Premiere Pro Performance Issues with Freesync

RobV1306

Is anyone else getting serious issues with Premiere Pro (and other Adobe programs) when running with freesync (or G-Sync) on?

I have an issue that when I leave it on and try to play something back, it chugs super super hard. The audio is fine but the video looks like I'm trying to playback 8K footage on a celeron. Anyone else have this issue? And more to the point, anyone find a way around it?

For reference, here's my specs:

Intel i7-9700k

Nvidia 2070 Super Founders

32GB RAM @ 3200MHz

500GB WD Black NVMe boot drive

1TB WD Blue NVMe game drive

AOC 21:9 144Hz Monitor

All suggestions and help appreciated.

FYI, I already use the workaround of turning Freesync off and on on the monitor, which does work but is super annoying, hence why I'm looking for a fix rather than a workaround.

Hey Dan,

Yeah, I tried that. No change from deleting the cache. Also no change when reducing the quality all the way down to 1/8. And yeah, I'm running the latest version of the drivers (461.40).

Any other thoughts?

Cheers!

Rob

Does that happen in all projects or is it a specific project?

I am really not sure if Freesync is to blame as I have a 2080 Super on a Asus TUF with Freesync On and I am seeing no  issues in Pr or PS

May be project realted, it really depends on what you have on the project (resolution of footage, FPS, Effects, color corrections etc etc)

You can test creating a new project from scratch, just dump a small video into it, if possible in MP4 format and not made on a iPhone (I had issues with footage from iPhones due to variable FPS, had to pass them through Handbrake)

If on a new project all seems OK, test creating a new balk project and import the affected project into the new one.

Also, are you on latest version of Pr?

When did you first noticed this issue?
If it was after updating Pr, revert to previous version (14.7) and test it.

Let me know how it goes.

Nope. It's all projects. New or old, no matter the footage. I've even loaded projects from before I changed my monitor which I know worked perfectly (admittedly not on a Freesync monitor) and they do it too.

Yeah, I'm on the latest version.

I noticed the issue first when I changed my monitor out. At first, I thought it was a driver issue or a bug with an update etc but eventually I've narrowed it down to the monitor change. It's odd though because it is fixed from the second I turn adaptive sync off on my monitor. I don't do anything in software. All I do is go into the menu on my display, turn it off and it works flawlessly. Very odd.

Any more ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

very odd indeed, if you can, test with a different cable.
I always used the same HDMI cable and suddenly started getting some flickering on occasion, swapped the cable issue resolved.

Been testing Premiere with Freesync on and off and all seems OK, but may depend on the resolution you are using, I am using 2560 x 1440 on a 32" inch Asus TUF