SSD for Games only

iCoNrant

I'm buying a 2 Tb ssd for game 

Should I go for a normal ssd like crucial p1 or high end drive like 970 evo plus? 

1 minute ago, Euchre said:

What kind of drive is the main one on your system now?

Sx8200 Pro 1Tb boot plus some games in there

Might as well buy large and cheap sata ssd, there will not be much difference for games. Just avoid dramless and qlc.

1 minute ago, Archer42 said:

Might as well buy large and cheap sata ssd, there will not be much difference for games. Just avoid dramless and qlc.

I have 4 m.2 slot on my motherboard so I need to fill it

18 minutes ago, iCoNrant said:

You don't need to fill it all. You still have empty sata ports.

2TB Nvme is expensive, for the same money you can get 8TB HDD.

If 1 game is 100GB you can only fit up to 20 games, while with 8TB it's 80 games (who needs that many).

The only difference is the loading time which about 1.5x more, in gameplay it's the same.

Totally not worth it, but hey it's your money.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

25 minutes ago, Archer42 said:

23 minutes ago, iCoNrant said:

Does not follow.  You don’t NEED to.  You can of course.   If you’ve got 4 slots there’s a really good chance some of them run through the chipset.   The issue right now is there just isn’t much currently that benefits from NVME over SATAIII in most smaller time use cases.  This may change, but SSDs are also getting faster all the time.  There’s an argument for just waiting.  That said an NVME drive should also be cheaper than a SATA SSD since there’s less to it.  Buying what is cheapest makes some sense, and perhaps leave at least one non chipset NVME slot open in case super high speed actually becomes useful.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

The motherboard support 4 m.2 slot. 

3 are pcie 4x4 from the cpu and 1 is pcie 3 from the chipset (this is the one my sx8200 pro is in) 

Just get a 2tb sata ssd. Wouldn't bother with nvme unless you could get a decent drive for like $30 more. Not much point to paying a premium to get nvme for gaming right now. Something like a wd blue, mx500, samsung 860 would do fine.

https://www.techspot.com/review/2116-storage-speed-game-loading/

Edit: The nvme ssd you have (in 2tb) can be bought for $210 right now on amazon. I'd just go for it unless there are sub $200 sata ssds on sale right now

https://www.amazon.com/XPG-SX8200-Gen3x4-3000MB-ASX8200PNP-1TT-C/dp/B07TY2TN64?th=1

7 hours ago, iCoNrant said:

The motherboard support 4 m.2 slot. 

3 are pcie 4x4 from the cpu and 1 is pcie 3 from the chipset (this is the one my sx8200 pro is in) 

Thats 12 pcie lanes just for Nvme.  How many lanes to the gpu?  Has to be less than 16

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Thats 12 pcie lanes just for Nvme.  How many lanes to the gpu?  Has to be less than 16

if I add ssd to the second and third m.2 slot , the pcie lane for the gpu will be at x8 gen 4