Types of Displays, PC and Phones

Hey guys,

Recently I've been been looking at the differences in displays/monitors. I've heard various differences between the different types but have never really seen supporting evidence from site to site on the various pros and cons. What I'm really wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as to where to figure out more about the display technology (retina, oled, led, lcd, tn?)? 

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

ips=Good viewing angles and nice color

LCD=good for higher hz but bad viewing angles

TN=Garbage

If I'm not mistaken, retina is just Apple's name for their high res IPS (I think) displays. There isn't really any way to learn about them other than researching each one individually. OLED displays are expensive and pretty hard to get right now. Most of the people here will recommend IPS or PLS panels as they have good colours and brilliant viewing angles. 

ips=Good viewing angles and nice color

LCD=good for higher hz but bad viewing angles

TN=Garbage

IPS panels are LCD (or LED) panels. 

If I'm not mistaken, retina is just Apple's name for their high res IPS (I think) displays. There isn't really any way to learn about them other than researching each one individually. OLED displays are expensive and pretty hard to get right now. Most of the people here will recommend IPS or PLS panels as they have good colours and brilliant viewing angles. 

Yep it's what they call their 300ppi ish or higher panels. 

That point about LCD is TN... 

Ok so I'm getting that (ips) is the way to go, but I heard that (oled) power on each pixel, one at a time as to conserve power. Is it not really worth the price if the monitor will be around for years? Or do I have it totally wrong and (oled) are really only for phones because that's where I've heard them talked about? Lastly would (LCD) really only practically be used for gaming/programs that would benefit from a higher refresh rate, and not necessarily from better color/image quality? (Again I might be mistaken you said hertz but I'm confused if you mean a bigger hertz on the graphics card or the display?)

Ok so I'm getting that (ips) is the way to go, but I heard that (oled) power on each pixel, one at a time as to conserve power. Is it not really worth the price if the monitor will be around for years? Or do I have it totally wrong and (oled) are really only for phones because that's where I've heard them talked about? Lastly would (LCD) really only practically be used for gaming/programs that would benefit from a higher refresh rate, and not necessarily from better color/image quality? (Again I might be mistaken you said hertz but I'm confused if you mean a bigger hertz on the graphics card or the display?)

I would go va, not ips

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I would go va, not ips

Ok but is there a place you can prove that it's better at something through reputable tests? Or is it more of a personal experience/preference?

Ok but is there a place you can prove that it's better at something through reputable tests? Or is it more of a personal experience/preference?

Can't really prove it better. Has less backlight bleed

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

TN panels can be good, not all are garbage, it really depends on the model rather than the technology. Really if you want you need to go to a store and see it by yourself and make your own conclusions.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

TN panels can be good, not all are garbage, it really depends on the model rather than the technology. Really if you want you need to go to a store and see it by yourself and make your own conclusions.

Ok well thanks everyone for the help.

I have a PLS monitor and I get upset whenever I have to look at a TN panel now..The colors and viewing angles are trash!