If my build was your build what would you upgrade first?

Its a gaming rig for a wide variety games. Looking for additional opinions on which part I should upgrade first when the time comes. What do you guys think my upgrade priority is right now?

Have you already bought all the parts? If not I would suggest asking someone else to put together a parts list. $1700 can get you a system that would perform a lot better than this one.

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

That's a weird way to phrase your question - I might not want the same end function as you, so I'd probably upgrade to a colour-accurate display, fanless coolers, and the smallest case I could find.

For gaming, there's nothing here that needs to be upgraded. It's still a very competent high-end PC, and for 1080p the merits of a card better than a 1660 Super start to diminish. 

The one thing that stands out is that I would upgrade the keycaps on your keyboard to PBT. It's a very inexpensive upgrade, and they won't gloss over and develop that disgusting greasy, 'sweaty' look associated with ABS keycaps after long term use

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm

Just now, tishous said:

Have you already bought all the parts? If not I would suggest asking someone else to put together a parts list. $1700 can get you a system that would perform a lot better than this one.

This is my current build that Ive had for a while now. Just looking into my upgrade path. It was slowly built over time. I didnt drop 1700 all at once and went with that haha. 

5 minutes ago, PhoenixFire22588 said:

This is my current build that Ive had for a while now. Just looking into my upgrade path. It was slowly built over time. I didnt drop 1700 all at once and went with that haha. 

Oh right I thought you were asking whether it was a good build that you could upgrade in the future. I was going to say, $500 on a 1660 Super probably isn't the best idea.

For upgrades, I can't really see anything. The 9600k is kind of lacking in terms of hyper threading, so maybe something like a 10600k might be good if you're into competitive FPS games. If not, then upgrading the GPU would probably be next. It's fine for 1080p 60fps high most of the time, but it's starting to become underpowered in games such as Cyberpunk 2077, where you can only get medium settings at 60 fps.

Edit: Although, if you do decide to upgrade your CPU, you will have to buy a new motherboard, so you could even go AMD instead.

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

3 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

For gaming, there's nothing here that needs to be upgraded.

Man I never thought I'd reach this point... Been a long road. Gains... Thank you for that 😄 

I suppose you're right. My minimum fps is 70+ at 1080p and to go higher I'd be entering "enthusiast" territory. 

Keycaps you say? The keyboard came with additional caps. Mayb I'll whip em out 🙂

3 minutes ago, tishous said:

Oh right I thought you were asking whether it was a good build that you could upgrade in the future. I was going to say, $500 on a 1660 Super probably isn't the best idea.

For upgrades, I can't really see anything. The 9600k is kind of lacking in terms of hyper threading, so maybe something like a 10600k might be good if you're into competitive FPS games. If not, then upgrading the GPU would probably be next. It's fine for 1080p 60fps high most of the time, but it's starting to become underpowered in games such as Cyberpunk 2077, where you can only get medium settings at 60 fps.

Edit: Although, if you do decide to upgrade your CPU, you will have to buy a new motherboard, so you could even go AMD instead.

Thats kind of what I was thinking as well. Hyperthreading is hot and I want that for sure and I'm not really sure when the 1660 Super starts to drop off but I haven't played Cyberpunk on it so that makes sense. If medium is the best I can do for a minimum of 60fps then I'll have to break into the RTX series at least. But then I start thinking about price per frame and wonder if I should just wait for a 3k series. I'm still seeing mixed reviews and benchmarks for the 3k series so its so hard to really gauge without actually seeing it.

I will definitely go with the next gen of amd or nvidea gpus if rtx becomes something bigger, and if it doesn’t become something bigger I’ll wait even longer before changing the gpu .

But your pc can still play the latest AAA games at high details 1080p 60fps 

And then when the cpu becomes a bottleneck i will grab and buy a used i9-9900k 

Just now, DeadlyTracer said:

I will definitely go with the next gen of amd or nvidea gpus if rtx becomes something bigger, and if it doesn’t become something bigger I’ll wait even longer before changing the gpu .

But your pc can still play the latest AAA games at high details 1080p 60fps 

And then when the cpu becomes a bottleneck i will grab and buy a used i9-9900k 

Why used? That actually was the CPU I have my eye on mainly for the hyperthreading. i7 just doesnt seem like big enough performance increase for the price. 

3 minutes ago, PhoenixFire22588 said:

Man I never thought I'd reach this point... Been a long road. Gains... Thank you for that 😄 

I suppose you're right. My minimum fps is 70+ at 1080p and to go higher I'd be entering "enthusiast" territory. 

