$3750 Overkill build- Any thoughts?

Entropy.

Budget (including currency): ~3750 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: MSFS 2020, Tarkov, Cod, CB2077 at 4k/1440p 144hz while recording/streaming, video editing, ect. 

Other details: I'm going for a clean, mostly non-rgb build that's overkill for basically every scenario possible. 420mm rad and higher- end motherboard for CPU overclocking, I'll try to squeeze what oc I can from the GPU without it getting too toasty. GPU Is FE since I don't particularly care for the post-tariff prices on most of the other cards. Don't mind waiting a few months for components. Am not looking to go custom loop. Case supports 11 140mm fans, will do push/pull on the radiator, with top/rear as exhausts (4 fans), and front/bottom as intake (5 fans- 8 if you count fans on either side of the rad I plan to put up front). Any thoughts? 

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 AORUS MASTER ATX AM4 Motherboard $229.99 @ Newegg
Memory Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory $173.99 @ B&H
Storage HP EX950 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $224.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $55.49 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $55.49 @ Newegg
Power Supply Enermax Revolution D.F. 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $126.99 @ Amazon
Case Fan ARCTIC P14 72.8 CFM 140 mm Fan $10.99 @ Newegg
Case Fan ARCTIC P14 PST 72.8 CFM 140 mm Fans 5-Pack $37.99 @ Amazon
Custom Arctic liquid freezer ii 420 $150.00
Custom 5950x $800.00
Custom Fractal design meshify 2 xl dark tint $180.00
Custom PSU cable extensions $150.00
Custom RTX 3090 FE $1500.00
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $3733.91
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-03 20:58 EST-0500  

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

2 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: MSFS 2020, Tarkov, Cod, CB2077 at 4k/1440p 144hz while recording/streaming, video editing, ect. 

Other details: I'm going for a clean, mostly non-rgb build that's overkill for basically every scenario possible. 420mm rad and higher- end motherboard for CPU overclocking, I'll try to squeeze what oc I can from the GPU without it getting too toasty. GPU Is FE since I don't particularly care for the post-tariff prices on most of the other cards. Don't mind waiting a few months for components. Am not looking to go custom loop. Case supports 11 140mm fans, will do push/pull on the radiator, with top/rear as exhausts (4 fans), and front/bottom as intake (5 fans- 8 if you count fans on either side of the rad I plan to put up front). Any thoughts? 

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Power Supply Enermax Revolution D.F. 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $126.99 @ Amazon
Custom 5950x $800.00
  Total $3733.91

I'd recommend a better PSU if you have the budget tbh, cause the 3090 can have some serious power spikes.

Just now, jrhaberland said:

I'd recommend a better PSU if you have the budget tbh, cause the 3090 can have some serious power spikes.

Nvidia recommends a 750w PSU for the 3090 FE. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Bigger power supply.

1 minute ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Nvidia recommends a 750w PSU for the 3090 FE. 

If you're gonna get an 850 watt one get a platinum or high rated one

3 minutes ago, jrhaberland said:

If you're gonna get an 850 watt one get a platinum or high rated one

How come? What does that do? 

1 minute ago, jrhaberland said:

Platinum means it is a much higher efficiency

So why does it need to be platinum?

13 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Custom 5950x $800.00
  Total $3733.91

Not sure how great HP SSDS are a 970 can be found at a similar price, may want to go for that.

Also good luck getting everything at msrp lol

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

2 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

So why does it need to be platinum?

You want a well rated PSU with a 3090. The cards have a bunch of mini power spikes, these spikes usually trip OCP on less than great PSUs. Many people have had trouble with 750W PSUs, and the community standard has been 850w minimum for these cards (and this is coming from a guy who ran a 980ti on a 450w). Head to the PSU tierlist here on the forum and get one of the A tier units. The reason why it needs to be platinum is that the higher rated the 80+, usually the better the power supply (it's not always coordinated, I'd rather have a highly rated community bronze unit than a poorly rated platinum unit)

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

You want a well rated PSU with a 3090. The cards have a bunch of mini power spikes, these spikes usually trip OCP on less than great PSUs. Many people have had trouble with 750W PSUs, and the community standard has been 850w minimum for these cards (and this is coming from a guy who ran a 980ti on a 450w). Head to the PSU tierlist here on the forum and get one of the A tier units. The reason why it needs to be platinum is that the higher rated the 80+, usually the better the power supply (it's not always coordinated, I'd rather have a highly rated community bronze unit than a poorly rated platinum unit)

The revo D.F is an A-tier. I see no point in wasting $100 to get a platinum PSU- I live in Oregon, electricity is dirt-cheap and clean, and even less of a point of recommending a PSU based on it's rating, like you said. 

