I believe I set up the RAID array. Can someone help confirm?

40 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You probably don't need to use gpu passthough for it to launch, but gpu performance will suck if it doesn't have access to a real gpu.

Id seutp proxmox on the host. Give the sold works vm a gpu, and give everything virtual gpus.

Just give proxmox a shot.

Sounds good. Before I give this a shot, I want to make sure that what I'm doing will be correct:

1. Plug in ProxMox bootable USB. Will automatically delete already existent partitions and CentOS

2.  Set up VMs (CentOS and WinServer)

3. Download RDP on CentOS and WinServer

4. Download OpenVPN on laptop so I can use it to access the server. The IP that will be used will be the public IP address of the home router, which the server is connected to via ethernet.

5. use ProxMox web interface on laptop to select which VM will be used

6. Once ProxMox web interface is used to decide which VM will be opened, use RDP (Parsec may be used for 3D displays) to interface with the GUI of the VM.

7. Passthrough GPU to the VMs (will be done last bc I have yet to purchase the graphics card).

Is this the best step-by-step way for me to go about achieving this, or is there something else I should do?

Also, do I need to do any configuration work like what I did first with the SSD connected to the raid card, or is that done automatically by ProxMox?

1. Yup Id use ZFS for storage when it gives you the option

2. Yup

3. RDP is included in winserver, use vnc or ssh for linux. Parsec is better if you want good gui performance

4. Yup

5. Yup, web interface controls everything in proxmox

6. Yup

7. Yup Make sure you enable the iommu in the bios and vt-d and set the grub options(lots of guides ou thtere.

You can keep the raid array you seutp already, thats really the only option for a single drive.

Yea this is basically the best way to do ti.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

1. Yup Id use ZFS for storage when it gives you the option

2. Yup

3. RDP is included in winserver, use vnc or ssh for linux. Parsec is better if you want good gui performance

4. Yup

5. Yup, web interface controls everything in proxmox

6. Yup

7. Yup Make sure you enable the iommu in the bios and vt-d and set the grub options(lots of guides ou thtere.

You can keep the raid array you seutp already, thats really the only option for a single drive.

Yea this is basically the best way to do ti.

Will do, thanks!

Out of curiosity, how do I select which VM I'll use in the ProxMox web interface?

Also, does ProxMox installer allow me to decide how much storage goes to each VM? Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Mega2 said:

Will do, thanks!

Out of curiosity, how do I select which VM I'll use in the ProxMox web interface?

Also, does ProxMox installer allow me to decide how much storage goes to each VM? Thanks!

IN proxmox's web ui, you can select all the vms here, 

image.png.75b4f1d5bdb9811c554bf065e1909b98.png

Just double click the vm and you get a browser windows with the remote session

image.thumb.png.d447a7cb653d283524ef80329ef5ba9a.png

VM storage is all done after the install, and can be changed as needed. All you setup is the boot drives in the installer.

10 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

IN proxmox's web ui, you can select all the vms here, 

image.png.75b4f1d5bdb9811c554bf065e1909b98.png

Just double click the vm and you get a browser windows with the remote session

image.thumb.png.d447a7cb653d283524ef80329ef5ba9a.png

VM storage is all done after the install, and can be changed as needed. All you setup is the boot drives in the installer.

Sounds good, should I enable the IOMMU in the bios and VT-d and set the grub option before doing everything?

Just now, Mega2 said:

Sounds good, should I enable the IOMMU in the bios and VT-d and set the grub option before doing everything?

Yea enable vt-d in the bios.

You have to install proxmox before you can change grub options, good amount of guides out there on that.

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea enable vt-d in the bios.

You have to install proxmox before you can change grub options, good amount of guides out there on that.

Awesome, and just to confirm plugging in the bootable ProxMox USB will clean up the current CentOS system installed and get rid of any info that might already be present on the hard drive?

1 minute ago, Mega2 said:

Awesome, and just to confirm plugging in the bootable ProxMox USB will clean up the current CentOS system installed and get rid of any info that might already be present on the hard drive?

Yup, it will delete any data on the disk(you have to confirm first though)

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yup, it will delete any data on the disk(you have to confirm first though)

Awesome, thanks again for all your help!

Out of curiosity, would Win10 work instead of WinServer? There's a cost associated with WinServer after 180 days and I'd like to avoid any proprietary programs if I can.

1 hour ago, Mega2 said:

Awesome, thanks again for all your help!

Out of curiosity, would Win10 work instead of WinServer? There's a cost associated with WinServer after 180 days and I'd like to avoid any proprietary programs if I can.

It shoudl work fine in win 10, but vms are easy to make, try both.

ALso that 180 day trail can be renewed like 6 times.

On 1/31/2021 at 11:14 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

It shoudl work fine in win 10, but vms are easy to make, try both.

ALso that 180 day trail can be renewed like 6 times.

Hi again,

Do you know if ProxMox can be used to create/run 2 VMs and the webInterface without VT-d being enabled? I ask this only because I wasn't able to find the option to enable VT-d in BIOS. I know my BIOS and processor supports it, but for whatever reason I just can't find it.

7 minutes ago, Mega2 said:

Hi again,

Do you know if ProxMox can be used to create/run 2 VMs and the webInterface without VT-d being enabled? I ask this only because I wasn't able to find the option to enable VT-d in BIOS. I know my BIOS and processor supports it, but for whatever reason I just can't find it.

Yea you don't need vt-d to make vms at all. VT-d is only needed for pcie passthrough

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea you don't need vt-d to make vms at all. VT-d is only needed for pcie passthrough

Gotcha, thanks.