Keycaps you say? The keyboard came with additional caps. Mayb I'll whip em out 🙂

I doubt it came with additional PBT keycaps... It's a cheap keyboard, probably just came with different-coloured ABS keycaps. 

These are cheap and good, good choice of colours etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Tecware-Keycaps-Double-Shot-Mechanical-Keyboards/dp/B08N6FNC6K/

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm

1 minute ago, PhoenixFire22588 said:

Why used? That actually was the CPU I have my eye on mainly for the hyperthreading. i7 just doesnt seem like big enough performance increase for the price. 

Because i would upgrade probably when the cpu becomes a bottleneck and it would be like buying a i7-4790k now although now that I think about it its kainda stupid because I was thinking what I would do with my parts and not your parts, I'm sorry 😧

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

I doubt it came with additional PBT keycaps... It's a cheap keyboard, probably just came with different-coloured ABS keycaps. 

These are cheap and good, good choice of colours etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Tecware-Keycaps-Double-Shot-Mechanical-Keyboards/dp/B08N6FNC6K/

Damn. You say its cheap but I've got a stack of crap keyboards 2 feet tall that says otherwise. I love this thing lmao. 

The PBT caps are meant to be better quality and shield from a greasy or glossed over look? Are they meant to have a different click sound as well?

2 minutes ago, DeadlyTracer said:

Because i would upgrade probably when the cpu becomes a bottleneck and it would be like buying a i7-4790k now although now that I think about it its kainda stupid because I was thinking what I would do with my parts and not your parts, I'm sorry 😧

lol no worries my dude. Thanks for the input

19 minutes ago, tishous said:

$500 on a 1660 Super

damn its really that much now... lol I got it for $230

4 minutes ago, PhoenixFire22588 said:

Damn. You say its cheap but I've got a stack of crap keyboards 2 feet tall that says otherwise. I love this thing lmao. 

The PBT caps are meant to be better quality and shield from a greasy or glossed over look? Are they meant to have a different click sound as well?

Idk, there are $5 keyboards, then there are $40 keyboards, and then $200 keyboards... Redragon makes basically the cheapest mechanical keyboards out there, and as you can expect, they come with much cheaper ABS plastic keycaps. 

ABS reacts with the chemicals on human skin, making the textured surface wear over time and become glossy and disgusting. 'Sweaty' as I like to call it, to emphasize my disgust. They also react with acetone, which is a really easy way of testing whether something is ABS or PBT - ABS will instantly gloss over with the slightest dab of acetone.

PBT doesn't do this. you could use it forever and it'll probably retain its original look and texture. And the upgrade is extremely cheap.

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

Idk, there are $5 keyboards, then there are $40 keyboards, and then $200 keyboards... Redragon makes basically the cheapest mechanical keyboards out there, and as you can expect, they come with much cheaper ABS plastic keycaps. 

ABS reacts with the chemicals on human skin, making the textured surface wear over time and become glossy and disgusting. 'Sweaty' as I like to call it, to emphasize my disgust. They also react with acetone, which is a really easy way of testing whether something is ABS or PBT - ABS will instantly gloss over with the slightest dab of acetone.

PBT doesn't do this. you could use it forever and it'll probably retain its original look and texture. And the upgrade is extremely cheap.

Man thats the best explanation for a piece of hardware that I've ever seen. You on commission? You'd do well lol 

Thank you though that is a very good reason to get new caps for a heavy keyboard user like myself. 

3 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Redragon makes basically the cheapest mechanical keyboards out there

Makes sense given how much I paid for it. Just goes to show that even a cheap mechanical keyboard is way more worth than a regular keyboard. This thing has been put through the ringer and still performs like new and way better than that 2 foot stack of crap I've got in a box in my closet lol.

12 minutes ago, PhoenixFire22588 said:

Man thats the best explanation for a piece of hardware that I've ever seen. You on commission? You'd do well lol 

Thank you though that is a very good reason to get new caps for a heavy keyboard user like myself. 

Makes sense given how much I paid for it. Just goes to show that even a cheap mechanical keyboard is way more worth than a regular keyboard. This thing has been put through the ringer and still performs like new and way better than that 2 foot stack of crap I've got in a box in my closet lol.

Depends. I've owned some very nice membrane keyboards that I would take over shitty mechanicals or Cherry MX Browns. Fuck Browns. BTC rubber domes are fantastic. I also like the apple wireless keyboard, and the keyboard on my Alienware 13, and would take both over Cherry Browns anyday. 

That said I'm also one of the only people in the world who owns a Razer Blackwidow with Cherry MX Blue switches, not razer's cheap shitty proprietary switches. So yeah it's hard for me to use anything but that now. Once you get a really nice keyboard it's immensely difficult to go back