Raid 1 and 5 Simultanously on the same card

ace2k8

Building a server for a customer looking for a Raid card that will do Raid 1 and Raid 5 Simultaneously with 2 separate raid arrays.  The setup needs to be a Raid 1 for the OS and a Raid 5 for a data partition.  He needs 0 Down time if a drive fails not to worried about the Raid 5 Just worried about the OS Drives on Raid 1.   Also looking for a Case that has a Hot-swap bay in the front that does not cost too much with LED Indicators in the front. 

As far as I know you would need 2 raid controllers, and you wouldnt be able to span drives across the 2 controllers

Would running the whole system in raid 10 be practical? for increased performance and data redundancy?

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

As far as I know you would need 2 raid controllers, and you wouldnt be able to span drives across the 2 controllers

Would running the whole system in raid 10 be practical? for increased performance and data redundancy?

Running multiple RAID volums on a single controller is fine. Every RAID controller that I hve come across can do this.

It is true that he wouldnt be able to share disks between the volumes, but having two different volumes that use different disks is fine.

Building a server for a customer looking for a Raid card that will do Raid 1 and Raid 5 Simultaneously with 2 separate raid arrays.  The setup needs to be a Raid 1 for the OS and a Raid 5 for a data partition.  He needs 0 Down time if a drive fails not to worried about the Raid 5 Just worried about the OS Drives on Raid 1.   Also looking for a Case that has a Hot-swap bay in the front that does not cost too much with LED Indicators in the front. 

What budget? If its for a business/mission critical application then why not get something from Dell or HP with an SLA?

We where looking at a Dell or HP PC but there is not budget for a system like this.  But as far as a Price we are trying to pay about 1500 for the whole thing.  We have the Drives, Ram, Motherboard, CPU, Cooling and Power supply.  Any raid cards you could pot out for me that i could get that supports the 2 raids i need.  

There is no such thing as zero downtime, its best you plan for it in the build. You can improve it with an exact replica of the server on a separate rack with separate power (different power source than the other server) and separate internet (router/switch). All good plans always leave out the failure mode that actually happens, things like a rodent eating the wires, upstairs company has a major water leak, car rams in to building, and so on.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Well not 100% 0 down time i mean down time if 1 of the drives faill. Could they replaces the drive with out shutting down the PC or replacing the drive after hours.  

Yes, hot swapping is always a good solution, but one that should be tested and documented before it it deployed. Just because the controller says it can do it does not mean it is how one imagines it.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Thanks guys you get me the right information for the customers build