help ! 6+2 pin + 8 pin

Noob4life

Hello. Such a noob. And poorly written. Sorry!

I have 1 problem that annoys me. I have a 6+2 CONNECTED with a 8 pin. So one of the pins is just hanging in the box. I see almost every build just have 1 sleek looking cable into the gpu. Where I have a hanging one.

I upgraded my gpu where my old gtx960 used the 8 pin and now I have a 1660 gtx and it did not work with the 8 pin but works with the 6+2 pin. So I am wondering. Can I just buy a 6+2 pin only cable so I dont also have a 8 pin hanging in my pc? It does not look good at all. 

And how did my 8 pin not give enough power when 6+2 works?  I got an nzxt 1000 psu. But yes the 6+2 - 8 pin cable annoys me

Can put pictures up tomorrow. But I hope you understand!

You're right.  This is poorly written.

I think what you're saying is you have a PCIe cable with two PCIe connectors on it, but your graphics card only uses one, so you have a spare on just hanging off the cable and you don't like the way that looks.  Right?

First off, don't use the connector at the end of the cable.  Usually, it's pretty easy to hide the second connector.  You use the FIRST connector on the graphics card, then zip-tie the second one back to the first one.  99% of the time, you can't see the second connector when you do this.

Alternatively, yes.  You can often buy a one to one PCIe cable for your PSU, but there is no "universal cable".  If you have a Seasonic PSU, you need a Seasonic cable.  If you have a Corsair PSU, you need a Corsair cable, etc.

51 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

You're right.  This is poorly written.

I think what you're saying is you have a PCIe cable with two PCIe connectors on it, but your graphics card only uses one, so you have a spare on just hanging off the cable and you don't like the way that looks.  Right?

First off, don't use the connector at the end of the cable.  Usually, it's pretty easy to hide the second connector.  You use the FIRST connector on the graphics card, then zip-tie the second one back to the first one.  99% of the time, you can't see the second connector when you do this.

Alternatively, yes.  You can often buy a one to one PCIe cable for your PSU, but there is no "universal cable".  If you have a Seasonic PSU, you need a Seasonic cable.  If you have a Corsair PSU, you need a Corsair cable, etc.

Thanks! it just annoys me. Some1 pc store build it for me because im a newb... But I guess I want something like this where i can almost hide the whole 8 pin. Because the one i got is the same but the 2 pcie is waaaay shorter.  So cannot hide it unless i get something like on the picture. 

20210212_215050.jpg

42 minutes ago, Noob4life said:

Thanks! it just annoys me. Some1 pc store build it for me because im a newb...

Sounds like they're a noob too.

Can you post a picture of the cable as it plugs into your graphics card?

You could add an 8 Pin extension cable like this on to one of the 8 pin connectors and then hide the extra connector somewhere else in the case.

na-8pin-pcie-extension-ss-large.jpg

1 hour ago, --SID-- said:

Do you have the NZXT Hale 90 or Hale 90 V2?

Hale 90

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Sounds like they're a noob too.

Can you post a picture of the cable as it plugs into your graphics card?

20210213_000302.jpg

2 minutes ago, XsBigBoi said:

You could add an 8 Pin extension cable like this on to one of the 8 pin connectors and then hide the extra connector somewhere else in the case.

My cable is 8 and 6+2 together. The 8 pin worked on my 960 but it did not work on my gtx1660 so I had to use the 6+2 so idk if it will work if a buy a 8 pin only

7 minutes ago, Noob4life said:

20210213_000302.jpg

Take the connector I circled in red and plug THAT into the graphics card.

Take the other one, circled in pink, and run it back in parallel to the first connector and zip-tie the two together. 

image.png.4c19814fff9b3cfd6df59cdd391f0e71.png

That will make this look 10,000% better.  Trust me.  That's how you're SUPPOSED TO do it.

