Stop Hyper-V network adapters being created for certain network adapters

I have Hyper-V features enabled for Application Guard and Sandbox, but also use VMWare and Virtualbox.

How can I stop Hyper-V network adapters being created for these adapters? This

image.png.4c8cd49256fa149267108cdbad09cebd.png

is really obnoxious.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

UTC/GMT (Except during BST)

I'm not sure you can, however I have a question. Why are you using multiple different VM tools... just pick one.

This is because they each have their own bridges and network adapters.  If they didn't make this you wouldn't be able to run VMs that have any network access. 

I see on there:

• The base 3 VMWare NICs - VMNet 8, VMNet 1 and NAT. 
  • Basic VirtualBox NICs
  • HyperV bridged NIC. 

As @leadeater stated, I don't know why you're using 3 hypervisors.  You can run any OS on all 3 of them - They might all compete for system calls and end up timing each other  out and resulting in slower speeds. 

@leadeater / @Akolyte

Hello there.

I use VMWare Primarily, but for older OSes VirtualBox works better.

I don't use Hyper-V explicitly, but for WSL, Application Guard (and Windows Sandbox, but I don't use it), Hyper-V components are enabled for those.

I don't need Hyper-V Network adapters for the other Hypervisors since i'll never want to make Hyper-V connect to these Hypervisor's adapters.

I don't use them all at once, so I'm not too concerned about performance, I just want them hidden or similar if possible

7 minutes ago, LewisSpring said:

I don't use Hyper-V explicitly, but for WSL, Application Guard (and Windows Sandbox, but I don't use it), Hyper-V components are enabled for those.

Even for WSL you're actually running a full Linux OS using all the core componentry of Hyper-V so if you were to remove the Hyper-V switch your WSL instance would have no networking anymore.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Even for WSL you're actually running a full Linux OS using all the core componentry of Hyper-V so if you were to remove the Hyper-V switch your WSL instance would have no networking anymore.

Yes, Hence why I was wondering if I could disable the Hyper-V network adapters for the VirtualBox and VMWare network adapters

7 minutes ago, LewisSpring said:

Yes, Hence why I was wondering if I could disable the Hyper-V network adapters for the VirtualBox and VMWare network adapters

Have a look in Device Manager under network adapters, if they don't show try enabling Show Hidden Devices and then disable them.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Have a look in Device Manager under network adapters, if they don't show try enabling Show Hidden Devices and then disable them.

If I disable them, they become enabled after reboot. 

I suppose I could have a PowerShell script to run every boot to disable the adapters I don't want - that could work.

The main problem is I've looked on loads of websites with no result, so I'm thinking it might be something that's just not possible without a janky UAC prompt at every boot.

5 minutes ago, LewisSpring said:

I suppose I could have a PowerShell script to run every boot to disable the adapters I don't want - that could work.

Probably your only option, even installing the Hyper-V management tools doesn't let you manage anything (not even the PS modules) without fully enabling Hyper-V

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-VMSwitch
Get-VMSwitch : The Hyper-V Management Tools could not access an expected WMI class on computer 'COMPUTERNAME'. This may
indicate that the Hyper-V Platform is not installed on the computer or that the version of the Hyper-V Platform is
incompatible with these management tools.
At line:1 char:1
+ Get-VMSwitch
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-VMSwitch], VirtualizationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Unspecified,Microsoft.HyperV.PowerShell.Commands.GetVMSwitch

Get this on my WSL only system, no full Hyper-V installed

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Probably your only option, even installing the Hyper-V management tools doesn't let you manage anything (not even the PS modules) without fully enabling Hyper-V

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-VMSwitch
Get-VMSwitch : The Hyper-V Management Tools could not access an expected WMI class on computer 'IT079776'. This may
indicate that the Hyper-V Platform is not installed on the computer or that the version of the Hyper-V Platform is
incompatible with these management tools.
At line:1 char:1
+ Get-VMSwitch
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-VMSwitch], VirtualizationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Unspecified,Microsoft.HyperV.PowerShell.Commands.GetVMSwitch

Get this on my WSL only system, no full Hyper-V installed

I do have Hyper-V enabled, since I was testing to see if it'd add more vEthernet adapters than Application Guard and Sandbox, so I might look into if it is worth moving to Hyper-V.

The only downside is, I suppose, is that I'd not gain any advantage without uninstalling VMWare and Virtualbox. I suppose I don't need-need them if Hyper-V works well enough.

Moving from VMWare to Hyper-V is awful and seemingly impossible.. I'm going to give up. It's a aesthetic thing anyway.