Power Supply Recommendation?

KieronSmith

hey! So I'm looking to upgrade my rig, getting a new CPU and a new GPU (when they're available) and I'm currently hunting for a new PSU, I've found a antec HCG850, but as someone who's never purchased anything other than AMD, Corsair or MSI, I'm not sure if this would be a good pick. any help is appreciated and recommendations would be great too. my budget is £150

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

What specs are you going to get?

amd ryzen 3950x and when they're available the 3080ti or the 3080

6 minutes ago, KieronSmith said:

hey! So I'm looking to upgrade my rig, getting a new CPU and a new GPU (when they're available) and I'm currently hunting for a new PSU, I've found a antec HCG850, but as someone who's never purchased anything other than AMD, Corsair or MSI, I'm not sure if this would be a good pick. any help is appreciated and recommendations would be great too. my budget is £150

What CPU and GPU are you looking to get?

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

1 minute ago, 1ppOverheat said:

What CPU and GPU are you looking to get?

2 minutes ago, KieronSmith said:

amd ryzen 3090x

I suppose you meant 3900x.. For that combo i'd consider getting a 750W 80+ gold rated power supply. I always go for quality and reliability and that would mostly be from EVGA, Corsair and BeQuiet! Antec, Superflower and GameMax are fine too but those mostly go for more budget orientated builds.

Just now, KieronSmith said:

antec

that brands reputation is't that bad! i have found them very durable!

Corsair

if the psu will be from corsair, i would recommend it over any other PSU band, i've personally had many good experiences with corsair PSUs!

hey! i know to use a computer

Just now, 1ppOverheat said:

I suppose you meant 3900x.. For that i'd consider getting a 750W 80+ gold rated power supply. I always go for quality and reliability and that would mostly be from EVGA, Corsair and BeQuiet! Antec, Superflower and GameMax are fine too but those mostly go for more budget orientated builds.

that's my bad, i meant the 3950x. I was going to go for a 750w, but when I mentioned it to a friend he told me I was cutting it close due to "power consumption spikes" in the 3080 line

6 minutes ago, KieronSmith said:

From PCPP UK, I'd recommend the RM750x 2018 White for £120, or the RM850i for £140. They are quiet, and perform well. The RMi has software monitoring, and togglable multi rail OCP. The MSI A-GF 750W for £119 is another decent option. It has multi rail OCP, but a worse fan, so it likely won't be quiet as quiet as the RMx/i.

Just completely ignore the "advice" of anyone that recommends by 80+ rating and/or brand, as neither are relevant at all. Same as recommending someone a "4GB Asus GPU".

:)

If you're balling so much I'd not recommend a cheap Antec PSU. Look at a good quality Corsair RM850x/RM1000i. or something like a Seasonic.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

1 minute ago, KieronSmith said:

friend he told me I was cutting it close due to "power consumption spikes" in the 3080 line

I wouldn't really consider that the truth because the R9 3950x together with the rtx 3080 pulls out about 637.5W if we count the spikes during heavier loads... So i think 650W would be the border line for this combo. But maybe he just wasn't focusing on what he was saying so its fine. 

Here's what i'd recommend:

BeQuiet! STRAIGHT POWER 11 750W 80+Gold

Corsair RM750W 80+Gold

EVGA SuperNova G3 750W 80+Gold

(All of these are fully modular of course)

Just now, Statik said:

RM1000i

Is a bit overkill for this combo IMO

Just now, seon123 said:

From PCPP UK, I'd recommend the RM750x 2018 White for £120, or the RM850i for £140. They are quiet, and perform well. The RMi has software monitoring, and togglable multi rail OCP. The MSI A-GF 750W for £119 is another decent option. It has multi rail OCP, but a worse fan, so it likely won't be quiet as quiet as the RMx/i.

Just completely ignore the "advice" of anyone that recommends by 80+ rating and/or brand, as neither are relevant at all. Same as recommending someone a "4GB Asus GPU".

