Old Corsair CX 750 vs New CV 650

Plake

So I have to power up an I7 9700 (base), RTX 3070 (base too), 32gb ram and two 2TB hard drives and the options I have at hand are either an old CX 750 that I bought around ~2014 and a brand new CV650, however I've been reading some concerning things about the CV650 not lasting long. I'm also on a budget and PWM are *pretty* expensive around here, I'd say this CV650 was more expensive than what i paid for the CX750 back then but that's an understatement to every hardware piece I believe.

Should I reject modernity and embrace the CX750, or should I risk the CV650 and see how long it lasts?

Edit: Adding details I don't plan on running any huge triple A VR with RTX but I do use a lot of Blender and occasionally render in Cycles so it'll receive some one or two hours of stress each day when that happens.

13 minutes ago, Plake said:

Should I reject modernity and embrace the CX750, or should I risk the CV650 and see how long it lasts?

Definitely CV650. It's on a much better platform that's actually suitable for running modern (high power) systems, unlike the former.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

If the 750 is a 2014 then just go with the 650 even if it isn't the best budget option because if you are not overclocking you will never pull more then 350W with your setup at stock.

PC=   CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x   I   GPU: EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra   I   COOLING: Self-contained A/C unit cooled custom loop (980mm) I  RAM: 32gb 3800MHz DDR4   I   SSD: Samsung 850 evo 250Gb x2   I   HDD: WD blue 1TB  |  NVME: WD Black 500gb  I   PSU: Excalvion 1000w

If it's the non-modular, grey CX, then get that. Those are some of the best cheap PSus ever made

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm

11 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

If it's the non-modular, grey CX, then get that. Those are some of the best cheap PSus ever made

Unforutnatelly no, the one I have is a green non-modular

Edit: Well the 750 that is, the CV 650 is grey but I don't think there's green ones anymore.

Hmm so I'll keep the PSUs on their places and let it run on the CV650.

I hope it survives until I can render 8k pictures enough for a better non-budget version. In that case which PSU would be the most suitable? Corsair CX or other brand? I don't have a brand favorability, I just use corsair on the basis that I've used before and it didn't blow up (yet).

6 minutes ago, Plake said:

Edit: Well the 750 that is, the CV 650 is grey but I don't think there's green ones anymore.

Yeah the CX Greens all suck, but the CX750 is actually marginally better. Likewise, the CVs usually suck but the CV650 is better. 

I'd say the Green CX 430 (this one specifically was catching fire), 500, 600, and the CV 450, 550 are on the same tier and they all suck. Also, the Green CX750 and the CV650 are both meh, so it's not an upgrade, it's just a replacement. 

Where are you located? It's possible you can get a better PSU for the money.

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm

4 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Where are you located? It's possible you can get a better PSU for the money.

Brazil, and there has been no such thing here as "better for the money" since like 20 years ago...

PSUs prices in the last years have pratically doubled. If you get a PSU cost in USD and multiply by 10 you should have the price in BRL.

10 minutes ago, Plake said:

Brazil, and there has been no such thing here as "better for the money" since like 20 years ago...

PSUs prices in the last years have pratically doubled. If you get a PSU cost in USD and multiply by 10 you should have the price in BRL.

... Yes, there is. How much is the CV650 - and if you can get a better power supply for the same amount of money, then it's better for the money

26 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

How much is the CV650 - and if you can get a better power supply for the same amount of money, then it's better for the money

460 BRL (about 85 USD), the VS 600 is the exact same price (?), the CX 550 is 520 BRL (97 USD) and the CX 650 is about 740 BRL (138 USD).

Around the same price but other brands there's Cooler Master 500w & 600W, XPG Pylon 650w, Gamdias Kratos 600W & 750w, all 80 plus bronze (same as CV).

1 minute ago, Plake said:

460 BRL (about 85 USD), the VS 600 is the exact same price (?), the CX 550 is 520 BRL (97 USD) and the CX 650 is about 740 BRL (138 USD).

