Why don’t they make a low profile gpu with a powerful mobile GPU?

thepoorgamer

Realistically I don't think you're going to get something much more powerful than a 1650 Super at this point, without additional power.

About the only thing adding RTX cores would get you, would be RTX for Screenshots.  The 2060 can't run games with RTX enabled, it just doens't have the power.  

You can't rewrite physics to get something you would like, currently.

12 hours ago, porina said:

If anyone has an Ampere card

So I undervolted my card a little, it's harder than I thought to find the right balance - especially because I had Shadowplay running also - which I've noticed later makes the card boost like crazy even with the undervolt... 

However once I turned this off things got a bit more straight forward.

The lowest (roughly) I got was 0.756v , at 80% usage, 1400mhz 'boost', 50C, 1440p, 60fps... I didn't have gpuz running otherwise I would probably know the max wattage (although that's not necessarily representative, due to spikes and whatnot) 

But can't you or someone else do the math now - 756mv/ wattage ?

that's barely above idle voltage btw, and I had memory at +500 also. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

31 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

But can't you or someone else do the math now - 756mv/ wattage ?. 

Too many variables, which either need observing or prior knowledge.

I think I'll have a go on Turing for illustration. Spreadsheet on standby! At most I'd extrapolate within a generation. I would not want to try extrapolating between different generations.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, porina said:

Too many variables, which either need observing or prior knowledge.

I think I'll have a go on Turing for illustration. Spreadsheet on standby! At most I'd extrapolate within a generation. I would not want to try extrapolating between different generations.

yeah i thought so, well idk I thought maybe voltage would be enough. 

but yeah Im trying with gpuz now but I'm already seeing despite 'undervoltage' it already spiked once to 800mv... so that's something you'd need the card to not do anymore for a start, that'd probably fry any pcie slot - but yeah I believe with this setting it should be roughly 150-170w "board power draw" (of course it's not a mobile card, so) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

so for the record with undervolt @ ~700-800mv board power draw is around 120-165w... at no noticeable performance cost in my testing scenario. 

which is pretty low but not 75w low... I still think at some point its not worth it anymore and not a 3070 anymore either ... but I think a low power ampere 'mini' could probably be done (at what performance is still the question) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Did some testing but didn't have as much adjustment range as I thought I might have so it will be limited in scope.

System is 2070 +8086k (turbo off). I adjusted the power limit on the 2070 and observed the changes to performance and power draw. Test Unigene Heaven, 1080p extreme, manually moved view in front of the dragon statue and left there so it was consistent. I left the test running for a bit after making a change as thermals do impact performance also. Only then I took an average.

Main settings I'll describe will be: stock (100%), max power limit (114%), min power limit (71%), and min power limit + mem speed reduced as far as I can in MSI afterburner (-502).

Increasing the power limit from 100% to 114% increased board power from 173W to 189W (+9%), with no change to fps at 83 for both. GPU clock hardly changed from 1785 to 1800. Mem clock didn't budge. Basically it just makes the card angrier without getting anywhere.

Reducing power limit to minimum of 71% (compared to 100%) did make a difference. Board power went down to 124W (-28%) with fps drop to 76 (-8%). Core clock was now 1637 (-8%) which matches the fps drop.

At 71% power limit, reducing the ram clocks didn't change board power for overall fps in this example. Ram clock dropped from 1700 to 1575 (-7%). Whatever savings were present from reducing ram speed went into increasing core power which increased fractionally from 1637 to 1647. Reported memory power difference was within 1-2W so I'm not confident in calling this significant. Also, if you add the reported vram powers to the core power, the number significantly exceeds the reported board power. So something isn't correct there. If you add up the reported PCIe slot and power connector powers together, it does equal the total board power within tolerance. So I'd take the core/vram power values to be less trustworthy without understanding them better.

I also noted the reported memory power usage in these and other usage scenarios. The power usage of vram did reduce slightly as I reduced the power limit, but I'm hesitant to reach a conclusion here as there wasn't a strong effect.

Given the above I'm not confident in extrapolating how low you might have to go to get anywhere near 75W TBP. We clearly see the cards running into the less efficient zone under normal operating conditions, given that a 28% reduction in power limit only resulted in a 8% drop in fps, at least for this particular test scenario. How much further that curve goes I can't test far enough down to find out. I'm sure I had other nvidia GPUs which allowed much lower power limit than the 71% of this particular sample.

Just thought, I probably should have done some observation to eliminate the possibility of CPU limiting... will get back on that.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

23 minutes ago, porina said:

Just thought, I probably should have done some observation to eliminate the possibility of CPU limiting... will get back on that.

Well you also should try a custom voltage / frequency curve because that reduces power draw significantly compared to just setting a power limit in my testing... 

I kinda think keeping the voltage low is key here, but seeing im almost at idle voltage already idk how much further it can go. 🤔

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

35 minutes ago, porina said:

Just quickly re-ran it partially. Total CPU usage was 9%, which is equivalent to just over one thread. Per thread activity on the system, I saw three threads on separate cores with anything above baseline activity, none of which were hitting max. So, this would not seem to be CPU limited in any obvious way.

14 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Well you also should try a custom voltage / frequency curve because that reduces power draw significantly compared to just setting a power limit in my testing... 

I kinda think keeping the voltage low is key here, but seeing im almost at idle voltage already idk how much further it can go. 🤔

I agree that would reduce power, but I also consider that outside the scope of my test. There is some voltage/frequency curve already programmed into the card. It would be very time consuming to adjust that curve, and even then I consider it like an overclocked condition. What works for my specific sample might not work on any other. No one in mass production would tune it that close to the limit. We might see the shipped voltage as higher than needed at times, but that is to help cover for the case the product should be stable with any load you throw at it, and not just pick one or two to test with. If the GPU might be binned for better power efficiency, that would be a plus too, but again outside of what I can test at home.

-> Moved to Graphics Cards

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Even if you coulden’t do 75 w, 120w would give you a lot of options such as using sata to pcie power adapters, like with the “this is a gaming pc?” video. That would be a more realistic optIon where you could extract a lot more performance while still being able to upgrade a prebuilt. 

My primary system: Core I7 10700k, 32 gb Trident Z RGB ram@3200mhz, EVGA GTX 970 SSC (will upgrade), NZXT N7 Z490 motherboard (Black), Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB SSD, NZXT C850 PSU, Hyper 212 EVO cooler (getting new water cooler soon), NZXT H510i case. 

My secondary system: Core I7 4820k, 16 gb quad channel 1600mhz ram, GTX 780 reference, Asus PX79LE, SK Hynix GOLD s31 500gb SSD, some 10 yr old Cooler Master 750w psu, Hyper 212, old Cooler Master case.

Laptop: Lenovo l380 yoga I5 8250u, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd storage)