Video Editing Workstation Motherboard recommendation for Xeon E3

Go to solution Solved by Guest GRRigger,

My last question on this topic:

Should I rather take this board in order to have some upgrading capability, or does is have any disadvantages in comparison with your recommendation.

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Gigabyte-Z87-D3HP-Intel-Z87-So-1150-Dual-Channel-DDR3-ATX-Retail_856360.html

This is lower end z87 overclocking board.

For upgradability, i dont think you need to worry about that, hyperthreaded xeon that you bought is enough. You wouldnt see much benefit if you upgraded to broadwell or whtever next batch of cpus is.

It has same amout of ports and connectors, the only difference i know of is that its overclocking board.

Hello everyone,

due the the fact that I need fast and reliable support as a long subscriber of the LinusTechTips Channel I created a forum account

to ask the following question.

Please only answer to this post if you have the knowledge to make an educated and reliable recommendation.

I am building a cheap video workstation with the capability of gaming and I purchased the following processor:
http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Intel-Xeon-E3-1230v3-4x-3-30GHz-So-1150-BOX_856397.html

I read that you can't freely OC the  Xeon series of processors but you can constantly oc it just to the top level of the boost frequency.

Is that information right, or can't you overclock the cpu at all?

Now to the main question:

What motherboard would you recommend (and what mobo chipset) for my usage?
Should I go with Z87 or H87 or some completely different chipset? (remember that if possible(!) I would like to get the 3,7 JiggaHertz Boost clock oc)

Please check before you recommend a board if it is availble on mindfactory.de and it should not be more expensive than 130€ -140€ (Yes, Euro).

Thank you

Yours sincerely

R3jected

Bascily any LG 1150 motherboard will suit you. 

Thank you for your post, but your suggestion really does not help me since I already knew which socket my cpu has ;)

Hoping for more in-depth post on the decision I should make.

Regards

Thank you for your post, but your suggestion really does not help me since I already knew which socket my cpu has ;)

Hoping for more in-depth post on the decision I should make.

Regards

K. How many ssd/hdd's do you have (in your pc or will be in your pc?) How man will you add? Do you want to be able to oc? (Then you would have to get a diffrent CPU though.) What formfactor do you want? (mITX/mATX/ ATX/ E-ATX) do you care about looks if so what do you like? 4. SLI/ Xfire in the future ? 

this^^ xeon will work on any mobo. The things you want to look for are features, expansion slots, ports, reliability (vrm, heatsinks, capacitors).

OK let's speed that up a little bit.
What do you prefer for my CPU:

Z87 Boards: (110 -130€)

• ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer Intel Z87
  • Asus Z87-Plus (C2) Intel Z87
  • Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87 Intel Z87

H87 Boards: (ca. 85€)

• Asus H87-Pro (C2) Intel H87

i love my z87-d3hp

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

That exactly was my question. Do I need a z87 or will I lack off any performance if I go with a H87?

Can I "overclock" a Xeon E3 to the limit boost clock or is that not recommended?

That exactly was my question. Do I need a z87 or will I lack off any performance if I go with a H87?

Can I "overclock" a Xeon E3 to the limit boost clock or is that not recommended?

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Z87-H87-H81-Q87-Q85-B85-What-is-the-difference-473/

http://anandtech.com/show/6214/multicore-enhancement-the-debate-about-free-mhz

If you have been keeping up to date with any of the AnandTech motherboard reviews lately, there has been one topic that has been hot on my lips, and it is called ‘MultiCore Enhancement’. As an exercise in explanation and opinion, we would like to know your thoughts on this, and how it would affect you as a user.

To start, let me describe what we are talking about. On the latest line of Intel CPUs, we have multiple cores all willing to provide computational throughput. The CPU itself has a listed stock speed, and a thermal window to ensure stable operation. At the stock speed, the CPU does not hit the thermal window, so Intel assign higher speeds depending on how much computational power is needed, and this is adjusted to fit inside the power requirements. Thus when a user requires only one CPU core, the CPU can be allocated the maximum turbo speed – when more cores are requested, the speed of the CPU drops until all cores are in use. This is what Intel designates the ‘Turbo Boost’ for the CPU.

However this technology is not defined by the processor itself. The act of telling the processor to run at a certain speed is set by the motherboard, not the processor. So as part of the deal with Intel, motherboard manufacturers’ code in the BIOS the algorithm to make the CPU switch speeds as required. This algorithm can be aggressive, such that turbo boosts are held for a short time when CPU loading goes from low to high, or instant when CPU power is needed or not needed. This algorithm and switching speed can determine how well a motherboard performs in CPU benchmarks.

This is all well and good when every manufacturer adheres to this specification. But a new ‘feature’ has made its way onto our motherboards. Since X79, ASUS has been implementing a feature they call ‘MultiCore Enhancement’ whenever XMP has been set. Gigabyte has implemented this since their Z77 suite but as of yet leave it un-named, and ASRock are going to start using ‘MultiCore Acceleration’ with their Z77 OC Formula. EVGA also has something in the pipeline for their Z77 boards. This feature, put simply, gives the CPU some extra speed.

With these motherboards, usually when XMP is enabled, the CPU is told to use the top turbo boost setting under all loads. That means a CPU like the i7-3770K has only two speeds – 3.9 GHz while under CPU load, and 1.2 GHz at idle. For motherboards that implement this feature, they get a significant boost in their CPU benchmark scores. As a result, the user who runs their processor at stock also gets up to 300 MHz more speed during multithreaded loading.

Technically, this is an overclock. Typically we are told that overclocking a system is liable to void the warranty on both the processor and the motherboard. With the case of the processor, typically what Intel put on the shelves is a safe speed – they are not pushing any competition to the limits, so these processors have breathing room and this ‘overclock’ should not harm longevity.

There has been a precedent with this in the past – when Turbo Boost was not part of the processor paradigm, motherboard manufacturers used to play around with the CPU FSB speed before it was passed through the multiplier. So instead of 100.0 MHz on the FSB, we used to get 100.3 MHz, 100.8 MHz, 101.3 MHz, and even a case of 102.1 MHz I believe. So essentially, a free 2.1% overclock if you ran the processor at stock speeds.

Given all this, I recently tested one motherboard that pushed the boundaries beyond the ‘normal’ MultiCore Enhancement. The Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3, by default, gave the i7-3770K a 4.0 GHz turbo mode at any speed. As a result, it took top spot in all our benchmark settings. The G1.Sniper 3 is a high end product, so producing the jump was not much extra work for the product itself. However, it does open up a variety of questions.

Wow thank you for that indepth post. I think I understood everything now.

Since you said in your first post that I do not have to go with a z87 board I wonder if I should go with:

a) http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Asus-H87-Pro--C2--Intel-H87-So-1150-Dual-Channel-DDR3-ATX-Retail_918078.html

or

b) http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Gigabyte-H87-D3H-Intel-H87-So-1150-Dual-Channel-DDR3-ATX-Retail_856362.html

oh, i ddint write that, copy paste from some forum lol

get gigabyte

My last question on this topic:

Should I rather take this board in order to have some upgrading capability, or does is have any disadvantages in comparison with your recommendation.

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Gigabyte-Z87-D3HP-Intel-Z87-So-1150-Dual-Channel-DDR3-ATX-Retail_856360.html

This is lower end z87 overclocking board.

For upgradability, i dont think you need to worry about that, hyperthreaded xeon that you bought is enough. You wouldnt see much benefit if you upgraded to broadwell or whtever next batch of cpus is.

It has same amout of ports and connectors, the only difference i know of is that its overclocking board.