Black screen with GPU

Hello,

Yesterday I started having problems with my GPU (R9 270x), when I'm playing a game or watching videos (from times to times) sudenly my screen becomes black, audio and proccess continue, but I get a black screen until I restart my PC. Any ideas why this is happening? Cheers!

How are your drivers? Do you regularly update them?

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

5 minutes ago, 1ppOverheat said:

How are your drivers? Do you regularly update them?

I'm on the last version (after fresh windows install)

1 minute ago, SAndreev said:

I'm on the last version (after fresh windows install)

Have you DDU'd your drivers? If not then you should try that to begin with.If you don't know what it is I think LTT and/or Jayztwocents has videos on how to do it.

GPU: RTX 2080 Super                                                                             Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK.2 RGB

CPU: i7-9700K                                                                                       MouseLogitech G PRO Wireless
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengance PRO                                                         Headset: Corsair HS70 PRO Wireless

PSU: CX650F                                                                                         MousepadCorsair MM500 Extended 3XL
MOBO: Asus Prime Z390-A                                                                     ControllerDualSense 5

Case: Lian Li Lancool II                                                                          CameraCanon EOS M50

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G5                                                                      CoolingCorsair H100i Platinum

The white Rabbit                                                                                           MicrophoneTrust GXT 252+

This also could be a sign of your GPU dying, but that is most likely not your case.

Really depends on how you use your card and how old it is.

10 minutes ago, 1ppOverheat said:

This also could be a sign of your GPU dying, but that is most likely not your case.

Really depends on how you use your card and how old it is.

I think the tempetures are fine, the card in not loud or anything like that. Before the problem came up I played games link LoL (ulta), RDR2 (low-med), fifa 20 (ultra) no problems

I'll check that DDU @MorbidAngel is talking about 

17 minutes ago, MorbidAngel said:

Have you DDU'd your drivers? If not then you should try that to begin with.If you don't know what it is I think LTT and/or Jayztwocents has videos on how to do it.

So the idea is to uninstall the current driver and install the newest one?

2 minutes ago, SAndreev said:

I think the tempetures are fine, the card in not loud or anything like that. Before the problem came up I played games link LoL (ulta), RDR2 (low-med), fifa 20 (ultra) no problems

I'll check that DDU @MorbidAngel is talking about 

Yes, please do and then come back.

I so, I did the DDU thing, didn't changed anything. After that I opened the case and reconnected all of the cables again. Runned few games, runned valley test and I didn't recive black screen, for now atleast. I'll get back to you guys if I do. Don't know what happened 

5 hours ago, SAndreev said:

So the idea is to uninstall the current driver and install the newest one?

3 hours ago, SAndreev said:

I so, I did the DDU thing, didn't changed anything. After that I opened the case and reconnected all of the cables again. Runned few games, runned valley test and I didn't recive black screen, for now atleast. I'll get back to you guys if I do. Don't know what happened 

Yes what DDU does is that it removes ALL the GPU drivers and every trace of them. Sometimes old driver files etc can mess with your system and DDU'ing your drivers is a good way of ruling out driver issues. Make sure you watch a video on how to do it. Since you need to boot it in safe mode without internet access when using the program!

GPU: RTX 2080 Super                                                                             Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK.2 RGB

CPU: i7-9700K                                                                                       MouseLogitech G PRO Wireless
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengance PRO                                                         Headset: Corsair HS70 PRO Wireless

PSU: CX650F                                                                                         MousepadCorsair MM500 Extended 3XL
MOBO: Asus Prime Z390-A                                                                     ControllerDualSense 5

Case: Lian Li Lancool II                                                                          CameraCanon EOS M50

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G5                                                                      CoolingCorsair H100i Platinum

The white Rabbit                                                                                           MicrophoneTrust GXT 252+

45 minutes ago, MorbidAngel said:

Yes what DDU does is that it removes ALL the GPU drivers and every trace of them. Sometimes old driver files etc can mess with your system and DDU'ing your drivers is a good way of ruling out driver issues. Make sure you watch a video on how to do it. Since you need to boot it in safe mode without internet access when using the program!

He reinstalled windows. There is no old drivers left.

1 minute ago, Talesofwin said:

He reinstalled windows. There is no old drivers left.

Well, I runed windows update, after the installation, it may have installed wrong driver or something, usually it's quite accurate. but who knows. I've uninstalled the drivers with DDU, and installed the new ones, but that didn't help.

