Is Pop! OS good and secure?

Hello! After using Linux Mint on and off on an old pc (without internet, didn't have a wifi adapter that I could use all the time in this pc) for a while (and having some problems re installing windows 10) I decided to try Linux as my everyday OS.

After seeing Pop! OS on the latest Shortcircuit video I kinda decided to try it on my main pc to get away from windows for a while, but I have a few concers about how secure it is, like how fast security updates are pushed and how overall secure is it.

Thank you very much for the answers!

I recommend Manjaro. There is a built in firewall, just have to flip the switch to turn it on. https://manjaro.org/

Yes. PopOS gets lots of attention from System76 since it is what they ship on their products.

It's overall very well polished and encourages encryption out of the box. Most guides are written for Ubuntu base distros, so there's lots of community help too.

Can't really go wrong.

I only used pop for a short time but they appeared to release security updates in a timely manner. They might be more secure than other distros if there are less people who have access to their servers.

Thanks for the answers!

15 hours ago, WereCat said:

Yes. 

15 hours ago, Den-Fi said:

Yes. PopOS gets lots of attention from System76 since it is what they ship on their products.

It's overall very well polished and encourages encryption out of the box. Most guides are written for Ubuntu base distros, so there's lots of community help too.

Can't really go wrong.

14 hours ago, Mling said:

I only used pop for a short time but they appeared to release security updates in a timely manner.

Ok, the most important part for me was the security side, so I'll give it a try as my everyday OS then.

15 hours ago, Dale.J said:

I recommend Manjaro. There is a built in firewall, just have to flip the switch to turn it on. https://manjaro.org/

I never used Manjaro, only Ubuntu based distros, and I didn't want to start using another distro not based on Ubuntu on my main pc, but I'll keep it in mind to try later on a secondary pc to see how it works

• 1 month later...
On 2/12/2021 at 10:49 AM, Dale.J said:

See this:

4 hours ago, RicenShine said:

See this:

but this is from 5 years ago, the devs have gotten a lot better and more professional since then.

1 hour ago, jojito said:

but this is from 5 years ago, the devs have gotten a lot better and more professional since then.

It's concerning how the situation was handled, that's why I am not able to say manjaro is secure

Enable SELinux, use firewall, follow common practice (disable root, use sudo, set right system permission ect) and you will be completely secure. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Let's just say that any Linux that has been installed out of the box and not been updated for three months will generally be a lot safer than any Windows that is freshly patched and has a bunch of firewall and virus software running. 

i've just repaired an older laptop. needed a screen, more ram and installed a new wd 1tb ssd. installed pop os with xfce as a dm. (never cared for gnome or kde).

and i game on it.

fully encrypted.  

never considered ms windowz. not an option. its rubbish. 

Thanks for all the answers guys!

I ended up not installing PopOs because when it reached 70% during the install process, it gave my an error (not remember which one) and it wouldnt continue. At the time I couldn't search for the error online and I just abandoned it.