IMPORTANT PSA FOR WRAITH PRISM USERS

twin

Hello everyone, I just had one of my 3600Mhz GSkill TridentZ Neo 32gb sticks die on me, and go figure, it's the one closest to the Wraith Prism cooler perched stop my very hot 3900x that sees sustained loads during long compiles. Yes, I shouldn't be running a stock cooler for this use case, and I learned my lesson. However, I do think the Wraith cooler suffers from a borderline negligent design that ends up exhausting half the CPU heat directly over the RAM sticks in most use cases. RAM was running the DOCP profile at 3600Mhz and there is no doubt in my mind that it was baked alive. This is probably something anybody using the stock coolers should consider, and I recommend anyone using them to immediately power down and buy a different cooler. Linus should maybe even do a video on it, as there's a lot of people using the stock coolers.

ASUS Pro WS X570-ACE 

Ryzen 9 3900X

ASUS Geforce GTX 1080 STRIX

2X 32Gb 3600 Mhz GSkill TridentZ Neo 

Phanteks P400A case

9 hours ago, twin said:

However, I do think the Wraith cooler suffers from a borderline negligent design that ends up exhausting half the CPU heat directly over the RAM sticks in most use cases. RAM was running the DOCP profile at 3600Mhz and there is no doubt in my mind that it was baked alive

To believe is not to prove. Do you have any data (i.e. from HWInfo64 or similar programs) that demonstrate a severe raise in temperatures on the DIMM modules? 

Whatever it is you're doing, I'd expec tthe 3900X to overheat before the cooler could actually transfer enough heat over the air to the DIMM modules for those to overheat and take damage. JEDEC defines regular operating temps of memory modules to be <=85°C. Up to 95°C operation at half refresh rates is safely possible. Beyond that there is significant risk of damage. However, in order to heat up the chips to beyond 95°C you'd definitely need air that is hotter than that hitting the modules and that would mean CPU temps WELL BEYOND 100°C.

So without any solid data to make your case I very much doubt that the Wraith cooler has anything to do with your failed memory and the fact that the module closest to the cooler died is most likely pure coincidence.

P.S.: the JEDEC specs obviously do not say anything about stability of faster than spec memory. Instability and errors however do not mean damage.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!