Computer left idle for a while, return and fans are super loud, screen is black, unresponsive

Hello,

I have a three year old custom built PC. Starting yesterday or the day before, I noticed that I will leave it idle for a while (dual monitors on, no sleep mode enabled) then return to it with the fans going full tilt and my screens black as if it were in sleep mode. My peripherals will still be lit up but no clicking or key stroke does anything as far as I can tell, forcing me into a hard reset.

I use a Kraken X62 radiator mounted to the front of my case to cool the CPU and have an NVIDIA GTX 1080 Duke GPU. In NZXT's CAM app today I noticed crazy temperature readings for my GPU while under idle (562 degrees, fans not spinning) and while under load (600-700 degrees, fans spinning). My first thought was that these were not accurate readings?

Looking at various tech forums, the potential issues seem to be:

• Fan headers not installed properly (originally CAM was not registering any fan movement for CPU or GPU but it registers for both now)
  • CAM App is garbage and providing false readings
  • PSU under powered

Here are relevant system specs:

• CPU: i7-6700K (not overclocked)
  • Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI Plus
  • GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Duke
  • PSU: Cooler Master 750W 80+ Gold
  • Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2

What's going on here? Is it one of those aforementioned issues or something else? Thanks.

idle.png

under load.png

FWIW, screen going black, fans blasting just happened to me a minute ago while browsing the internet. This is my main work-from-home machine so any help or advice would be hugely helpful. My worry is that my graphics card (bought new about 18-24 months ago) is faulty amid the wide unavailability of GPUs right now.

sorry for my stupidity but

are the temps in Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Sounds like something is definitely causing the GPU driver to crash. Have you updated the drivers recently? If so maybe try rolling back to previous version and see if that makes a difference.

Does HWmonitor or another software report normal temps?

Also assuming your GPU fan profile is using a silent setting (stops fans under idle/light use). Can you change them to always on, but to just run low during idle?

Ryzen 7 2700X  | Gigabyte RX5700 XT | ASUS TUF B450M | HyperX Fury 2x16gb 3200MHz |  CM MasterBox Lite 3 (Mesh Modded) | Corsair MP510 960GB | Be Quiet Pure Power 11 700w

18 hours ago, aPCdreamer said:

sorry for my stupidity but

are the temps in Fahrenheit or Celsius?

My CAM settings are Celsius so presumably that reading is in Celsius.

9 hours ago, King_Jahh said:

Sounds like something is definitely causing the GPU driver to crash. Have you updated the drivers recently? If so maybe try rolling back to previous version and see if that makes a difference.

Does HWmonitor or another software report normal temps?

Also assuming your GPU fan profile is using a silent setting (stops fans under idle/light use). Can you change them to always on, but to just run low during idle?

I updated the NVIDIA drivers when they first came out on 1/26. Since then, there was a notification to update my NVIDIA driver but it was the same 1/26 driver?

HWmonitor shows my GPU around 60 degrees Celsius right now.

NZXT CAM has CPU and GPU set to performance cooling.

image.png

It crashed on me just a moment ago. I decided to look at the Reliability Monitor and found the following entries:

image.png.218099176e4dc9aecd649f7b0892e466.png

I'm told LightningService.exe is related to ASUS Aura Sync but I do not have anything related to that?

I don't know what Freemake is.

It happened again while reading an article in Chrome. Here's the reliability monitor that lists only the Desktop Window Manager:  

image.png

image.png

On 2/9/2021 at 7:59 AM, LetsGoOakland said:

CAM App is garbage

That one's not a myth! 

15 hours ago, LetsGoOakland said:

I'm told LightningService.exe is related to ASUS Aura Sync but I do not have anything related to that?

I don't know what Freemake is.

apparently you have a lot of garbage on your pc, might not be the cause for your issue but seems likely. 

I'd do a malwarebytes scan, then ADW, also windows defender. 

And if they don't find anything........  consider reinstalling windows. 

Since version 4.0[citation needed], Freemake Video Converter's installer includes a potentially unwanted search toolbar from Conduit as well as SweetPacks malware.[20] Although users can decline the software during install, the opt-out option is rendered in gray which could mistakenly give the impression that it's disabled.[21][unreliable source?]

^ shady stuff my dude, or gal... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I have Malwarebytes Premium and it has found nothing. Same with Windows Defender.

How do I ensure I get all this garbage off my computer?