Thanks for the advice my guy! I had previous ordered the RM750 but cancelled it as I was "cutting it a bit close" in the eyes of a friend, as apparently the 3080GPU range has power consumption spikes. Is this true? I just wanna make sure, just incase I can just go back and by the RM750

I wouldn't really consider that the truth because the R9 3950x together with the rtx 3080 pulls out about 637.5W if we count the spikes during heavier loads... So i think 650W would be the border line for this combo. But maybe he just wasn't focusing on what he was saying so its fine. 

Here's what i'd recommend:

BeQuiet! STRAIGHT POWER 11 750W 80+Gold

Corsair RM750W 80+Gold

(All of these are fully modular of course)

Youre a G, thanks for the help my guy!

Thanks for the advice my guy! I had previous ordered the RM750 but cancelled it as I was "cutting it a bit close" in the eyes of a friend, as apparently the 3080GPU range has power consumption spikes. Is this true? I just wanna make sure, just incase I can just go back and by the RM750

Please read my reply. I recommended that PSU lmao

2 minutes ago, KieronSmith said:

Youre a G, thanks for the help my guy!

No problem, i got you. Always glad to help.

Please read my reply. I recommended that PSU lmao

I just did 🙂 thank you to the pair of you for your support, I really appreciate it!

I just did 🙂 thank you to the pair of you for your support, I really appreciate it!

No problem, i got you. Always glad to help. 

The 3080 does have high transients, and it does cause issues with some PSUs. Afaik, the RM750x should deal with it just fine, while e.g. a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W would possibly not.

4 minutes ago, Statik said:

If you're balling so much I'd not recommend a cheap Antec PSU. Look at a good quality Corsair RM850x/RM1000i. or something like a Seasonic.

Did you even spend 10 seconds to check the pricing in the UK for those...? Ah, yes, a Seasonic, totally useful. They have a range of PSUs, ranging from garbage to pretty decent. Common for all of them is a lack of multi rail OCP, crappy fans, and issues with transient spikes from higher end GPUs.

6 minutes ago, 1ppOverheat said:

the rtx 3080 pulls out about 637.5W

Sauce...? Especially since you have four significant figures, while the card to card variance can be at least several watts.

8 minutes ago, 1ppOverheat said:

A brilliant PSU, if the goal of the PC is to be as loud as possible.

6 minutes ago, seon123 said:

if the goal of the PC is to be as loud as possible.

hey, at least its gonna stay cool

30 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The 3080 does have high transients, and it does cause issues with some PSUs. Afaik, the RM750x should deal with it just fine, while e.g. a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W would possibly not.

Did you even spend 10 seconds to check the pricing in the UK for those...? Ah, yes, a Seasonic, totally useful. They have a range of PSUs, ranging from garbage to pretty decent. Common for all of them is a lack of multi rail OCP, crappy fans, and issues with transient spikes from higher end GPUs.

Sauce...? Especially since you have four significant figures, while the card to card variance can be at least several watts.

A brilliant PSU, if the goal of the PC is to be as loud as possible.

I didn't check the price, but I'm suggesting he raises his PSU budget. Balling out on a 16c/32t CPU and top of the line GPU but cheaping out on a PSU is a bad idea.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

19 minutes ago, Statik said:

I didn't check the price, but I'm suggesting he raises his PSU budget. Balling out on a 16c/32t CPU and top of the line GPU but cheaping out on a PSU is a bad idea.

The budget is already high enough. The problem with your recommendations is the context. The RM850x is £134, so £6 less than the RMi. The RM1000i is not only unnecessary, but £250. Seasonic's PSUs... Are just a no. Cost more than better options from other companies, and they also have issues with transients.

10 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The budget is already high enough. The problem with your recommendations is the context. The RM850x is £134, so £6 less than the RMi. The RM1000i is not only unnecessary, but £250. Seasonic's PSUs... Are just a no. Cost more than better options from other companies, and they also have issues with transients.

I understand the budget is high, but pouring all your money into a good rig but skimping on something as crucial as a PSU is bad. It's like custom building a nice car, but putting for Fiesta breaks in it. Sure it'll work, but if you have problems, it's probably gonna be big.

I'm not shopping and crunching numbers for him. I literally gave him a couple options to look into and my own 2c.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro