Intel i processor question

Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

the i3 a dual core with a 3rd core that is weaker and helps the other two function better, a 5th for i5 and 7th for i7. is what I heard

No. That's not how it works. An i3 is 2 cores with hyperthreading.--at least with desktop chips. Different specifications go for mobile chips and whatnot.

If you feel like doing a bit more reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core

I was curious as to the purpose of the name i3, i5, &i7. I heard because of a third intelligent core, but that just sound to convenient. So I was wondering as to the real reason, and all my google searches came to as it was announced that it would be a new naming scheme, not why, and that it was ripping off BMW or some other company and could not find any good real conclusive answers. thanks for any help in advanced. 

Nothing to see here, move along

Like any other company, Intel thinks their naming scheme would stick and that it would promote sales. 

..What's a third intelligent core?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I believe that it's just a naming scheme.. 3<5<7, so thusly a #3 CPU would be weaker than a #5, which would be weaker than a #7.. 

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Primes. And 2 sucks so they started with 3.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Like any other company, Intel thinks their naming scheme would stick and that it would promote sales. 

third intelligent core just means 3rd generation of the Core brand name.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

As far as I'm aware, there is nor physical reason for the naming scheme on the CPU's, such as an extra intelligent core. On an i3 that might make some sense, dual core i3 with an extra core. But on some i5's and some i7's that have 4 cores, that whole idea for the naming scheme collapses. Intel themselves list the 'i' on i3, i5 and i7 as a brand modifier, so it's safe to assume that it's just branding for the purpose of marketing

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

the i3 a dual core with a 3rd core that is weaker and helps the other two function better, a 5th for i5 and 7th for i7. is what I heard

third intelligent core just means 3rd generation of the Core brand name.

I added so you can see what I heard. and i doubt that as well because the core i heard was a physical core not a figurative core.

As far as I'm aware, there is nor physical reason for the naming scheme on the CPU's, such as an extra intelligent core. On an i3 that might make some sense, dual core i3 with an extra core. But on some i5's and some i7's that have 4 cores, that whole idea for the naming scheme collapses. Intel themselves list the 'i' on i3, i5 and i7 as a brand modifier, so it's safe to assume that it's just branding for the purpose of marketing

that is what I was thinking, but I don't have proof and the people who keep saying that is not going to say otherwise without proof.

No. That's not how it works. An i3 is 2 cores with hyperthreading.--at least with desktop chips. Different specifications go for mobile chips and whatnot.

If you feel like doing a bit more reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

the i3 i5 and i7 is purely just a naming scheme and has nothing to do with physical cores. Its just another way to say tier 1 tier 2 and tier 3 of the cpu

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

What? No? An i3 is a hyperthreaded dual core. An i5 is a quad core without hyperthreading. And an i7 is a hyperthreaded quad core. 

I was curious as to the purpose of the name i3, i5, &i7. I heard because of a third intelligent core, but that just sound to convenient. So I was wondering as to the real reason, and all my google searches came to as it was announced that it would be a new naming scheme, not why, and that it was ripping off BMW or some other company and could not find any good real conclusive answers. thanks for any help in advanced. 

also, these markings are older than the BMW i series cars. 

Exactly my thoughts.

I3,5 and 7 are just brand names, geez. Lemme think... Peugeot makes cars that have numbers in their names. But they don't mean anything special, except the 30x is a smaller car with less equipment than a 40x or 50x.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

also, these markings are older than the BMW i series cars. 

Exactly my thoughts.

I3,5 and 7 are just brand names, geez. Lemme think... Peugeot makes cars that have numbers in their names. But they don't mean anything special, except the 30x is a smaller car with less equipment than a 40x or 50x.

I know they are just brand names but the people who keep bringing up the intelligent core thing won't change their mind without proof that they can understand and withing a small time frame. it is infuriating because they bring it up every few hours.

i read good answers, but this is the closest to what i asked about, thank you, and thanks to the others for helping.

I know they are just brand names but the people who keep bringing up the intelligent core thing won't change their mind without proof that they can understand and withing a small time frame. it is infuriating because they bring it up every few hours.

Just ask them: "What is an intelligent core supposed to be?"

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Just ask them: "What is an intelligent core supposed to be?"

I stated earlier in a reply, they say it is an additional smaller core that serves to increase the performance of the two full sized and functional cores.

The naming scheme corresponds to Intel's processor ratings.

• Celeron = 1 Star
  • Pentium = 2 Stars
  • Core i3 = 3 Stars
  • Core i5 = 4 Stars
  • Core i7 = 5 Stars

As to why they named the the Core i5 the "i5" is beyond me.

I stated earlier in a reply, they say it is an additional smaller core that serves to increase the performance of the two full sized and functional cores.

See attached below:

nope.avi :

Spoiler

Maybe in 6 or so years there'll be an i9. 

Extreme Edition i7*

The naming scheme works based off Intel's processor ratings.

Where'd you get that info?

See attached below:

nope.avi :

wrong vid,