Around the same price but other brands there's Cooler Master 500w & 600W, XPG Pylon 650w, Gamdias Kratos 600W & 750w, all 80 plus bronze (same as CV).

The CX 550 is worth the stretch over the CV 650, you're not going to max it out with your components. NVidia recommending a 650w PSU minimum for a 3070 is them being full of shit. Your system under full load is barely going to pull 400, let alone 500.

How much are Pure Power 11, Seasonic Focus/Core, Anted NeoEco/Earthwatts Gold? Those are normally available and affordable in developing countries, and they're all on par with the Corsair CX (grey label) PSUs

12 minutes ago, Gorilla Warfare said:

I heard Kabum had a batch of explodey ones so I'm steering clear of there for now.

13 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

How much are Pure Power 11, Seasonic Focus/Core, Anted NeoEco/Earthwatts Gold? Those are normally available and affordable in developing countries, and they're all on par with the Corsair CX (grey label) PSUs

On the store Gorilla sent I've only found Seasonic Focus 550W for 835 BRL (155 USD). I'm going to roll with the CV650 until I can get more cash for a better one.

6 minutes ago, Plake said:

I heard Kabum had a batch of explodey ones so I'm steering clear of there for now.

On the store Gorilla sent I've only found Seasonic Focus 550W for 835 BRL (155 USD). I'm going to roll with the CV650 until I can get more cash for a better one.

The CX550 is better than the CV650. It's actually a lot better. But do whatever you want, it's a free country (or at least I think it is)

6 hours ago, Plake said:

I've been reading some concerning things about the CV650 not lasting long.

Where?  CV650 actually has an amazingly low RMA rate.  Is it just one guy that posted in 20 different forums and 50 different sub-reddits?

6 hours ago, Elisis said:

Definitely CV650. It's on a much better platform that's actually suitable for running modern (high power) systems, unlike the former.

Actually, the CV650 and CX750 are both double forward with DC to DC for the +3.3V and +5V.  I wouldn't really say one is better than the other.

5 hours ago, Plake said:

The only difference between the CX750 with the "CX" in green and the one with "CX750" on a gray background is that the "green" is rated at 30°C while the "gray" is rated at 40°C.  There's only one CV version, and that's a "gray" label, but that product only just came out 1.5 years ago.

4 hours ago, Plake said:

Those are all long gone now.

It was the same issue the other Great Wall made PSUs (like SF and TX-M) had that were built within the same time period.  There was a contaminant in the insulator pads on the primary switchers.

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Actually, the CV650 and CX750 are both double forward with DC to DC for the +3.3V and +5V.  I wouldn't really say one is better than the other.

Ah, for some reason I thought CX750 green was group reg.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

1 hour ago, Elisis said:

Ah, for some reason I thought CX750 green was group reg.

Only 600W and below were group regulated.

15 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Only 600W and below were group regulated.

Yeah, I'm aware. I just thought that CX green 750W was still group regulated despite CXm green 750W being independant.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

2 minutes ago, Elisis said:

Yeah, I'm aware. I just thought that CX green 750W was still group regulated despite CXm green 750W being independant.

You're aware that 600W and below are group regulated, so assumed the 750W was as well?

The difference between the "green" and "gray" CX750 is that "green" is double forward and "gray" is LLC.

6 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

so assumed the 750W was as well?

Well, not really, it was more a result of reading incorrect information from the start.

7 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

The difference between the "green" and "gray" CX750 is that "green" is double forward and "gray" is LLC.

Yes... I know this.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

10 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Where?  CV650 actually has an amazingly low RMA rate.  Is it just one guy that posted in 20 different forums and 50 different sub-reddits?

I've seen a few commenters on national youtube videos saying that they get extremelly loud coil whine, some say they smell plastic burning when it first turned on and some saying it stopped working after a few months (one cited 20 months).

But that could've been the bad batch you mentioned, welp now it's wait and see, what you said at least put my mind at ease.