Gigabit Connection Limited to 100Mb?

ChalkChalkson

Hi!

I recently redid my homes networking, cat6 cableing, all gigabit switches. All my devices (at least those that support it) show gigabit connections. But when I write a large file from my computer to my NAS the speed is limited to ~100Mb/s significantly below the respective read and write speeds.

Any ideas what might be going on?

nGCEKpd.png

1 minute ago, ChalkChalkson said:

Hi!

I recently redid my homes networking, cat6 cableing, all gigabit switches. All my devices (at least those that support it) show gigabit connections. But when I write a large file from my computer to my NAS the speed is limited to ~100Mb/s significantly below the respective read and write speeds.

Any ideas what might be going on?

Is it megabytes (MB/s) or megabits (Mb/s)?

If it's megabits, you're fine.

elephants

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

Is it megabytes (MB/s) or megabits (Mb/s)?

If it's megabits, you're fine.

Mb. I'm such an idiot - I even took a screenshot and forgot to put it in the post O.o

Just now, ChalkChalkson said:

Mb. I'm such an idiot - I even took a screenshot and forgot to put it in the post O.o

The picture isn't working.

elephants

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

The picture isn't working.

Huh. Windows task manager shows 90MBit/s. No idea whats wrong with the picture - shows it fine on my end 

Just now, ChalkChalkson said:

Huh. Windows task manager shows 90MBit/s. No idea whats wrong with the picture - shows it fine on my end 

Do you have the 100 megabit limit on all systems or just yours?
What motherboard do you have?

elephants

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Do you have the 100 megabit limit on all systems or just yours?
What motherboard do you have?

MSI Z170 titanium on my PC and uh... some AsRock B365 on the NAS. I don't have a great way to test it from all systems, but when I'm very close in the network to the NAS I can write to it at Gb. And my PC can write to other PCs that are close in the network at Gb, too I think. 

what speeds do you pay for and how does your ISP write it?

my ISP sells packages as 100Mb/s which generally confuses people if they find out how to look at network speeds when downloading games on platforms such as steam, becasue there it's displayed as MB/s.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

1 minute ago, flashiling said:

what speeds do you pay for and how does your ISP write it?

my ISP sells packages as 100Mb/s which generally confuses people if they find out how to look at network speeds when downloading games on platforms such as steam, becasue there it's displayed as MB/s.

I'm talking about writes inside the network here, not my connection to the internet. Though when I had 200Mb/s internet I got those speeds on both my NAS and my PC

2 minutes ago, ChalkChalkson said:

I'm talking about writes inside the network here, not my connection to the internet. Though when I had 200Mb/s internet I got those speeds on both my NAS and my PC

ah okay, my reading error then.

Did your NAS and PC have gigabit networking ports?

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

how is your network laid out?

At a guess one of the uplinks between two switches is operating at 100mbit, perhaps due to a bad cable or similar.

Just now, flashiling said:

ah okay, my reading error then.

Did your NAS and PC have gigabit networking ports?

Jup, you can see in the screenshot that they both show that they are hooked up at gigabit. And again, both managed to get 200Mb to my router

Just now, Aragorn- said:

how is your network laid out?

router at ground level, cat6 patch running to a switch on the first floor and basement each, my PC and NAS are plugged into those respectively

yeah so it could be either the routers ports are not gigabit, or one of the links up/down arent running at gigabit. Usually theres a status light on the switch port which will tell you what speed its synced at, check those.

Task manager shows MB which is right at 100. Could you copy a large single file and send a SS of the progress bar?

Like this

image.png.633352a1333b67c5a84ea34d05c2516e.png

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

1 minute ago, Aragorn- said:

yeah so it could be either the routers ports are not gigabit, or one of the links up/down arent running at gigabit. Usually theres a status light on the switch port which will tell you what speed its synced at, check those.

The two switches are identical, they're Asus AC1900s which are gigabit switches (again I managed to get gigabit speeds to different point in the network through either of them)

2 minutes ago, Prodigy_Smit said:

Task manager shows MB which is right at 100. Could you copy a large single file and send a SS of the progress bar?

Like this

image.png.633352a1333b67c5a84ea34d05c2516e.png

Task manager network tab (what I show above) shows bit. The transfer window (what I showed there wasn't a windows file transfer so I can't take the corresponding snapshot) does show MB. Windows transfers when I do them tend to clock in at ~10MB/s

15 minutes ago, ChalkChalkson said:

The two switches are identical, they're Asus AC1900s which are gigabit switches (again I managed to get gigabit speeds to different point in the network through either of them)

an AC1900 is not a switch? but assuming your using one as a switch, i would suggest you check their link speed indicators on the trunk cables.

Just now, Aragorn- said:

an AC1900 is not a switch? but assuming your using one as a switch, i would suggest you check their link speed indicators on the trunk cables.

Yeah it's not a switch it's a router switch AP combo. But I use it as a switch + AP, got some for cheap a while ago.

What do you mean by trunk cables? The cables that go from the devices to the switches and switches to the patch panels? Those are all Gb. One of the first things I checked^^ 

trunk cables being the leads linking the switches together

If your PC really is connected at 1Gbit, and the NAS is connected at 1Gbit, the most obvious answer is the link between the basement and first floor is not at 1Gbit. A broken pair for instance might cause the interface to renegotiate to 100mbit (100BaseTX only uses two pairs, 1000BaseT uses all four)

Get yourself a laptop, connect it to the switch beside the NAS, and try copying data to the NAS. If you get full speed, go to the other end and try copying data to the PC. If that also works, go in the middle and try each way. That way you can narrow down exactly where the problem is.

11 minutes ago, Aragorn- said:

Get yourself a laptop, connect it to the switch beside the NAS, and try copying data to the NAS. If you get full speed, go to the other end and try copying data to the PC. If that also works, go in the middle and try each way. That way you can narrow down exactly where the problem is.

on it

26 minutes ago, Aragorn- said:

Appears that the link into the basement is limited to 100Mb - or at least plugging my laptop into that switch only allows me to transfer to it from my PC at 100Mb, while transfering to it when plugged into the ground floor router works at Gb. This is hella annoying the cable is pretty long and passes through multiple concrete walls / ceilings without cable channels O.o

you got a cable tester? try re-terminating the ends as a starting point, and check pinout is correct etc.

4 minutes ago, Aragorn- said:

you got a cable tester? try re-terminating the ends as a starting point, and check pinout is correct etc.

I terminated the ends pretty recently (like 3 weeks ago? the issue is a bit older) when I did I checked continuity with a multimeter - the cables are all in tact and wired up in matching ways. If you asked me whether I wired it matching or crosswired (A-A or A-B) I couldn't tell you though. Is that a potential cause?