3 minutes ago, Noob4life said:

My cable is 8 and 6+2 together. The 8 pin worked on my 960 but it did not work on my gtx1660 so I had to use the 6+2 so idk if it will work if a buy a 8 pin only

Both of those connectors are 6+2-pin.

There is no difference between a 6+2-pin PCIe and an 8-pin PCIe.  The pinout is the same.

Unlesse you were taking the 8-pin that is supposed to plug into the PSU and were trying to plug it into the graphics card.  That should never work.

that cable should work are you sure that it was properly inserted.

1 minute ago, XsBigBoi said:

that cable should work are you sure that it was properly inserted.

They're BOTH 6+2.  I have to wonder if OP was trying to plug the 8-pin that goes into the PSU into the graphics card.

Now you lost me even more. The 8 pin that is hanging was in my 960 gtx for years without a problem. But it did not work for my 1660, so I had to use the other one (6+2) its not a new build. The 8 pin was always connected to my gpu. It cant even reach the psu..

8 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Take the connector I circled in red and plug THAT into the graphics card.

Take the other one, circled in pink, and run it back in parallel to the first connector and zip-tie the two together. 

image.png.4c19814fff9b3cfd6df59cdd391f0e71.png

That will make this look 10,000% better.  Trust me.  That's how you're SUPPOSED TO do it.

It wont work.. thats what im saying. It wont power on my screen. Thats why I had to use the 6+2 

2 minutes ago, Noob4life said:

Now you lost me even more. The 8 pin that is hanging was in my 960 gtx for years without a problem. But it did not work for my 1660, so I had to use the other one (6+2) its not a new build. The 8 pin was always connected to my gpu. It cant even reach the psu..

You lost me too.  😄

BOTH of those connectors should be exactly the same.  If one didn't work, then you did something wrong.

Did you maybe put the +2 on the wrong side of the 6-pin when you plugged it in?

Just now, jonnyGURU said:

You lost me too.  😄

BOTH of those connectors should be exactly the same.  If one didn't work, then you did something wrong.

Mate. I have had this gpu for years. And the one connector worked fine but did not work on my new gpu but the other connector works on the 1660. Thats why its confusing. I have done nothing else but switching gpus. 

6+2=8, both have 8 pins and are exactly the same other than one can be seperated, perhaps you didnt plug the +2 part in all the way its an easy mistake.

1 minute ago, Noob4life said:

Mate. I have had this gpu for years. And the one connector worked fine but did not work on my new gpu but the other connector works on the 1660. Thats why its confusing. I have done nothing else but switching gpus. 

Is this or is this not a 6+2:

image.png.acab8fa5364e3261ade7e85fecc2ac76.png

You keep saying "8-pin", but I only see 6 pins in your picture.  They should BOTH be 6+2-pin connectors.  The only 8-pin is the connector that plugs into the PSU itself.

The extension i recommended should work. i imagine that there is an issue with your 8 pin cable. you can add the extension on to the end of the 6+2 pin.

3 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Is this or is this not a 6+2:

image.png.acab8fa5364e3261ade7e85fecc2ac76.png

You keep saying "8-pin", but I only see 6 pins in your picture.  They should BOTH be 6+2-pin connectors.  The only 8-pin is the connector that plugs into the PSU itself.

Sorry. Mb.  Yes 6 pin. Sorry i take new pics.

I messed up in the explaining. Sorry for wasting your time. Better pics here. But I now see the one that was in my gtx960 is a 6 pin and the other cable thats now in my gtx 1660 is 6+2 so the 6 pin is not giving enough power to my gpu so therefore i have to use the 6+2 pin. What 8 pin do I need to buy if I have an nzxt psu? Alain sorry for this stupid ass of mine. 

Im tired. First picture is 6 pin that was in the old gpu and now 6+2 is in the new gpu. Because the 6 pin obvious wont give enough power 

20210213_003115.jpg

20210213_003128.jpg

Cables wise i really wished to get rid of this and just get white/black. 

20210213_003813.jpg

20210213_003819.jpg