Good IPS monitor for graphic design & illustration.

I need an idea on the good monitor for my budget. I'm on a serious budget for this, I almost fell for a VA panel at 1080p.

But from all I've read from different threads online is disputing the idea of going for a VA monitor. IPS 1440p!!!

My budget may sound funny it's $100 - $170.

Please any helps

50 minutes ago, PhoenixDAS said:

I need an idea on the good monitor for my budget. I'm on a serious budget for this, I almost fell for a VA panel at 1080p.

But from all I've read from different threads online is disputing the idea of going for a VA monitor. IPS 1440p!!!

Please any helps

It's less of the monitor, and more of the hardware calibration tool (if you are serious about your work, anyway)

https://www.creativebloq.com/features/best-monitor-calibrator

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

On 2/15/2021 at 5:43 AM, Radium_Angel said:

It's less of the monitor, and more of the hardware calibration tool (if you are serious about your work, anyway)

https://www.creativebloq.com/features/best-monitor-calibrator

Awesome thanks...

I understand what you meant by being serious but I am on a budget. I would love to buy high end tools for work. 

From what you are saying, you never speak on the screen resolution. Are you disputing the fact that going after a 2k monitor doesn't matter so much?

4 hours ago, PhoenixDAS said:

From what you are saying, you never speak on the screen resolution. Are you disputing the fact that going after a 2k monitor doesn't matter so much?

Right tool for the right job. For example, if you are editing 4k video, you shouldn't be doing that on a 720p monitor.

The only statement I was making was being able to calibrate the monitor is more important than raw specs, assuming you buy a quality monitor to being with. Other than that I have no opinion,

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

On 2/15/2021 at 12:51 AM, PhoenixDAS said:

Please any helps

Well for that budget you dont have many choises to begin with honestly...I'm currently looking for an IPS 2k (decent srgb reproduction) monitor myself, with a $200 budget and all I could find is:

Lenovo L24q-30 for $164 (there are also a lot of variants for this one P24h-10, T24i-10, etc.

This one looks great on paper but havnt been able to  find many reviews so far.

DELL P2416D for $140 (refubrished).

This is an awsome monitor, love Dell panels and stand. Not a fan of huge bezels but for the price...

The only reason I havnt bought this one, I'm a bit worried about buying a used monitor from 2015, not sure how IPS monitors age honestly.

On a side note about the calibration, I cant afford calibration equipment (and even if I could it would be a waste) but here we have calibration services, you can hire a guy who has the hardware to come and calibrate your monitors for like $15/20 per monitor. In my company this is done yearly.

Hope it helps

It really doesnt matter what u get, for that budget not only will it not be great, it wont be calibrated.

ur better of using what ever display u have now, and spend that money on a calibrator.

Your current monitor, no matter how poor, once calibrated to under a delta e of 2,  will be better than an uncalibrated monitor even if that monitor has 20% higher color gamut coverage.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Are you a beginner? If so, then getting yourself a budget monitor to start out with until you get deeper into the craft is perfectly fine. When I was just starting out with photography, I used a cheap budget monitor for a year until I upgraded to an Asus Designo a year later. Nothing we do in the first year is going to be scrutinized like our later work anyway, so first year stuff can be rough around the edges and it's ok.

If you've been doing this for a while, then I would advise you to stick with what you have and wait to save up about $400 for a real design monitor. 

Is color accuracy vital? If so, then you want as close to 100% SRGB as possible, and monitors in that price range typically don't advertise their color accuracy so you need to dig deep in the specs. Most monitors don't actually advertise it unless it's a specialty monitor because most consumers don't understand the RGB color space, and they're more interested in refresh rate and brightness.

Also, contrast ratio is a meaningless number because it's not standardized, so pay no attention to that when shopping. 

I have a good one here that seem to fit for you. It has 99% sRGB reproduction, although it might not be as vibrant as a more expensive model, but for $170 you're getting a good value and price/performance. (Update, I have another one below. Dell is known for good displays)

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/monitors/home/L24q-30A19238QL023-8inch-Monitor-HDMI/p/65FBGCC1US?cid=us:sem|se|google|ca+smart+shopping+accessories+non-intel|gs_accessories||65FBGCC1US|12111973117|115095911503|pla-1139772220953|shopping|brand&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItI_Vy6307gIVIz2tBh1Kvw8VEAQYAiABEgKHhPD_BwE

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1222870-REG/dell_u2417h_24_16_9_ips.html?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItI_Vy6307gIVIz2tBh1Kvw8VEAQYAyABEgLKlPD_BwE

Photographer, future counselor, computer teacher.

3600X and RTX 2070 with too many storage drives to count. 

Wow thanks alot guys. 

I finally settled for Lenovo T24i-10. I will be expecting it tomorrow. Then I will be looking forward on how to get a device for calibration. In my country not much people has a deeper understanding in colours parts from Pros even within them they are not concerned about calibration because it's few people that understands if the colour is not right. But anyway I will get the device if I get money.

thanks again guys.