RDP without locking host?

TimTam :P

Hey everyone,

This might sound a bit stupid but I'm relatively new to using RDP so forgive me if I make your brain hurt a bit. So I've only recently become aware of the Pen Remoting feature added to RDP with windows 10. This is a really great addition imo as it can potentially allow me to use pen input on my desktop through my much weaker toshiba laptops wacom panel as I use the Adobe suite quite heavily in my work. However it will be way more convenient if I could use RDP without locking the host so my laptop can essentially work as an additional monitor. Does anyone know a method of achieving this?

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately that's just how RDP works. I don't have any experience with using remote pen input through it, but you could give Parsec a try. It's designed for game streaming, but I use it more often than not to use my desktop from other machines. It doesn't lock the remote PC; instead, it streams the main display to the client device similar to VNC. 

Here's the link to Parsec: https://parsec.app/

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

You can only have one active session on the workstation versions of windows (Basically, not Windows Server). This includes both local and RDP sessions, so if even if you RDP'd with a different account, it would lock out the local session. 

You can have multiple sessions with Windows Server, but some applications, drivers and such don't work fully or at all with Windows Server due to missing or different features.

This is a limit of windows 10. Windows server supports 2 sessions at once(2 rdp or 1 local and 1 rdp). Or you can get a rd host for basically unlmited sessions