Spilled water on my gpu...

namarino

Hey everyone. Got my shiny new 3080 with a waterblock. I had to take it out of my loop to do something with it, but while draining the loop, the water spilled all over it. Obviously there was no power in the system. I dabbed the excess water from the pcb and put alcohol on it as well. I have it drying in front of a fan right now. It seems dry. But there is some residue from the coolant on the pcb. It's a clear, premixed coolant from ek. I'll attach a pic. Am I screwed or should I be ok? How long should I wait to put it back in the system? Thanks so much for any help! 

IMG_20210210_213126.jpg

Safe better than sorry, let it sit at least for 12 hours, perhaps several days. I'm not an expert and this is just an opinion based off of the limited research I've done and the experience I have. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

Normally I'd risk it and go ahead and try it, but not with something like a 3080. Let it sit in front of the fan for several hours and make sure it's dry. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

It's completely ruined, better sell it to me for €100 (that's a joke)

GPU should be fine, you did the right thing with the alcohol as it pulls moisture and water into itself then evaporates at a lower temperature (usually, depends on the alcohol,) and this (obviously) means evaporates much faster. The coolant may have had solid particulates or disolved stuff in it, or other liquids that don't exhibit this bahaviour, wash the PCB now with more alcohol and then dry it off again and leave it overnight, should be fine. 

Yours faithfully

43 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

wash the PCB now with more alcohol and then dry it off again and leave it overnight, should be fine. 

Yeap exactly, don't leave the residue just there... use rubbing alcohol and a very soft brush or something and then let it dry 1-2 days, should be safe then 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Some bad news. I let it dry for over 24 hours. It was completely dry. I used alcohol and a brush to deal with the residue. I put it in the system and there's no signal. There are 3 red leds on the card, presumably error leds, and they all lit up. Amazing. 900 bucks down the drain. Can't believe it. I assume it's impossible to actually repair these things. Whatever. Now I gotta wait months to get another one and spend another 900 bucks. What a waste. Anyway, sorry to rant, just very frustrated. 

3 minutes ago, namarino said:

Some bad news. I let it dry for over 24 hours. It was completely dry. I used alcohol and a brush to deal with the residue. I put it in the system and there's no signal. There are 3 red leds on the card, presumably error leds, and they all lit up. Amazing. 900 bucks down the drain. Can't believe it. I assume it's impossible to actually repair these things. Whatever. Now I gotta wait months to get another one and spend another 900 bucks. What a waste. Anyway, sorry to rant, just very frustrated. 

Maybe RMA it, say it had some error. See if they take it back

45 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

Maybe RMA it, say it had some error. See if they take it back

Wouldn't they see that I took the stock cooler off? Doesn't that void the warranty?

7 minutes ago, namarino said:

Wouldn't they see that I took the stock cooler off? Doesn't that void the warranty?

Check... XFX allows you to take the stock cooler off their cards (for changing thermal paste etc) without voiding the warranty AS LONG AS you reattach the stock cooler when you send it back, whatever company made your card may not, but possibly. I had to do so with a XFX RX 460 a few years back that one of the caps exploded, I had taken off the cooler to repaste a while ago and they still took it.

8 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

Check... XFX allows you to take the stock cooler off their cards (for changing thermal paste etc) without voiding the warranty AS LONG AS you reattach the stock cooler when you send it back, whatever company made your card may not, but possibly. I had to do so with a XFX RX 460 a few years back that one of the caps exploded, I had taken off the cooler to repaste a while ago and they still took it.

I'll give it a try, what the hell. Nothing to lose right? Should I tell them that I spilled water on it? Or should keep quiet about it?

11 minutes ago, namarino said:

I'll give it a try, what the hell. Nothing to lose right? Should I tell them that I spilled water on it? Or should keep quiet about it?

Definitely keep quiet... If they ask you about it, tell them you were cleaning thermal paste off using rubbing alcohol and some spilled on the card.