Having a budget of around 4 grand and still including spinning rust? You can get gen4 SSDs as well.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

1 minute ago, VEXICUS said:

Having a budget of around 4 grand and still including spinning rust? You can get gen4 SSDs as well.

Swap that PSU with a better unit.

4TB of mechanical hard drives is a hell of a lot cheaper than 4TB of solid state storage, so it's perfectly fine if speed isn't too important. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, ProjectBox153 said:

4TB of mechanical hard drives is a hell of a lot cheaper than 4TB of solid state storage, so it's perfectly fine if speed isn't too important. 

Considering when you have a hefty budget of 4 grand, I would rather skip on HDDs

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

5 minutes ago, VEXICUS said:

Swap that PSU with a better unit.

Is there a problem with wanting cheap storage lol? I'm video editing. And no, I don't want to spend money on something that will hardly make a tangible difference on what I'm doing. Sure gen 4 nvmes are nice and fast on paper, but from What I've seen they don't make much of a difference in the real world. It's a nice-to-have sure, but I'd rather spend my money elsewhere. Same for the HDDs. 

Everybody is saying "get a better psu" but can't explain what's wrong with it. Can you please explain? Like 850w should be enough for a 3090, no? and I don't see much of a point with getting a higher rated psu. Sure, better efficiency but I don't really think I need or want better efficiency. 

Just now, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Is there a problem with wanting cheap storage lol? I'm video editing. And no, I don't want to spend money on something that will hardly make a tangible difference on my workload. 

Everybody is saying "get a better psu" but can't explain what's wrong with it. Can you please explain? Like 850w should be enough for a 3090, no? and I don't see much of a point with getting a higher rated psu. Sure, better efficiency but I don't really think I need or want better efficiency. 

That PSU is fine for a 3090, no probs with that

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

2 minutes ago, VEXICUS said:

Considering when you have a hefty budget of 4 grand, I would rather skip on HDDs

Not everyone would, and from what @Brok3n But who cares? has said it seems like they'll be just fine with HDDs. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

12 minutes ago, Downkey said:

Not sure how great HP SSDS are a 970 can be found at a similar price, may want to go for that.

Also good luck getting everything at msrp lol

From what I've seen these SSDs are pretty good. And I mean I said I'm waiting for a better time to buy. Just was looking for thoughts. 

1 minute ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Is there a problem with wanting cheap storage lol? I'm video editing. And no, I don't want to spend money on something that will hardly make a tangible difference on what I'm doing. Sure gen 4 nvmes are nice and fast on paper, but from What I've seen they don't make much of a difference in the real world

The 850W should be enough, the main reason people are saying to get a better one is because if you're going to be putting a ton of hard drives and fans in there, it will be strained, and if you're budget allows for it, might as well spend an extra $30-40 to get a 1000w. PSUs also tend to wear down their rated wattage the longer they're used, so it will just give you extra peace of mind for the future.

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The 850W should be enough, the main reason people are saying to get a better one is because if you're going to be putting a ton of hard drives and fans in there, it will be strained, and if you're budget allows for it, might as well spend an extra $30-40 to get a 1000w. PSUs also tend to wear down their rated wattage the longer they're used, so it will just give you extra peace of mind for the future.

Fair enough, thanks. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I agree with @RONOTHAN## since you are going to put 11 case fans in this case and have a couple spinning drives. Just a 1000W unit will be good. The 80+ Efficiency ratings don't mean your getting a quality PSU. A 1000W 80+ Gold rated PSU from the PSU Tier list of tier A will be fine with your build. 

8 minutes ago, VEXICUS said:

The OP wants to use HDDs for his needs. I'll probably be doing a combo of SSDs/HDDS in my system until the $/GB for SSDs (quality) fall under HDDs. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34"