6 hours ago, SAndreev said:

Well, I runed windows update, after the installation, it may have installed wrong driver or something, usually it's quite accurate. but who knows. I've uninstalled the drivers with DDU, and installed the new ones, but that didn't help.

Whats your PSU?

I agree with @Talesofwin here with what PSU you have, perhaps even some details about your rig such as CPU/RAM/Mobo/storage devices in addition to what make and model PSU you have??

On a side note, when was the last time you repasted your 270X?? I have two from my first build many years ago and I'm sure by now, the thermal paste is completely dried out, resulting in the loss of heat transfer between the GPU die and coldplate, although you aren't experiencing high temperature (use MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision X1, or HWinfo64 to get accurate temperature readings). 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

8 hours ago, SpiderMan said:

I agree with @Talesofwin here with what PSU you have, perhaps even some details about your rig such as CPU/RAM/Mobo/storage devices in addition to what make and model PSU you have??

On a side note, when was the last time you repasted your 270X?? I have two from my first build many years ago and I'm sure by now, the thermal paste is completely dried out, resulting in the loss of heat transfer between the GPU die and coldplate, although you aren't experiencing high temperature (use MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision X1, or HWinfo64 to get accurate temperature readings). 

@Talesofwin @SpiderMan Sure, the specifications of the pc are as follows:

CPU: i5-4570

GPU: SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 270X OC 2GB

RAM: 12gb DDR3 1600 (1x8 + 1x4)

SSD: 500GB Silicon Power

MOBO: ASRock H81M-DG4

PSU: CoolerMaster 600W Elite V3

I think that the PSU is capable enough to handle the hardware.

I’ll try to monitor the GPU temperatures. Actually, it may be a silly question but, the termal paste for applying on the CPU and the GPU are the same right?

Cheers!

3 hours ago, SAndreev said:

@Talesofwin @SpiderMan Sure, the specifications of the pc are as follows:

CPU: i5-4570

GPU: SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 270X OC 2GB

RAM: 12gb DDR3 1600 (1x8 + 1x4)

SSD: 500GB Silicon Power

MOBO: ASRock H81M-DG4

PSU: CoolerMaster 600W Elite V3

I think that the PSU is capable enough to handle the hardware.

I’ll try to monitor the GPU temperatures. Actually, it may be a silly question but, the thermal paste for applying on the CPU and the GPU are the same right?

Cheers!

That power supply might be a problem as its not the best on the market and should be avoided. How long have you had this PSU???

Applying thermal paste on the CPU and GPU are essentially the same (use isopropyl alcohol High %) and anything that won't leave fibers/tiny strands of the material from the cloth on the IHS/die and cooler coldplate, reapply thermal paste, place cooler and make sure to not life the cooler off as it may introduce air bubbles that will be trapped in the paste, retighten the GPU backplate and attach all screws and that's pretty much it, reverse order to change the paste. If you are unsure, you can always try and look for guides on this exact model on how to replace the thermal paste on YouTube or across other websites. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 hour ago, SpiderMan said:

That power supply might be a problem as its not the best on the market and should be avoided. How long have you had this PSU???

Applying thermal paste on the CPU and GPU are essentially the same (use isopropyl alcohol High %) and anything that won't leave fibers/tiny strands of the material from the cloth on the IHS/die and cooler coldplate, reapply thermal paste, place cooler and make sure to not life the cooler off as it may introduce air bubbles that will be trapped in the paste, retighten the GPU backplate and attach all screws and that's pretty much it, reverse order to change the paste. If you are unsure, you can always try and look for guides on this exact model on how to replace the thermal paste on YouTube or across other websites. 

The PSU is brand new, 2 weeks old

50 minutes ago, SAndreev said:

The PSU is brand new, 2 weeks old

How much did you pay for this PSU??? If it's in the return window, I'd swap it out ASAP.

16 hours ago, SpiderMan said:

How much did you pay for this PSU??? If it's in the return window, I'd swap it out ASAP.

Is it that bad, why would you assume it’s bad, so I know next time buying one

6 hours ago, SAndreev said:

Is it that bad, why would you assume it’s bad, so I know next time buying one

It's a bad unit that came out a long time ago where more modern day PSUs have better/more protections than this PSU has for the price and few protections.