Citra Android Replacement

Ataxion

So I have wanted to emulate 3ds games for a while and yesterday I did a quick search for best 3ds emulators for android and the one that appeared in most websites was citra emulator. I downloaded citra emulator even though it works fine sometimes it crashes or becomes really laggy and unplayable is there another emulator that has better performance and stability for android?

Some guy interested in tech

Afaik there isn't any alternative to Citra, at least on mobile. 3DS emulation is in its earlier stages. Right now you just have to take what you can get. The mobile version of Citra I believe is also pretty new, so it might not run as smoothly as the desktop version.

Semi-related: If you want to emulate regular DS games, I highly recommend paying for DraStic. It's much more optimized than the other options out there. I couldn't get DS games to run smoothly on my phone with anything else, but DraStic works perfectly without even having to mess with settings. Well worth the $5 for DS emulation.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

There are two versions of Citra for Android. The official version on Google play and the Citra website, and the MMJ version, which can be downloaded from Github here:

https://github.com/weihuoya/citra/releases

There is a project that I was hoping to start once I learned a little more about programming. The 3ds is one of five handheld gaming consoles that use ARM SOCs, so theoretically a program like Wine or Cider can be created to enable other ARM based operating systems like Android to run 3ds games.

Unlike an emulator, the compatibility layer used in programs like Wine and Cider translates the code of the program into code that the native operating system can understand. This enables you to use the full resources available on your device. An emulator by comparison reserves your device's resources in an attempt to virtually recreate the original hardware. Since even low-end android phones on the market today have more resources than the 3ds, theoretically any of them could run 3ds games equal or better than the original hardware.

The biggest bottleneck I've had on my android phone is the Operating System. My LG G8, running the vanilla Android 10 os, consumes about 70% of my 6GB of RAM, and that's from a fresh startup without any apps running. Android is an oncredibly bloated operating System. Any apps that you can disable or delete that are running in the background will improve the resources you have that can be put to running games. If you're warranty has expired and you have enough technical know-how to root your phone and install a custom rom, that may also help to improve your gaming performance.

The other four consoles that use ARM is the gameboy advance, the Nintendo DS, the Playstation Vita, and the Nintendo Switch.

On 2/21/2021 at 6:47 PM, Dragonwinged said:

There are two versions of Citra for Android. The official version on Google play and the Citra website, and the MMJ version, which can be downloaded from Github here:

https://github.com/weihuoya/citra/releases

There is a project that I was hoping to start once I learned a little more about programming. The 3ds is one of five handheld gaming consoles that use ARM SOCs, so theoretically a program like Wine or Cider can be created to enable other ARM based operating systems like Android to run 3ds games.

Unlike an emulator, the compatibility layer used in programs like Wine and Cider translates the code of the program into code that the native operating system can understand. This enables you to use the full resources available on your device. An emulator by comparison reserves your device's resources in an attempt to virtually recreate the original hardware. Since even low-end android phones on the market today have more resources than the 3ds, theoretically any of them could run 3ds games equal or better than the original hardware.

The biggest bottleneck I've had on my android phone is the Operating System. My LG G8, running the vanilla Android 10 os, consumes about 70% of my 6GB of RAM, and that's from a fresh startup without any apps running. Android is an oncredibly bloated operating System. Any apps that you can disable or delete that are running in the background will improve the resources you have that can be put to running games. If you're warranty has expired and you have enough technical know-how to root your phone and install a custom rom, that may also help to improve your gaming performance.

The other four consoles that use ARM is the gameboy advance, the Nintendo DS, the Playstation Vita, and the Nintendo Switch.

I would love to see a l=solution like that and I hope you do it soon

Some guy interested in tech