that I took some out that were longer than "DOA" or alike. It's to give a view of the general picture

15 minutes ago, Narmonteam said:

BuT It'S 80+ GoLd RaTeD

But gold is an implification of quality lol

I dug up my very old account just to help contribute to the thread.

We already have a burning case, we don't really need a burning PSU (however common that maybe for worse group-reg units). This is especially sinister because it was not exactly advertised as a cheap, low-cost unit.

I lurk in the background.

I've had to tell a lot of people in a gpu-hunting discord that I'm active in to throw it out, since it seems that all of the Newegg drops bundle the P-GM in.