How to make 5.1 surround sound system wireless

LpoolTech
Go to solution Solved by tikker,
4 minutes ago, LpoolTech said:

If only I'm afraid its a lost battle we done a major renovation few years back I wired all the flat with cat6 but did not think about speakers wire, there also isn't a clean way to hide the wires. I can't go in to the walls (brick), we don't have carpets (hardwood floor) and two of the walls I would need to pass along are mostly empty. It's not a big deal in the end, I will have better audio setup in my office 😄 

I'm guessing the surrounds are the biggest issue? Are you close to walls? The front and centre cables are easily hidden behind a TV stand. For the surrounds you could perhaps look into cable gutters to run along the floor/corner/ceiling? There's also something called Ghost Wire you could look into (thin and flat cables), but they do seem to require some proprietary stuff to terminate properly.

Hi there! 

I've been given and older 5.1 sound surround system and I would like to use with my TV. The system consist of one sub-woofer with all the connections and 5 wired speakers (standard Spring Clips connector), now I would like to make the 5 speakers wireless I've seen some options such as Amphony Wireless Speaker Kit but they only support two speakers, also the extra receivers would need to be plugged it(they also aren't available in Spain where I live). 

The perfect setup for me would be wire free I don't mind if I would need to charge them from time to time(build in battery) but needing power cable from any type of receiver its a deal breaker, I can just run a speaker wire.

Looking forward to your suggestions!

On 1/30/2021 at 7:21 PM, LpoolTech said:

Hi there! 

I've been given and older 5.1 sound surround system and I would like to use with my TV. The system consist of one sub-woofer with all the connections and 5 wired speakers (standard Spring Clips connector), now I would like to make the 5 speakers wireless I've seen some options such as Amphony Wireless Speaker Kit but they only support two speakers, also the extra receivers would need to be plugged it(they also aren't available in Spain where I live). 

The perfect setup for me would be wire free I don't mind if I would need to charge them from time to time(build in battery) but needing power cable from any type of receiver its a deal breaker, I can just run a speaker wire.

Looking forward to your suggestions!

You speakers are probably not powered and take their power from the cable so even if you made the connection wireless you would need batteries for each individual speaker.

Lets say you find a way to power the speakers and then have some wireless connection instead of a wire, who says that every individual wireless connection will have the same latency, your speakers will not be in sync.

Its a complicated endeavor.  Its not that hard to hide the wires

On 1/30/2021 at 6:39 PM, Biomecanoid said:

snip

Thank you for your answer! My better half wont accept any wires🤦‍♂️, so I will use it as replacement for my current 2.1 PC speakers just need to get 3 x 3.5mm to 2 RCA cables so I can connect it to my motherboard audio

5 minutes ago, LpoolTech said:

Thank you for your answer! My better half wont accept any wires🤦‍♂️, so I will use it as replacement for my current 2.1 PC speakers just need to get 3 x 3.5mm to 2 RCA cables so I can connect it to my motherboard audio

Your better half will accept wires is she does not know they are there and can't she them. I am sure you can find a way to hide them.

I have moved several times to different house and i always find a way to hide speaker and ethernet wires.

11 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

Your better half will accept wires is she does not know they are there and can't she them. I am sure you can find a way to hide them.

I have moved several times to different house and i always find a way to hide speaker and ethernet wires.

If only I'm afraid its a lost battle we've done a major renovation few years back. I wired all the flat with cat6 but did not think about speakers wire, there also isn't a clean way to hide the wires. I can't go in to the walls (brick), we don't have carpets (hardwood floor) and two of the walls I would need to pass along are mostly empty. It's not a big deal in the end, I will have better audio setup in my office 😄 

4 minutes ago, LpoolTech said:

If only I'm afraid its a lost battle we done a major renovation few years back I wired all the flat with cat6 but did not think about speakers wire, there also isn't a clean way to hide the wires. I can't go in to the walls (brick), we don't have carpets (hardwood floor) and two of the walls I would need to pass along are mostly empty. It's not a big deal in the end, I will have better audio setup in my office 😄 

I'm guessing the surrounds are the biggest issue? Are you close to walls? The front and centre cables are easily hidden behind a TV stand. For the surrounds you could perhaps look into cable gutters to run along the floor/corner/ceiling? There's also something called Ghost Wire you could look into (thin and flat cables), but they do seem to require some proprietary stuff to terminate properly.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1 minute ago, tikker said:

yeah surrounds are the issue here, the ghost wire looks really interesting little pricey but a cool solution! Thanks 

13 minutes ago, LpoolTech said:

yeah surrounds are the issue here, the ghost wire looks really interesting little pricey but a cool solution! Thanks 

You could always try for some knock-off or not-as-flat normal flat speaker wire

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

you can connect it with wires to a dac that supports bluetooth, and connect the source to that dac via bluetooth.  something like the sound blaster x7